Rodrigo_P's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps

Googler

UPDATE: As of June 11, 2020, we now have a new process in place for reporting abusive activity on Google Maps. You can report entire profiles on Google Maps from your mobile device. Read this post to learn more.

Have you ever come across a place on Google Maps that doesn’t really exist? How about a place with incorrect details that look suspicious? These edits violate the Google My Business guidelines and Local Guides guidelines, and they’re considered fraud.

People post fraud on Google Maps for the sake of profit-generating scams, which hurt legitimate businesses and make Maps less useful for everyone. You can help fight spam by reporting violations.

Maps listings with keywords in their address fieldsMaps listings with keywords in their address fields

.:: How do I identify fraud on Google Maps? Look for the following.

• Businesses that list a P.O. Box, post office or virtual office as an address. A business needs to have a real-world address to be listed on Google Maps. Virtual offices and shared workspaces are acceptable if they’re staffed during typical business hours, but be aware that using these types of places as addresses is a popular fraud technique. P.O. Boxes are OK in countries where they are essential, such as Kenya and the U.A.E.
  • Online-only businesses. Online businesses that don’t meet customers face-to-face are not eligible to be on Maps.
  • Businesses that don’t exist. If a business is on Maps but is not real, it should be reported.
  • Businesses that use employees’ addresses. The scam here is to make it appear that the business has locations in places where it doesn’t actually operate. If you see a business that seems to be in a purely residential area, this might be the reason.
  • Keyword “stuffing.” If you see search terms “stuffed” into place names or address fields, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Fake websites or phone numbers. For example, a fraudulent hotel listing might include a hotel booking site instead of a site for an individual business. If a business’s site seems broken or distributes malware, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Business impersonators: Some people create fake listings for real businesses, such as national chains. If you think a listing might be fraudulent, check the brand’s official site to see its legitimate locations.
  • Reviews that point out abuse. Sometimes, people will notice a fraudulent listing and note it in a review.
  • Profanity. Sometimes, people will deface legitimate listings with edits that include foul language.
  • Illegal businesses: If a business is illegal where it operates, it can’t be on Google Maps.

.::How do I report fraud on Google Maps?

1. Find the business on Google Maps
  2. Scroll down and select Suggest an edit
  3. Tap Place is permanently closed or has never existed
  4. Select Spam, fake or offensive as the reason
  5. Tap Submit

Report the listing as spam flowReport the listing as spam flow

.::Reporting a Local Guide

If you've found a Local Guide contributing content or behaving in a way that seems to violate our policies or Local Guides program rules, you now have the ability to report these profiles directly in the Google Maps app. In order to do so, click on the user name in the list of Reviews/Photos they contributed or the Question/Answer they posted to get to their profile page. Once on their profile page, click on the three dot icon. Choose ‘Report’ from the menu on iOS or ‘Report profile’ on Android. For additional information, read this post.

.::Reporting spammed, fake, or duplicate prominent locations to Google Moderators

There are certain prominent places which Local Guides can’t edit in Google Maps, such as cities, towns, rivers, natural formations, and more. If you come across a spammed, fake or duplicate location for which you cannot submit an edit or your edit is automatically rejected, let us know in a comment below. Make sure to tag a Google Moderator and provide the following details: 

• Google Maps URL of the location (Eg: https://goo.gl/maps/qAZfCWDfZzoqchHL9);
  • What’s wrong with the place? Is it spammed, fake, or duplicate?
  • Which is the wrong information? Is it the name, category, or contact information?
  • What should the correct information be? Tell us the original name of the place in English and in the local language (if applicable), the right category (Zoo, Museum, etc.), and the correct contact information (official website, address, phone number, etc.).
2,851 Comments

Ok thanks i will wait to be contacted by them.

thanks for fast reply.

AVT

Level 7

Hello / Welcome / Kia Ora @Asiavantransfer

If you need assistance with reporting a Local guide, Please refer to one or two of your other posts about it.

Furthermore, please post more information about why you need to report this person.

If you need more help finding out how to use the forum, Please take time to read over the following in Corrie post here ( Tips: Using Local Guides Connect ) or take a look below , FYI = Same info.

