Rodrigo_P's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps

Googler

UPDATE: As of June 11, 2020, we now have a new process in place for reporting abusive activity on Google Maps. You can report entire profiles on Google Maps from your mobile device. Read this post to learn more.

Have you ever come across a place on Google Maps that doesn’t really exist? How about a place with incorrect details that look suspicious? These edits violate the Google My Business guidelines and Local Guides guidelines, and they’re considered fraud.

People post fraud on Google Maps for the sake of profit-generating scams, which hurt legitimate businesses and make Maps less useful for everyone. You can help fight spam by reporting violations.

Maps listings with keywords in their address fieldsMaps listings with keywords in their address fields

.:: How do I identify fraud on Google Maps? Look for the following.

• Businesses that list a P.O. Box, post office or virtual office as an address. A business needs to have a real-world address to be listed on Google Maps. Virtual offices and shared workspaces are acceptable if they’re staffed during typical business hours, but be aware that using these types of places as addresses is a popular fraud technique. P.O. Boxes are OK in countries where they are essential, such as Kenya and the U.A.E.
  • Online-only businesses. Online businesses that don’t meet customers face-to-face are not eligible to be on Maps.
  • Businesses that don’t exist. If a business is on Maps but is not real, it should be reported.
  • Businesses that use employees’ addresses. The scam here is to make it appear that the business has locations in places where it doesn’t actually operate. If you see a business that seems to be in a purely residential area, this might be the reason.
  • Keyword “stuffing.” If you see search terms “stuffed” into place names or address fields, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Fake websites or phone numbers. For example, a fraudulent hotel listing might include a hotel booking site instead of a site for an individual business. If a business’s site seems broken or distributes malware, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Business impersonators: Some people create fake listings for real businesses, such as national chains. If you think a listing might be fraudulent, check the brand’s official site to see its legitimate locations.
  • Reviews that point out abuse. Sometimes, people will notice a fraudulent listing and note it in a review.
  • Profanity. Sometimes, people will deface legitimate listings with edits that include foul language.
  • Illegal businesses: If a business is illegal where it operates, it can’t be on Google Maps.

.::How do I report fraud on Google Maps?

1. Find the business on Google Maps
  2. Scroll down and select Suggest an edit
  3. Tap Place is permanently closed or has never existed
  4. Select Spam, fake or offensive as the reason
  5. Tap Submit

Report the listing as spam flowReport the listing as spam flow

.::Reporting a Local Guide

If you've found a Local Guide contributing content or behaving in a way that seems to violate our policies or Local Guides program rules, you now have the ability to report these profiles directly in the Google Maps app. In order to do so, click on the user name in the list of Reviews/Photos they contributed or the Question/Answer they posted to get to their profile page. Once on their profile page, click on the three dot icon. Choose ‘Report’ from the menu on iOS or ‘Report profile’ on Android. For additional information, read this post.

.::Reporting spammed, fake, or duplicate prominent locations to Google Moderators

There are certain prominent places which Local Guides can’t edit in Google Maps, such as cities, towns, rivers, natural formations, and more. If you come across a spammed, fake or duplicate location for which you cannot submit an edit or your edit is automatically rejected, let us know in a comment below. Make sure to tag a Google Moderator and provide the following details: 

• Google Maps URL of the location (Eg: https://goo.gl/maps/qAZfCWDfZzoqchHL9);
  • What’s wrong with the place? Is it spammed, fake, or duplicate?
  • Which is the wrong information? Is it the name, category, or contact information?
  • What should the correct information be? Tell us the original name of the place in English and in the local language (if applicable), the right category (Zoo, Museum, etc.), and the correct contact information (official website, address, phone number, etc.).
2,851 Comments
Level 10

@Rodrigo_P , Thanks for the great post with tons of excellent info!

I noticed you said, "Online-only businesses. Online businesses that don’t meet customers face-to-face are not eligible to be on Maps."

However, in Google's "My Business" section for businesses, then businesses can pick that they serve an area, and basically pick to be displayed on Google Maps as an online only business. Most of these that I've found are mistakes by the business. But, there's no way for a Local Guide to report that the business made a mistake and chose to be listed as an online-only business. I don't know what to do with these listings, but I want to help.

