Rodrigo_P's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps

Googler

UPDATE: As of June 11, 2020, we now have a new process in place for reporting abusive activity on Google Maps. You can report entire profiles on Google Maps from your mobile device. Read this post to learn more.

Have you ever come across a place on Google Maps that doesn’t really exist? How about a place with incorrect details that look suspicious? These edits violate the Google My Business guidelines and Local Guides guidelines, and they’re considered fraud.

People post fraud on Google Maps for the sake of profit-generating scams, which hurt legitimate businesses and make Maps less useful for everyone. You can help fight spam by reporting violations.

Maps listings with keywords in their address fieldsMaps listings with keywords in their address fields

.:: How do I identify fraud on Google Maps? Look for the following.

• Businesses that list a P.O. Box, post office or virtual office as an address. A business needs to have a real-world address to be listed on Google Maps. Virtual offices and shared workspaces are acceptable if they’re staffed during typical business hours, but be aware that using these types of places as addresses is a popular fraud technique. P.O. Boxes are OK in countries where they are essential, such as Kenya and the U.A.E.
  • Online-only businesses. Online businesses that don’t meet customers face-to-face are not eligible to be on Maps.
  • Businesses that don’t exist. If a business is on Maps but is not real, it should be reported.
  • Businesses that use employees’ addresses. The scam here is to make it appear that the business has locations in places where it doesn’t actually operate. If you see a business that seems to be in a purely residential area, this might be the reason.
  • Keyword “stuffing.” If you see search terms “stuffed” into place names or address fields, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Fake websites or phone numbers. For example, a fraudulent hotel listing might include a hotel booking site instead of a site for an individual business. If a business’s site seems broken or distributes malware, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Business impersonators: Some people create fake listings for real businesses, such as national chains. If you think a listing might be fraudulent, check the brand’s official site to see its legitimate locations.
  • Reviews that point out abuse. Sometimes, people will notice a fraudulent listing and note it in a review.
  • Profanity. Sometimes, people will deface legitimate listings with edits that include foul language.
  • Illegal businesses: If a business is illegal where it operates, it can’t be on Google Maps.

.::How do I report fraud on Google Maps?

1. Find the business on Google Maps
  2. Scroll down and select Suggest an edit
  3. Tap Place is permanently closed or has never existed
  4. Select Spam, fake or offensive as the reason
  5. Tap Submit

Report the listing as spam flowReport the listing as spam flow

.::Reporting a Local Guide

If you've found a Local Guide contributing content or behaving in a way that seems to violate our policies or Local Guides program rules, you now have the ability to report these profiles directly in the Google Maps app. In order to do so, click on the user name in the list of Reviews/Photos they contributed or the Question/Answer they posted to get to their profile page. Once on their profile page, click on the three dot icon. Choose ‘Report’ from the menu on iOS or ‘Report profile’ on Android. For additional information, read this post.

.::Reporting spammed, fake, or duplicate prominent locations to Google Moderators

There are certain prominent places which Local Guides can’t edit in Google Maps, such as cities, towns, rivers, natural formations, and more. If you come across a spammed, fake or duplicate location for which you cannot submit an edit or your edit is automatically rejected, let us know in a comment below. Make sure to tag a Google Moderator and provide the following details: 

• Google Maps URL of the location (Eg: https://goo.gl/maps/qAZfCWDfZzoqchHL9);
  • What’s wrong with the place? Is it spammed, fake, or duplicate?
  • Which is the wrong information? Is it the name, category, or contact information?
  • What should the correct information be? Tell us the original name of the place in English and in the local language (if applicable), the right category (Zoo, Museum, etc.), and the correct contact information (official website, address, phone number, etc.).
2,851 Comments
Former Google Contributor

Hello @bhaskar_arin,

Please take a look at this topic that is going to explain how to proceed in such cases - How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps.

Please note that I have moved your topic here - How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 8

Hi @GeorgesHR,

We are reporting and removing those locations, in the next week they are adding new ones, we need to find out before adding

Check phone numberCheck phone number

Check phone numberCheck phone number

Bhaskar

Hey @bhaskar_arin,

Thanks for clarifying. I will send you a private message with more information.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators

Thanks for more info! I just keep learning and learning about this programme. Thakyou very much for such good posts.