Here are a few tips for using the community:

• Search the community before posting a question. Someone else has most likely asked the same issue or shared the same suggestion. It makes it easier on everyone if we unify conversations and avoid duplicates. 
  • Use a descriptive title for your post. Make it easy for everyone to see what it is you want to talk about. Make sure your post is in the right section of the community as well. 
  • The "Location" field on your post should only be used when talking about a specific place. If you want travel advice for Tokyo, tag Tokyo. If you are recommending a museum in London, tag the museum. 
  • Be kind, patient, and understanding. Help us make Local Guides Connect a friendly and helpful place to be for all. 
  • Respect the moderators and each other. Local Guides is a global community comprised of many different languages, timezones, ages, and levels of expertise. Everyone is welcome. Moderators may remove or move posts, warn or ban community members, or even make mistakes. Assume everyone has good intentions and follow Local Guides Program Rules.  
  • You are welcome to post in any language on Connect. We do have some "in-language" boards and add additional languages as we can. The Google Translate widget is on every page so that you can translate content into your language. 
  • Protect the privacy of yourself and others. Don't post personal information (yours or other's) publicly. There is a private messaging system in place which you can disable if you don't want others to be able to contact you. 
  • Use good judgment. You can find a lot of wonderful advice and tips in this community, but some of it may be wrong or incorrect. When in doubt, check an official Google authoritative source like a product's Help Center. 
  • Don't use this community as a platform to sell your products, services, or rental properties on the moon. 
  • Have fun! Give out kudos for great content, mark replies as "Best Solutions" if your question was answered. It helps others find great content and highlights the most helpful Local Guides 🙂

Kind Regards

Can i report and discuss my issue with you, via email?

thanks

Level 7

@JeslynL Above reported photo spammer is still spamming on multiple places. I cannot visit and report individual photos.

Hi @Asiavantransfer Welcome to Local Guide connect Community!

Please read this post to know how to report a Local Guide: /How-Do-I-Report-Content-on-Google-Maps/

Or

You can also contact Meet the Connect Moderators

Hope this helps you 🙂 

Happy Guiding,
Jagadeesh Reddy.
Connect Moderator

Hi @Asiavantransfer,

as you may see, all your post about the same subject have been merged. You don't need to replicate the same post several time.

A Googler moderator has already been tagged, so they will contact you early next week.

Please do not share private data in publicly

Thanks for your attention

Ermes

I ever meet the spam information in the alot location arround ya,   may  be they aren't known well with Google map features  and take the locations with out thinking the real zona.  

But I try to make the true location and renamed it, with carefully and make some reviews that it's the wrong places or the wrong location named. 

And Google Maps give the allert in email, that this editing in reviews . We waiting for along times for get  approval like our editing. What the indications  for your reviews in order to get approval soon as soon.  Because this false location in spamming can make trouble seriously for many people that looking for this places.  

Many reasons that some body make spamming efforts,  usually we get in business competition Zona,  the competitors was editing wrong business location for us,  it's very seriously problems. 

Can the Google Maps Team make easier for editing this wrong places and faster for reviews for our reports. When the trusted levels in Local Guide makes changed this location,  or many system others.  Thanks for the attention. 

Connect Moderator

Hello Google moderator @LuisRG @GusMoreira @Flash @MariaBi

I've found a local guide for spamming photos and videos in many locations. Please contact me.

Regards,

Naresh.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 8

I think in a way that's part of the problem, in that "spam" can come in so many guises that even if your report makes it past the automated rejection, it still requires a moderator to look at your report and work out why you submitted it in the first place. In some cases that'll be patently obvious, in others not so much. For example, an online only business might have a perfectly legitimate looking listing on maps but it'd need either local knowledge or a website that makes it obvious that it's online only for the report to be accepted.

Would it not be sensible for spam reports to come with the option to add a comment before submitting? I'm sure it'd make moderators' lives easier if a quick comment could point them in the right direction. I'd happily attach a 360 image so that they can see that no such business exists in that location, nor is ever likely to. 

