Rodrigo_P's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps

Googler

UPDATE: As of June 11, 2020, we now have a new process in place for reporting abusive activity on Google Maps. You can report entire profiles on Google Maps from your mobile device. Read this post to learn more.

Have you ever come across a place on Google Maps that doesn’t really exist? How about a place with incorrect details that look suspicious? These edits violate the Google My Business guidelines and Local Guides guidelines, and they’re considered fraud.

People post fraud on Google Maps for the sake of profit-generating scams, which hurt legitimate businesses and make Maps less useful for everyone. You can help fight spam by reporting violations.

Maps listings with keywords in their address fieldsMaps listings with keywords in their address fields

.:: How do I identify fraud on Google Maps? Look for the following.

• Businesses that list a P.O. Box, post office or virtual office as an address. A business needs to have a real-world address to be listed on Google Maps. Virtual offices and shared workspaces are acceptable if they’re staffed during typical business hours, but be aware that using these types of places as addresses is a popular fraud technique. P.O. Boxes are OK in countries where they are essential, such as Kenya and the U.A.E.
  • Online-only businesses. Online businesses that don’t meet customers face-to-face are not eligible to be on Maps.
  • Businesses that don’t exist. If a business is on Maps but is not real, it should be reported.
  • Businesses that use employees’ addresses. The scam here is to make it appear that the business has locations in places where it doesn’t actually operate. If you see a business that seems to be in a purely residential area, this might be the reason.
  • Keyword “stuffing.” If you see search terms “stuffed” into place names or address fields, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Fake websites or phone numbers. For example, a fraudulent hotel listing might include a hotel booking site instead of a site for an individual business. If a business’s site seems broken or distributes malware, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Business impersonators: Some people create fake listings for real businesses, such as national chains. If you think a listing might be fraudulent, check the brand’s official site to see its legitimate locations.
  • Reviews that point out abuse. Sometimes, people will notice a fraudulent listing and note it in a review.
  • Profanity. Sometimes, people will deface legitimate listings with edits that include foul language.
  • Illegal businesses: If a business is illegal where it operates, it can’t be on Google Maps.

.::How do I report fraud on Google Maps?

1. Find the business on Google Maps
  2. Scroll down and select Suggest an edit
  3. Tap Place is permanently closed or has never existed
  4. Select Spam, fake or offensive as the reason
  5. Tap Submit

Report the listing as spam flowReport the listing as spam flow

.::Reporting a Local Guide

If you've found a Local Guide contributing content or behaving in a way that seems to violate our policies or Local Guides program rules, you now have the ability to report these profiles directly in the Google Maps app. In order to do so, click on the user name in the list of Reviews/Photos they contributed or the Question/Answer they posted to get to their profile page. Once on their profile page, click on the three dot icon. Choose ‘Report’ from the menu on iOS or ‘Report profile’ on Android. For additional information, read this post.

.::Reporting spammed, fake, or duplicate prominent locations to Google Moderators

There are certain prominent places which Local Guides can’t edit in Google Maps, such as cities, towns, rivers, natural formations, and more. If you come across a spammed, fake or duplicate location for which you cannot submit an edit or your edit is automatically rejected, let us know in a comment below. Make sure to tag a Google Moderator and provide the following details: 

• Google Maps URL of the location (Eg: https://goo.gl/maps/qAZfCWDfZzoqchHL9);
  • What’s wrong with the place? Is it spammed, fake, or duplicate?
  • Which is the wrong information? Is it the name, category, or contact information?
  • What should the correct information be? Tell us the original name of the place in English and in the local language (if applicable), the right category (Zoo, Museum, etc.), and the correct contact information (official website, address, phone number, etc.).
2,851 Comments
Level 5

Thank you!

I've followed the instructions in the PM, looking forward to seeing the user/photos removed. 

Let me know if there's anything else you need from me. 

Level 9

@JeslynL

Thanks, I'll use that channel directly in future,

You do know that whenever you use that channel, it is set up with an auto reply that sends out a FAQ, and saying you should re-send the message if the FAQ doesn't apply? I haven't bothered to resend the message yet again as this procedure seems to require unnecessary  duplication of information.

Level 7

I would like to report a Local Guide for Spamming. Please advise.

Level 8

Hi @GuyeB

I am tagging Google moderator @AGarner and she would assist you. 

@GuyeB wrote:

I would like to report a Local Guide for Spamming. Please advise.