Level 10

@Rodrigo_P

The trend of spam has been increasing showing the shameless attitude of some  LG's  irrespective of so many policies.. It seems they are not  bothered for policies  to be caught but  they just want to get  fame or helpful votes or top post at the expense of others. Often Goggle doesn't notice it and they are taking advantage.. But surprised to note some cases it is  just Tito copying the top reviews immediately  by many and publishing without having any shame. . I reported many and resolved. .But  i have one case  where 2 such copying and not yet resolved the problem even though i  report it. Here the original reviewer is exploited  since nobody knows what is original and what is copying due to its frequency copying. A strong filter and strict and effective  action is appreciated.

Appreciate sending a private message.

jojo
Level 7

Hi, I would like to report a local guide upload a large amount of irrelevant photos to places. @JeslynL Thanks. Please contact me.

Level 3

@MariaBi and @Mods

Guide posting many many of same pic all over.

Connect Moderator

Hi @davo,

thanks for reporting! Would you please give us a particular link to the photos or persons profile that you mention here? So we could follow your request.

Ludwig

Please mention me with @LudwigGermany on your reply, so I get notified

Connect Moderator   Maps   Instagram   Twitter 

Level 3

[REDACTED]

Level 9

@LudwigGermany wrote:

Hi @davo,

thanks for reporting! Would you please give us a particular link to the photos or persons profile that you mention here? So we could follow your request.

Ludwig

Hi davo, @LudwigGermany,

Hope all well. 

I'm so sorry but we're not allowed to share someone's profile link or private data here on connect. It's enough tagging a Google Moderator and wait for a private message. 

@davo please remove link mentioned by you in your last reply. 

@TraciC allow me to tag you here. 

Have a good day. 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Connect Moderator

@davo  apologize for the lack of clarity. It is better to report particular profile links as personal message. So please remove the link here. I copied it and will report it in the moderator's board.

Connect Moderator

Hi @Julien44, thanks for this link but this will not help here because you can't report loads of photos this way. Like at the end of your linked post @davo did it the right way by reporting the person here.

Level 10

@Atsukot

The trend of spam has been increasing showing the shameless attitude of some  LG's  irrespective of so many policies.. It seems they are not  bothered for policies  to be caught but  they just want to get  fame or helpful votes or top post at the expense of others. Often Goggle doesn't notice it and they are taking advantage.. But surprised to note some cases it is  just Tito copying the top reviews immediately  by many and publishing without having any shame. . I reported many and resolved. .But  i have one case  where 2 such copying and not yet resolved the problem even though i  report it. Here the original reviewer is exploited  since nobody knows what is original and what is copying due to its frequency copying. A strong filter and strict and effective  action is appreciated.

Appreciate sending a private message.

jojo
jojo
Level 10

@Rodrigo_P

A month ago Vardex and SA.RU chain stores was corrected by team.

Today I found out that all these stores returned all their spam to the Maps. It's just a shame... Do you know what to do with spammers that have already been caught? I can tell you - they usually get banned. But apparently, you are very sorry for them...

@JeslynL, @MariaBi, @Atsukot, or whom it may concern:

I am reaching out now as a Google Local Guide to report what I believe is a Local Guides Rule violation. The rules I believe this individual is in violation of is the following:

• Submit fake, falsified, misleading, or inappropriate reviews, edits or removals. 

In addition, I reviewed the user's review history and found several Google My Business review policy violations as well including the following:

• Keep it clean: Don’t use obscene, profane, or offensive language. We’ll also remove reviews that represent personal attacks on others.
  • Off-topic reviews: Don’t post reviews based on someone else’s experience, or that are not about the specific place you’re reviewing. Reviews aren’t meant to be a forum for general political or social commentary or personal rants. Wrong location or the place is closed? Use the Report a problem link to report that information instead of writing a review.

That said, I'm aware of the flagging policy, but feel that this is a blatant misuse of Google's review platform and this particular user has more than a single review that I'd like to flag.

Please contact me directly for specific information.

Level 10

@Rodrigo_P @Atsukot

Noticed the spammer for a permanently closed business in our locality by a famous firm still showing as existing because as per my search understood that their still website showing existing  may be just for publicity purpose. 

Customers  were even complaining being cheated since  they know only by reaching the location about its permanently closed nature as seen from their note:.

Already showing as existing along with another address

Here comes our  helplessness .against such spammers.