As for the auto reject algorithms - I've given up trying to figure them out. I recently submitted 3 reports for the one location, all for very very similar and very obviously online only businesses owned by the same person; one report was auto rejected, another actually made it through and got removed and the third still awaits review. Consistent it's not.

Level 8

@GenerolHavoc 

Hi, You were the first one who really gives full answer and spent time to answer. 

ThayTh how a real Local Guide acts. Congratulations!

-TomiFinland

Hello, 

I'd like to report a local guide who is leaving one star reviews on local businesses without visiting them. One of them was for a wine store and the comment was that he didn't like wine. Reviewing his history, this is a regular behavior and I suspect he is only doing it for the points. His latest review is for my retail store which he has never visited. @Atsukot

Thank you. 

Ok thanks for your reply , i am waiting some moderator contact me via email,  because we are having serious issues with a Local guide and we want them to be solve and finish soon as possible.

Best Regards, 

Level 1
Level 1

So I'm just getting started with this guide business, and I've already found one local guide posting many fake/non-reviews (a la: "life is short!" and "NICE") as well as multiple reposts of the same meaningless photographs (a flower,  some green abstract mess). He has 800+ and it's 5 stars for everybody, so clearly he's just farming points. 

Can a moderator please message me so I can give you the specifics? I know I'm new here, but the total lack of integrity checks in the Google review system is giving me great pause as to whether or not to bother with guiding at all... but might as well help clear out a little trash before I go, anyway! 

Former Google Contributor

@Asiavantransfer, I have reached out to you privately. 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 10

Hi @O_o  welcome to Connect! To report a spammer Local Guide, please, don't share here public info, but tag a Google Moderator (look here: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Help-Desk/Meet-the-Google-Moderators/m-p/88603) to request support. They will contact you through private message.

For further informations, read here: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Help-Desk/How-Do-I-Report-Content-on-Google-Maps/m-p/202916#M9...

Thanks

@RahulS wrote:

@JeslynL Above reported photo spammer is still spamming on multiple places. I cannot visit and report individual photos.

@Rahuljs, please note that reviewing of reported accounts take time. 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the help! I'm such a noob.

@Atsukot - can you help me out with this report? 

Hello i have never received an email from you to my gmail account, please check it, and send it again , thanks.

Level 9

I've found several specific local guides contain behavior that violates the Google Maps or Local Guides rules,

They have a lot reviews and Maps' photo,

But their reviews and Maps' photo 99% are IDENTICAL.

I think should be marked and deleted as spam.

@JeslynL  @YanniY

[REDACTED LINK AND IMAGES]

如果回覆的速度慢了,請體諒我的菜英語。
Level 9

@Hualuo

Good evening. 

Thank you for sharing details here but sharing link to someone profile is against connect rules. Easily edit your post, remove link & photos from your last reply. 

I think Atsukot is active in this thread so there is no need to tag a moderator. 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 7

@Robillard2010 & @Hualuo

Unfortunately, it's the weekend so most Google Moderators are not in the forum ATM

They should be back in the next 24-48 hours, so be patient and they will PM you soon.

Furthermore @Hualuo

as @deepakjhic said, you can't go posting someone profile here in the forum 

Thank you so much! @Robillard2010 I have sent you a private message with details about sharing such information with the team. Please check your inbox. 

Thank you @Hualuo for reaching out to us here on Connect. I have sent you a private message with details about sharing such information with the team. Please check your inbox.

If you've found a Local Guide contributing content or behaving in a way that you think violates Google Maps' policies and/or Local Guides program rules, let us know here in Connect by tagging a Google Moderator; however, please don't share that person's information publicly. 

Hi @NareshDarji

I'll contact you shortly via Private message with further instructions. Many thanks!

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them

Thank you! @LucioV

Hi @O_o, welcome to Local Guides and our Connect community forum! Thank you for reaching out to us here in Connect. I have reached out to you via private message with more details about sharing such information with the team. Please check your inbox. 

Level 7

It seems my message when unnoticed.

Please DM me if that is the protocol. I have discovered a Local Guide that is responsible for at least 300 spam photos and an ancillary mass of spam reviews.