Level 8

I found a local guide spammimg the same review across multiple businesses, say 1 out of ten reviews are relevant. Example: "best Indian food" for a burger place. "Best brew pub" for a coffee shop. "Great bar and happy hour" for a vegan restaurant with no drinks. Please message privately or email. With 100+ reviews it is a chore to report each one.

Connect Moderator

Hi @GuyeB, it is  nice to see you back here after a so long time

Thanks to @OlegKostyukevich and @Badruddeen, that already tagged a Google moderator for you (well, Oleg moved to the top, tagging our admin. 😉

Please read this post to know how to report a Local Guide: /How-Do-I-Report-Content-on-Google-Maps/

In the meantime, take a few minutes to explore the new structure of the site. We did a lot of improvement, and more will come in the next future

Hope to see you back soon

Ermes

Former Google Contributor

Thanks @Badruddeen@GuyeB I am sending you a message now. 

Level 8

You are welcome. @AGarner 

We are on Connect to help each other. 🙂 

Cheers

Level 7

@GusMoreira  please contact me about a spammer

Thanks

-BeadieJay

Top Contributor 🙂

p.s. Hope I've done this right, this is my first post here!!

Level 8

Hello @BeadieJay

Welcome to Local Guides Connect.

Since you have tagged @GusMoreira Gus, I believe you have read this post by Gus How to report content on Google Maps. In the meantime I'll tag @AGarner too.

Since it's your first post may I suggest to introduce yourself in Introduce Yourself — November 2017 post.

Kindly read this great post by @Corrie titled "Tips: Using Local Guides Connect

Cheers 

Hi @BeadieJay welcome to Connect! I will send you a private message on how to report someone. @Badruddeen shared with you some great links to help you get started as well. Here's a post for tips on searching, posting and interacting with the community. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Level 7

Hi

thanks both for the welcome and links

I typed a reply and it timed out, so will try again!!

I tagged Gus because I know him from Top Contributor Summits. I'm active in the Google Maps Help Forum, so don't think I'll be spending much time here, but it's handy to be able to report spammers directly to a LG Mod rather than asking my Community Manager to do it for me!

As a Level 6 LG the only thing I'm new to is this forum, and I will definitely check out the links that @Badruddeen gave me.

Thanks again for the help & welcome 🙂

BeadieJay

Fantastic @BeadieJay, we're happy you're here! Yes, the best way to report directly in Google Maps is by following the information @BeadieJay sent.

Level 8

Hello @BeadieJay 

Congratulation on attending TCSummit 👏👏👏 That's really interesting. 👍

Cheers

Level 10

Oh? What is this Top Contributor program that you speak of? I would like to think that I have quite some calibre in my contributions here on Local Guides Connect, but now I'm interested in at least gaining a title. I believe I've been pretty helpful and also sparked some excellent insights and opinions into the world of Google Maps and would like to learn more.

Level 8

Hi @Briggs,

In various Google Support Forums, volunteers can climbing up the ladders to become a Top Contributor.

https://topcontributor.withgoogle.com/

Level 10

Hi dear @JeslynL

I want to report a Spammer, please contact me.

Majidmadsdi

@MajidMadadi, I've sent you a PM! Check you inbox, thanks!

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 10

Hello dear. In this case, the user uses repetitive and short sentences to increase the score. Thanks for your quick message. Thank you🌷🌹🙏🇮🇷

Majidmadsdi
Level 3

Hey

the Problem i see here is:

A shop owner sees Reviews he does not like. Therefor he flags them, claiming he has never seen this Person in his shop and all he claims is a lie. If the author doesn't react quickly, his Review will be deleted. Ok. But the shop owner himself can create many fake Reviews, and he does not have to proof anything. That's a huge Problem. I noticed that with a shop which was already caught on another Plattform with socket puppets. And many Reviews here sounds like typical spam Reviews, too. In my opinion everyone should Need to give proof for his Claims. If not, it's very easy for shop owners to cheat.

Level 9

Good Job @PeterH !!!

Thanks @TraciC@JeslynL@YK1001 to maintain such a great responsibility

People trust on Google.

We should not fake them in any way/manner/reason.

Level 8

Hi @Huey,

First of all, we cannot deny that there are obvious spammers - that once their Maps profiles are checked, spamming behaviors are obvious.  For those case, it will prove by itself.

I do not belive Google will just take reports blindly to classify a LG as a spammer, just because someone is reporting. 

Every case will be investigated, I believe.