ChristineBrandon

Thankyou very much for so much information!

ChristineBrandon
Level 1

hi Bruce - could you send me a direct message about the same subject.

just spotted a local guide with a very suspicious review pattern (either 1star or 5star) and I noticed this on my fave local restaurant which is widely acknowledged as excellent which was given 1star - that made me look at the reviewers other reviews and its very suspicious to either have max or min across the board

cheers,

Komfy

Level 5

@Komfy wrote:

hi Bruce - could you send me a direct message about the same subject.

just spotted a local guide with a very suspicious review pattern (either 1star or 5star) and I noticed this on my fave local restaurant which is widely acknowledged as excellent which was given 1star - that made me look at the reviewers other reviews and its very suspicious to either have max or min across the board

cheers,

Komfy

@Komfy . First of all warm welcome to this community. Search this community for the answer before posting. This issue was discussed many times alteady

Level 10

Dear @iambenlaw,

Appreciating your effort, can you please explain or share the link

Level 6

@JohnPeter I can't share the email address as Google would prefer to keep it private. A mod will need to dm you with link. 

@BruceDM would you be so kind as to assist @JohnPeter please. Thanks for your assistance once again.

Level 1

I would like to report a spammer as well (level 10) in NYC area for posting irrelevant stock photos for various locations

Hi @nathan_yuen and @speedy3377,

Thanks for reaching out. I will send you private messages with instructions how you can report these Local Guides.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

I would like to report user or local guides that are posting irrelevant post and picture on google maps.

now my approach is to flag every picture one by one. that is very time consuming.

i was also searching for museums but i came a cross that lots of ppl are spamming G map.

i noticed some ppl are marking their student housing as museum. and they are writing review about their accommodation and posting picture of their dinning time under museum category . It can be frustrating for ppl that are trusting everything they see.

i wish Google had more restricted policy 

The Hague Local Guides Community
https://plus.google.com/communities/113132801025566159822

Hi @AliBijani,

I will send the instructions to you too. Thanks for reaching out here. 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

@NadyaPN

i noticed lots of irrelevant picture that are uploaded on google maps are due to mobile google map feature.

the feature that automatically tag a location to your pictures in your mobile and ask them to uploaded it on the Gmap.

this feature is causing  some issue in my eyes. 

1. cause of low accuracy of GPS location some picture getting wrong location suggestion.

2. make people upload their family pictures on google map ( if I search for a museum or restaurant, a series of family pictures of a person on that place is irrelevant for me.

3. For people that are not good with computer it might cause unintentionally privacy issues.

solution:

I.e

the Auto suggestion should be equipped with a facial detection, that does not suggest closeup picture of a person for a location.

of course the can be lots  of other approaches.

king regards

Ali Bijani 

The Hague Local Guides Community
https://plus.google.com/communities/113132801025566159822
Level 7

Lately, I've noticed that a lot of people are writing reviews for the wrong place. They're not local guides - just random people writing reviews.

For instance, there's a very old, historic ferry that crosses a local river. It's been around since the 1600s and has upgraded over time, but it's still very basic, with room for a couple cars, bikes and a bench for people to sit. People love it and come from all over to experience it.

Near the ferry is a local restaurant. The two are not related or connected at all, but people are always writing their restaurant reviews on the ferry page. I think part of it has to do with how people talk about the area, and I imagine some people think they're related. It's very common for someone to say, "I'm going to go eat at the ferry tonight," when they mean, "I'm going to go eat at the restaurant near the ferry."

Is there anything that can be done about reviews like that? The ferry is run by the government transportation department, and I'm guessing they don't monitor the reviews like a business owner might.

I've seen similar reviews for shopping malls, where someone is complaining that "they" didn't take back a return and will never shop their again, but the review is for the actual mall rather than one of the stores.

Level 3

Hi, I would to report  a reviewer. He reviewed A LOT of places with a VERY BAD rating WITHOUT EVEN WROTE THE REASONS.
Please contact me.