I'll send you further instructions @LamatKan shortly. To flag this kind of content in the forum, next time please tag one of the Google Moderators in your post. We will reach out as soon as possible.

Many thanks.

Level 7

Good suggestion. Will do.

Level 9

@deepakjhic

About "I have an opportunity to change the world and I'm not going to miss it.

I read  this provision before,but I am lost.

You know my English is poor.😛

I apologize for my mistake,

Thanks so much for your advice😂

@MariaBi. @GenerolHavoc
Thank you for  your assistance.😅

如果回覆的速度慢了,請體諒我的菜英語。
Level 9

@Hualuo wrote:

@deepakjhic

About "I have an opportunity to change the world and I'm not going to miss it.

I read  this provision before,but I am lost.

You know my English is poor.😛

I apologize for my mistake,

Thanks so much for your advice😀😀😁😊😂😁😀

😇🤔🤗😂😁😀😊

Hi @Hualuo,

Thank you for writing me back. Here on connect we all local guides are family so no need to be sorry. 

I also apologize for my English 😀😁😂😇.

See you soon. 

Level 9

@deepakjhic

deepakjhic 已寫:

@花落

Good evening. 

Thank you for sharing details here but sharing link to someone profile is against connect rules. Easily edit your post, remove link & photos from your last reply. 

I think Atsukot is active in this thread so there is no need to tag a moderator. 

You are right👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
This is my first time giving a personal opinion on Local Guides Connect.

I do a lot of homework before submitting the report

Search, search again,again...

Then I found Languages (apart from English) in Google Moderator,so...

如果回覆的速度慢了,請體諒我的菜英語。
Level 9

Hi @Hualuo,

I'm sorry my words. All who are active here know that it's good to post in an old thread rather than starting a new one. 

Appreciate your time and effort towards LG program. 

Level 9

Atsukot 已寫:

Thank you @花落 for reaching out to us here on Connect. I have sent you a private message with details about sharing such information with the team. Please check your inbox.

If you've found a Local Guide contributing content or behaving in a way that you think violates Google Maps' policies and/or Local Guides program rules, let us know here in Connect by tagging a Google Moderator; however, please don't share that person's information publicly. 

真摯地感謝美美的 @Atsukot

不但親切地回覆我的留言,

還不厭其煩地在私人訊息中逐一指導我諸多錯誤。

實在太愛妳了!💕💕💕

如果回覆的速度慢了,請體諒我的菜英語。
Level 9

@deepakjhic

sorry what?

Relax

we're not poker face😎 😎 😎

Is it suitable to chat here? BTW

I do love to chat with you, but I am not so fluent in English.
I will do my best. (Hope you would not mind.)

如果回覆的速度慢了,請體諒我的菜英語。
Level 9

@Hualuo wrote:

@deepakjhic

sorry what?

Relax

we're not poker face😎 😎 😎

Is it suitable to chat here? BTW

I do love to chat with you, but I am not so fluent in English.
I will do my best. (Hope you would not mind.)

Hi @Hualuo

No it is not right place to chat, other people might get disturb. I'm also not fluent in English but I love this program and my local guide world. 

You know your English is great. 

Yea I also love all local guides. 

Hi @Hualuo

Allow me to help you with a couple of tips for getting started in Connect:

Search the community before posting as others may have asked your question (and received an answer) already. 
- Use a descriptive title for your post to make it easier for people to know whether they should open it. 
- Share a story with your photo(s) - tell your fellow Local Guides something about the location's history, why you like it,  a few details on what is in the pictures, etc. 
- Use the Location field to geotag your post to a specific place, but make sure its important to the content of the post.  
- Don't share personal information on the forums, check out the private messaging option instead. 

- There is also a photo limit of 1,000 photos on Connect. If you've reach this limit, you'll have to delete older images before uploading new images. Learn more here.

Why don't you explore the boards of the site and check out the conversations happening among our Local Guides? For example, this section of the site has some good tips on how to use the community and interact with your fellow Local Guides. 

Many thanks and have fun with Local Guides!