Level 8

Hi @RonneBD,

Thank you!

I am a Connect Moderator.  Just like you, I am a Local Guide.  I am not part of Google.

Google Moderators are.

Everyone can do our part to flight spams.

Level 3

Hi @YK1001

Thank you for your Reply. I'm not sure that every Report is checked. Has anybody checked that?

Level 8

So far, for those cases that I reported, I noticed some actions were taken.  It just take time.

Level 3

Good. so there is hope. Maybe i'll try and Report some, although in this case it seems there are many fake Ratings.

Anyway, thank you!!!   

Level 8

For one or two spam reviews / bad photos, we use Flagging to report the Content.

If you identified a Spammer, come to Connect post a message saying "I want to report a spammer" without posting details in public.

Oour  Google Moderators will contact you via Connect's Private Messaging so that you can share the details in private channels.

Level 3

Thanks a lot @YK1001. Thats helpful!

I reported 3 fake reviews. One somehow is removed. <CONTRIBUTIONS URL REMOVED> however who is a local guide and made a fake review hasn't been punished for violating local guide rules and policies. He enlisted his friend <CONTRIBUTIONS URL REMOVED> to make a fake review also. I have the FB messenger conversation of her admitting the truth and instigated by Joshua

This has been three months ago.

I reported this over a year ago. @GeorgesHR How long does it take?

Level 8

Hi @DenverProphitJr,

Please do not post details in public to protect everyone's privacy.

Although you considered they are spamming, we still have to protect their privacy.

Level 3

@DenverProphitJris it common that local guides are threated differently??

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JeslynL Hello, there is a user on Google maps who has posted over 1000 photos on locations all over the world. None of them are relevant to the location. I'd like to report them and have all their spam removed.

Those links are from public reviews and profiles. There are no provisions for privacy on those links shared to the public on google maps.

Level 8

Hi @MariaBi,

Need your help regarding Privacy Concerns here.

I fail to see how a link to their specific review is private. It's a public review.

@Anonymous, I shot over a PM with more details on how to share this info with the team. Thank you for not sharing the details of the user you are reporting! 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 10

I also saw that and was amazed... Over 27 countries ...

@Kwang wrote:

@JeslynL Hello, there is a user on Google maps who has posted over 1000 photos on locations all over the world. None of them are relevant to the location. I'd like to report them and have all their spam removed.

Level 10

Hi dear @JeslynL

@I want to report a spammer , please contact me .

Majidmadsdi

@MajidMadadi, I believe I have reached out to you yesterday with the necessary details you need. Thanks.

Level 10

Thank you for yesterday. But this is new. Please Check Your e-mail.🙏🌷🌹

Majidmadsdi
Level 10

Dear @JeslynL

Hello dear, this user, with the copy of the bank logo, is trying to increase the number of visits. Please consider. Best regards🌷

Majidmadsdi

@DenverProphitJr Google Maps contributions profiles are indeed public and discoverable but we do not proactively sieve out and circulate these profiles as we want to maintain everyone's privacy, even though they may have violated Google Maps’ policies or Local Guides’ Community Guidelines.  Please note that reviewing of reported spammers do take time as the team is careful to only remove content that violates specific policies. 

@Huey, to answer your question, violation of Google Maps’ policies (and/or Local Guides’ Community Guidelines) is not tolerated and actions will be taken for those who do not adhere to the policies. 

I want to report a Spammer, please contact me.

Level 3

@JeslynLthank you. Let's hope Google can discover even easy ways of Manipulation. I doubt it, though.

Level 9

@MuhammadOthman  It would help the moderators if you could provide some details regarding type of spam. Such as a guide posting spam or a business with spam locations. Here is a link on who to contact. I say this so the right people will get the information.

Connect Moderator

Thanks @MuhammadOthman for reaching us. 

Please open the link provided by @davidcox

And here below. Do not share private details in here, only tag a moderator, let say @BruceDM

Please read this post to know how to report a Local Guide: /How-Do-I-Report-Content-on-Google-Maps/

Level 4

I want to report a spammer.  Please contact me. 

Thanks @ErmesT 

@MuhammadOthman i'll send you a Private Message with instructions shortly.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 8

@RaulFelix wrote:

I want to report a spammer.  Please contact me. 

Hello @RaulFelix

Please read this post by connect moderator @GusMoreira 

How to report content on Google Maps.

In the meantime I'll tag @AGarner too.

Cheers