Appreciate private message.

jojo
Level 10

Hi @Christopher_M Good to see you didn't share any personal information as well. You didn't tag the Google Moderators properly so they might not see a notification from you. Please when tagging make sure the @ is together with the name in blue colour this way @MariaBi

Former Google Contributor

Hi @davo

I'll reach you out shortly with further instructions via private message. Thanks.

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them

Hi @Christopher_M

Thanks for reaching out on this. I'll contact you briefly via PM with further instructions. And many thanks to @HelloSamsonR for tagging me. 

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Level 1

text and photos

Hello @rk007

If you would like to report a Local Guide or content on Google Maps, please read the post shared here.  I will send you a private message now.

I am not available to respond on the weekend

Hi @HelloSamsonR, thank you for looking out and also for tagging the moderator. Kudos to you!

Hey @Firelemon, my apologies for getting to this late. I've shot over a private message with details on how to share information with the team. Check your inbox! 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 7

Not a very good response. 

Level 5

A Local Guide has submitting and attributed tens of thousands of irrelevant photos, across a significant number of business profiles on Google Maps in the GTA.  The first 100's to 1,000's of photos in many business profiles are just from this one Local Guide, and a significant portion are of different businesses and completely distort what the actual business offers and appears like. If a moderator could assist with this issue, it would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Edit: Adding mod tags (correctly I hope)

@JeslynL @YanniY @TraciC

Level 8

@DrConn Disappointed about this behavior . It must not encouraged

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is true @DrConn, there are a lot of irrelevant photos on Google maps, something need to be done!

Level 5

Please message me so I may report a local guide as well.  This guy leaves racist and sexist reviews for almost every place he visits.  

Hey @DrConn,

Thank you for reaching out! I will send you a private message with instructions how to report this Local Guide.

See you around!

- Nadya

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

@Tiitsmcghee Check your inbox! You should see a message from me. Thanks for reaching out! 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 1

I am looking for a Google moderator or administrator to help me here. I would like some help on how to address Local Guide Policy Violations of another that is not concerning one post, but rather activities encompassing the entire Local Guide account. Flagging any particular post would not address this issue here.

Happy to discuss the circumstances and evidence (all of which is publicly visible from the Local Guide's account), but I cannot disclose on this general post.

Appreciate any help!

Thank you!

@TraciC

@GusMoreira

Connect Moderator

Hi @sax57

Thanks for reaching us.

Please read this post to know how to report a Local Guide: /How-Do-I-Report-Content-on-Google-Maps/

As this seems to be one of your first post in here, I take the opportunity to give you some information to know now to interact with the community:

• Need Help?: The help area give you a lot of solutions if you need to "know how to ...."
    • Explore the Forum menu, to see what the various sections are about. You will find many interesting parts regarding, for example, meet-up, or photographic technique.
    • Give to the post a descriptive title

As an extra tips, i would suggest you to Search the community before posting as the same subject can be already being discussed.

Welcome again, I hope to see you soon 🙂

Ermes

Level 1

Hello Ermest:

Thank you for contacting me. I am aware of the guidelines concerning reporting a Local Guide, and am electing the following method:

“Reporting a Local Guide

If you've found a Local Guide contributing content or behaving in a way that you think violates Google Maps' policies and/or Local Guides program rules, let us know here in Connect (but don't share that person's information publicly) by tagging a Google Moderator and we'll reach out to you via private message with instructions on how to share that information with the Local Guides team.”

As mentioned in my first post, flagging one review does not resolve the violation at issue with the Local Guide. Please let me know which moderator I should be contacting for this.

Thank you.

Connect Moderator
  1. Hi, I would like to report a spammer he is posting questions and reviews on google maps giving link to its Youtube Videos. Please help me report this Local Guide who have been continuously posting link and unhelpful reviews He is posting his name in review section.
Level 8

@neerajtheblogger

Horrible but please post it on feedback and future request catagory you will get results Very quickly

are you reported that reviews?

Hi, I would like to report a Local Guide who have been continuously posting links to his Youtube videos and giving wrong info in review section. He is writing his name and posting links to his Youtube Videos in Review Section and in Ask A Question Section. Please help me out report such people.