Hi @Skippermark,

I just wanted to let you know that you question has already been answered in this topic. I'm moving your post to there, feel free to check it out. 

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

Thanks @FelipePK. I had searched before posting but didn't see anything. Probably didn't phrase the words exactly right.

Level 7

I'll make another observation/comment.  While I don't like and sometimes strongly disagree with things that others say, they do have the right to say what they want to say.  I can push back any way I know how and I commend you for doing this.  At the end of the day, people don't always agree with each other, sometimes our hearts are wicked and we do and say things that demonstrate our wickedness. 

If you have the power to keep me from saying things that you REALLY DON'T LIKE then one day maybe there will be someone who exercises the same power over you in a similar way.  My mama always said "What's fair for the goose is fair for the gander"...

By the way, I haven't seen what the other guy wrote and I'm guessing that I would be against it based on the conversation - for what it's worth...   

Level 7

I hope you Google addresses this clunky system. if you yourself have influence, please use it to make sure that what he is saying here reaches the ears of those who can do something about it.

Level 8

When I click on the link to list the moderators  I get:

You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

Please help me with the same problem that you have with Permissions. 

This is a very good program that lets us connect to solve problems. I am glad to see people working on problems that others have!

Please try not to forget my plea for your help if you get answers. Thanks in advance for that awesome Connect spirit.

Good luck!

ChristineBrandon

I hope that you share your solution. We also share your concerns!

I get to be a better guide with the help received from Connect friends.

ChristineBrandon

Yes!

I noticed that my Local Tim Hortons was suddenly getting a lot of bad reviews so I read them and what I discovered was that the reviews were for another Tim Hortons at a very difficult high-volume Tims off one of the busiest highways in the country!

It was 400 miles away from "my" Tims in Espanola, which is an excellent Tims and we are very lucky to have them in this small Canadian town of under 5000 people! 

ChristineBrandon

How long before I have " Permission to proceed?

ChristineBrandon

Did you manage to get help with this not having permission to proceed?

ChristineBrandon
Level 6
Level 6

No I don't know what that means? I am so google illiterate you have no idea. But basically I own an auto transport company and I have a few locations in las vegas. I obviously watch my competitors and I know that basically 15 of the companies that list themselves in Las Vegas as being in Las Vegas really are not. They have residential addresses placed on the maps and I know they are not in that city. So when I tried to update and correct it on google, they lowered my star ranking status that i had up to like 3.5 down to a 2.8 and actually suspended my account for doing so. I don't find this fair at all. How can I get my account out of suspension?

Me too.

I am still getting that big colourful sign that says I am lacking the necessary permissions.

I dont know what to do

ChristineBrandon
Level 9

Hi guys,

I would like to report a Local Guide. I saw some photos with are not concern with those area. Those photo are like selfie, groupfie. Please check this guy. Link here [Redacted]

I don't know why he uploading his photo on Google maps like in Instagram or Facebook.

Thanks

With sincerely,

Tun Tun

Hey @MgTT,

Thanks for reaching out.

I will reach out to you in a private message with more information.

By the way I have removed the link from your profile due to privacy concerns.

Level 6

Hello,

Can you please send me the instructions?

Thanks
Karol

Level 1

Hello!

I would like to report a local guide who is pretending to be using our business name and submitting spam reviews.

Please advise on how I should proceed. Thanks!

Level 1

I am Property Manager of a company that a spam reviewer reviewed, with about 50 other businesses in the same hour. <NAME REMOVED>, Local Guide - Level 2 has never been to my facility and is only trying to level up. I read reviews for accurate information and Google should know when someone reviews mass businesses in the same hour, it is indeed SPAM. If this person had been to my facility, he would know that we thrive for customer experience at a new, modern facility featuring all the amenities that you would not get from a basic storage facility down the street. Is there anything we can do to assure the information is accurate for reviews and someone is not bringing down the credibility of a business based solely on trying to level up.