Connect Moderator

I want report a spammer where he wanted to harassment some people with his Maps Contributions. It seems like he use hate speeches and other Google violation with her photos and Captions. I got this report from Maps Help forum [how to delete pictures from google engine]. Can I report to a Foreign spammer ? @GusMoreira @JeslynL 

Level 10

@ShafiulB you can report any spammer . it doesn't matter where he/she live if  violation rules 

Mahabub Hasan

It's gonna be same @ShafiulB foreigner or local policy is Same 😎 make sure you have valid proof my friend :).

Happy Guiding,
Jagadeesh Reddy.
Connect Moderator

@Jagadeesh_Reddy @MahabubMunna Thanks for your all suggestions but i need a Moderator support further.

Happy Guiding !!!

You are welcome I'm sure they'll contact you ASAP when they see this discussion@ShafiulB.

Happy Guiding,
Jagadeesh Reddy.
Connect Moderator

@Jagadeesh_Reddy wrote:

You are welcome I'm sure they'll contact you ASAP when they see this discussion@ShafiulB.

Hope that and thanks again @Jagadeesh_Reddy

Happy Guiding !!

Hello @Dabigdoc,

With general questions like these, you can always tag a Google or Connect Moderator for assistance. I shared the links to the list with all of our usernames here.

I can send you a private message on how to report a Local Guide.  We removed the URLs from your post as we respect everyone's privacy here on Connect.

Please note however that per Google Maps policy, it is not within Google's scope to verify the truthfulness and claims of any particular review or that of the owner of a business. We will always look to remove anything off-topic, abusive or spammy but situations that occasionally devolve into he-said/she-said situations are not enough enough information to go off of.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 7

Actually in Poland users from wykop.pl are spaming and posting false information and fake and vulgar photos, also many local guides are in too.

How to report them?

For example, that profile: <REDACTED> has posted a lot inappropriate photos, only for spam a place (Willa Karpatia and Pensjonat Topór, same place)...

Connect Moderator

Hi @MeeHav! You should tag a Google Moderator in this post and future posts of this nature when dealing with a particular spammy LG. You can also check out this thread about reporting different types of spam and abuse as well

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/How-to-identify-and-report-spam-on-Google-M...

They will surely take action against those who violate the policies or Local Guides program rules.

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Connect Moderator

Hi @MeeHav

Thank you for reaching us. 

Follow the indications of @SP31

for reporting spam or spammer in Google Maps. Please also, for everyone's privacy,   edit your post to remove personal information. @JeslynL

Ermes 

Hi @MeeHav,

Thank you for reaching out!

I will send you a private message with instructions on how to report this specific user so our team can look into this person's account and take any appropriate action, though we won't be able to share the final decision as we respect everyone's privacy. I've redacted your message for the same reason, we ask that you do not share any information publicly about the person you think may be violating our policies.

Thanks again!

See you around.

- Nadya

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hi @ShafiulB

Thanks for reaching out and not sharing any information publicly on Connect. Is he/she a Local Guides? If so, I will reach you via private message shortly. 

Allow me to remind you how you can report content to us:

• If you find a review or photo that you think violates our policies, you can use the 'flag/report as inappropriate' icon next to the contribution. A team of specialists will then check if it violates any of our policies (https://goo.gl/dsVNTC & https://goo.gl/G87xzJ) and will take appropriate action. 
  • If you've found a Local Guide contributing content or behaving in a way that you think violates Google Maps' policies and/or Local Guides program rules, let us know here in Connect (but don't share that person's information publicly) by tagging a Google Moderator and we'll reach out to you via private message with instructions on how to share that information with the Local Guides team.

The content review sometimes takes time as the team is careful to only remove content that violates policy. Please note that we'll never be able to share the specialists' decision as we respect everyone's privacy.

Learn more about this also hereHow Do I Report Content on Google Maps

Many thanks for your help.

Level 7

OK, thanks. A PM with information are send.

Level 9

Thanks for this.

I have also noticed some businesses try to create their locations in a different country so that they can get traffic.

E.g. this one:-

https://goo.gl/maps/tAVy4AkeYEE2

I know that this does not exist here.

I have reported as spam.