<SCREENSHOTS REMOVED>

Level 6

Spammers are all over 

Connect Moderator

Hi @neerajtheblogger

Thanks for reaching us and for your help in mantaining Maps a clean place.

For everyone's privacy, please remove the screenshot you provided, and read this post to know how to report a Local Guide: /How-Do-I-Report-Content-on-Google-Maps/

Thanks

@JeslynL

Connect Moderator

Hola @neerajtheblogger, gracias por la información, aquí puedes leer Como reportar el spam, de todas maneras es informado a otros Moderadores. @JeslynL, por favor podrá verificar este caso, gracias.

saludos Farid.

Level 7
With regards to a review I don't see any "report as inappropriate" kind of option. I've to also report a spam review.
Level 9

Some people adding there won picture on google maps. I think it should be closed.

Md Polash Hossien

||

Hey @neerajtheblogger,

Thanks for reaching out. I will send you a private message with instructions how to report this Local Guide so our team can look into this person's account and take any appropriate action.

@ErmesT@ayann, thanks for stepping in with your tips.

See you around!

- Nadya

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Hi @neerajtheblogger
For this problem you can find any answer here.
Best Regards

@sax57 Check your inbox! I've shared more info over private message.

Thanks @ErmesT

Level 10

"As mentioned in my first post, flagging one review does not resolve the violation at issue with the Local Guide. "

That's the fact, @sax57. With one review, You can't identify a spammer.

And Alphabet Inc. is unwilling to violate spam, I know, @ermest,. May be Google needs another 2,42 billion Euro fine by European Commission.

Same solutions like in the German Google Maps Forum:

1. Google automated spam detection is crap (remember that pissing android robot and that 'Google review policy is crap' in 2015 that finally killed the Map Maker  ?)

2. Reduce the upload of photos and reviews to a certain limit per day or week. It's the same solution that is in use against email spammers.

3. Don't allow ratings. Reviews will do, may be with a certain minimum of words. Amazon can do, so Google can do as well.

4. Don't brag about Google Image Recognition, it's crap too. If You can upload the same picture to 6 ot 10 different POIs, it IS crap.

@OkerJoker We welcome all feedback and are keen to hear them as always. As you've been a Local Guide for some time now, you must have seen how the program has evolved overtime with the feedback taken from Local Guides like yourself. We value yours and feel free to throw them out at Feedback and Feature Requests

I would like to report a photo spamming by a local guide named <NAME REMOVED>

12,891 points

<MAPS URL REMOVED>

He is continuously adding non relevant photos to our Google map listing  

@BruceDM, @LuisRG, @BellaWi, @GusMoreira, @YanniY, @MarinSt, @GeorgesHR, @KlaudiyaG @NadyaPN. @TraciC @JeslynL 

@BNHSProgrammes I removed the details of the user you are reporting from the post as we value everyone's privacy. As shared in How Do I Report Content on Google Maps?, you can use the 'flag as inappropriate' icon next to the photo or “Report a Problem” if you are using Google Maps on desktop. 

Separately, please tag only one moderator in your posts. The moderator will look into your request and get back to you as soon as they can (note: Google Moderators do not moderate the community after hours or over weekends and holidays). The Local Guides Team spends a considerable amount of time on Connect daily, reading and moderating discussion threads. There are Google Moderators in various timezones; if one Google Moderator doesn’t see your post, it’s likely that another will read it.

Finally, it is against the Local Guides program rules to participate in the program as a business. Please exit the program on this account or change your details to participate as an individual. 

Thank you for prompt revert @JeslynL

There has been around 130 irrelevent photos added and its still being added regularly, flagging each one of them individually as  'flag as inappropriate'   not a feasible option. that is the reason I have opened a conversation here.

Apologies for tagging so many moderators, I will keep this in mind.

I will exit the local guide since you mentioned its not for Business, however I wanted to address the issue of photo spamming, is there any other way I can do that?

Level 10

Instead of giving the users always the same useless link ('How Do I Report Content on Google Maps?') , make it possible to report a spammer by account.

@BNHSProgrammes — The user you reported is being looked into at the moment. Please note that we will take all required actions but we will not be able to share the results with you. 

@OkerJoker — In the post we have always shared, it does contain the steps a Local Guide should take if they want to report another Local Guide (aka reporting by account). Given, the suggestion you made would take curtail these back and forth - thanks for the feedback.