Level 1

I am Property Manager of a company that a spam reviewer reviewed, with about 50 other businesses in the same hour. <NAME REMOVED>, Local Guide - Level 2 has never been to my facility and is only trying to level up. I read reviews for accurate information and Google should know when someone reviews mass businesses in the same hour, it is indeed SPAM. If this person had been to my facility, he would know that we thrive for customer experience at a new, modern facility featuring all the amenities that you would not get from a basic storage facility down the street. Is there anything we can do to assure the information is accurate for reviews and someone is not bringing down the credibility of a business based solely on trying to level up.  

Connect Moderator

Hello @Quakermeup, this should be brought to the attention of a moderator, such as @FelipePK, who will then get in touch with you.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply

Hi @Quakermeup,

Thanks for reaching out. You can actually flag reviews that violate our rules directly on Google Maps. Please follow the instructions provided in the Flag inappropriate reviews article. As you believe they are spamming other locations too, I will send you a private message with instructions how you can report the Local Guide in question.

I also want to let you know that we care deeply about everyone's privacy. Thus, sharing personal information such as names, phone numbers and emails is not allowed here. That's why I edited your post. 

Hi @Quakermeup,

As I already informed you, sharing personal information publicly is not allowed here and that's why I edited your posts. Just so you know, you don't need to create multiple posts when you're trying to reach out. It's enough to create a single post and tag one of us: the Google Moderators.

I will move this post to the relevant thread.

This has been happening to me regularly and I cannot get anyone to help me to understand how these things work. If it is me and I've done something wrong, then I want to know what I am doing incorrectly. If it is just timing and I have to wait for level 6 before you trust me?

I am a retired Highschool teacher of over 25 years! I have no criminal record. All I want to do is encourage other Local Guides! And MAP of course.

ChristineBrandon
Level 10

There is a fake local guide who has allready created a  fake village.

What have I done honestly, he is three times upper with his dishonesty. Please moderator look at his profile. 

Level 10

Hi @koushik_sarkar please, remove personal details and tag a moderator that will reach you privately for further investigation.

To report a spammer Local Guide, please, don't share here public info, but tag a Google Moderator (look here: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Help-Desk/Meet-the-Google-Moderators/m-p/88603) to request support. They will contact you through private message.

For further informations, read here: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Help-Desk/How-Do-I-Report-Content-on-Google-Maps/m-p/202916#M9...

Thanks

Level 9

Hi @koushik_sarkar,

Please remove the link as suggested by @LucioV. I will assist and tag @NadyaPN who may follow up with you.

I will also merge this post with the existing thread regarding this. Thanks.

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 10

Will I remove my post @Shirley mam ?

Hi @koushik_sarkar,

Thanks for reaching out. I will send you a private message with instructions how you can report this Local Guide.

@LucioV@Shirley, thanks for your help!

Hi, this local guide has never been in our office, considering the quantity and frecuency of his reviews, it seems like a "machine", could it be possible? Please, we would like his review to be removed from our business info. Here is the link to his profile:

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/113067683515053224604/reviews/@37.3815453,-5.9695155,13z/data=!3...

Level 6

Thanks for this useful information.

Level 2

We have a review that is obviously fake. It has to do with a comment about fitness and drinking, while our company sells fitness equipment. After further investigation, this Local Guide has posted other reviews that may have some key words that seem to make reviews seem legitimate, but actually reading what is posted you can tell they are not giving genuine/real reviews. I don't know if they are trying to hurt businesses or gain points for reviews. Please advise how to report this person. @MashaPS

Hi @primofitness,

Thanks for reaching out.

First I would like to remind you that as per the Local Guides Program Terms and Conditions you can not participate as business.

Besides that, in the Write reviews and add ratings of places article from the Google Maps Help Center you can find the steps how to report a inappropriate review on Google Maps.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 1

A local guide published several false photos of my business which give a bad impression to my potential guests (hotel). I have already reported each photo on Google Maps, but I want to report the local guide that did that. How can I proceed? Thanks.

Level 9

Hi @Dulcamara!

I feel sorry for your post . But have faith in LG reviews . I hope some cross-check would bring everything okay if yours business does a praiseries worthy job.

Hope for the best.

Thanks  for reaching out to me.

ChristineBrandon