notalec's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Reporting a Local Guide or reporting content on Google Maps

I am not sure how to go about reporting a local guide.  I think it is fair to assume that a person that lives in our community named [redacted] does not represent our community values and should have his reviews removed and account banned.[redacted] is a well known and unapologetic white supremacist. He has several convictions for felony hate crimes and has continued his hateful ways even after serving many years in prison for these activities.  I recently stumbled across his local guide account and noticed he wrote a glowing review for the "wolf-clan armory", a local hang out for people that share his worldviews.  He then went onto writing a large number of brief reviews for places like "Mcdonalds" and Burger King" to elevate his status as a local guide and lend credibility to his review of the armory. Below is a link to a news article about his latest arrest and another to his local guide account. 

<REDACTED NEWS STORY>

<REDACTED GOOGLE MAPS PROFILE>

11 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Jake Laskey

Hi @notalec

I wanted to let you know that I removed the news article and the Google Maps profile from your post as we respect everyone's privacy here on the Connect forums. We have a procedure in place for reporting a Local Guide or content on Google Maps. In this case, you simply would need to tag a Google moderator and we will reach out to you via private message with further instructions.

Please understand that we can escalate issues shared by the community but we are unable to share the results of any investigation with you. Content on Google Maps is only removed if it does not adhere to Google Maps Contributed Content policy.  So teams investigating this are not taking a measure of the person sharing the content, but rather of the content itself.

I will reach out to you via private message with further instructions.

I am not available to respond on the weekend

View solution in original post

Level 8

Hi @Shirley please look into the matter. Thanks @notalec for share with us.

Connect Moderator

@notalec, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Unfortunately, here on Local Guides Connect we do not mention people's names out of respect for privacy. 

I am tagging Google Moderators @BruceDM @Atsukot to review your post and contact you directly.

Cheers,

Karen

Solution

Hi @notalec

I wanted to let you know that I removed the news article and the Google Maps profile from your post as we respect everyone's privacy here on the Connect forums. We have a procedure in place for reporting a Local Guide or content on Google Maps. In this case, you simply would need to tag a Google moderator and we will reach out to you via private message with further instructions.

Please understand that we can escalate issues shared by the community but we are unable to share the results of any investigation with you. Content on Google Maps is only removed if it does not adhere to Google Maps Contributed Content policy.  So teams investigating this are not taking a measure of the person sharing the content, but rather of the content itself.

I will reach out to you via private message with further instructions.

Level 4

When I follow the link to report a local guide it says I do not have permissions to access that feature.

What about public figures? This individual regards themselves as something of a public figure.  Surely someone who holds themselves in that regard has already consented to a reduced level of privacy. 

I understand you have policies and procedures in place. But they are difficult to find and difficult to use. And when it comes to individuals like this in my community I have no qualms using whatever tools are available. 

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

hi @notalec - Pardon me -  This post can be referenced instead. It lives in the Help Desk section of our website.

We support free expression here on Connect but we absolutely do not condone discussion around the disapproval of others based on their status, nationality, identity or orientation. The same policies apply to Google Maps but such activity needs to be present for teams to take action of any kind.  Here are the program terms and conditions for Local Guides Connect.

Level 8

I would like to report local guide who is duplicating his own photos to many locations. And this is destroying the location reputation and making public confuse on which image of the location is correct.

Level 8

@BruceDM Wow - I think that Google’s position on this is kind of noble. It’s a tightrope act, figuring out what’s fair and just and serves the needs of the users, but I applaud the stance y’all have taken.

In debate, we always abhorred the ad hominem attack - it isn’t real debate. No matter how objectionable our opponents, we were only debating properly if we attaked their arguments (content), not their character.

I see parallels in Google’s policies, and I applaud it.

Level 4

The person in question is now back in jail for violent crimes. He has been gaming the google review system in order to promote a well know white supremsist hang out in creswell Oregon. He has submitted a total of 88 reviews. If you’re not familiar with the significance of that number I suggest you look it up. His reviews include a review for Burger King that states “they have food here”. This account is clearly a transparent attempt to utilize google reviews to promote hate speech. 

Tolernece should not extend to views of intolerance. 

His name is jake laskey. I don’t care if that against the rules. These scum need to be called out by name. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/09/oregon...

Hello @kmichaelcook,

Thank you for your feedback.

@TSKBabanoor and @notalec - I can send you both private messages again on reporting the Local Guides or Google Maps content if you have not received one already from another member of our team.