Rodrigo_P's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps

Googler

UPDATE: As of June 11, 2020, we now have a new process in place for reporting abusive activity on Google Maps. You can report entire profiles on Google Maps from your mobile device. Read this post to learn more.

Have you ever come across a place on Google Maps that doesn’t really exist? How about a place with incorrect details that look suspicious? These edits violate the Google My Business guidelines and Local Guides guidelines, and they’re considered fraud.

People post fraud on Google Maps for the sake of profit-generating scams, which hurt legitimate businesses and make Maps less useful for everyone. You can help fight spam by reporting violations.

Maps listings with keywords in their address fieldsMaps listings with keywords in their address fields

.:: How do I identify fraud on Google Maps? Look for the following.

• Businesses that list a P.O. Box, post office or virtual office as an address. A business needs to have a real-world address to be listed on Google Maps. Virtual offices and shared workspaces are acceptable if they’re staffed during typical business hours, but be aware that using these types of places as addresses is a popular fraud technique. P.O. Boxes are OK in countries where they are essential, such as Kenya and the U.A.E.
  • Online-only businesses. Online businesses that don’t meet customers face-to-face are not eligible to be on Maps.
  • Businesses that don’t exist. If a business is on Maps but is not real, it should be reported.
  • Businesses that use employees’ addresses. The scam here is to make it appear that the business has locations in places where it doesn’t actually operate. If you see a business that seems to be in a purely residential area, this might be the reason.
  • Keyword “stuffing.” If you see search terms “stuffed” into place names or address fields, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Fake websites or phone numbers. For example, a fraudulent hotel listing might include a hotel booking site instead of a site for an individual business. If a business’s site seems broken or distributes malware, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Business impersonators: Some people create fake listings for real businesses, such as national chains. If you think a listing might be fraudulent, check the brand’s official site to see its legitimate locations.
  • Reviews that point out abuse. Sometimes, people will notice a fraudulent listing and note it in a review.
  • Profanity. Sometimes, people will deface legitimate listings with edits that include foul language.
  • Illegal businesses: If a business is illegal where it operates, it can’t be on Google Maps.

.::How do I report fraud on Google Maps?

1. Find the business on Google Maps
  2. Scroll down and select Suggest an edit
  3. Tap Place is permanently closed or has never existed
  4. Select Spam, fake or offensive as the reason
  5. Tap Submit

Report the listing as spam flowReport the listing as spam flow

.::Reporting a Local Guide

If you've found a Local Guide contributing content or behaving in a way that seems to violate our policies or Local Guides program rules, you now have the ability to report these profiles directly in the Google Maps app. In order to do so, click on the user name in the list of Reviews/Photos they contributed or the Question/Answer they posted to get to their profile page. Once on their profile page, click on the three dot icon. Choose ‘Report’ from the menu on iOS or ‘Report profile’ on Android. For additional information, read this post.

.::Reporting spammed, fake, or duplicate prominent locations to Google Moderators

There are certain prominent places which Local Guides can’t edit in Google Maps, such as cities, towns, rivers, natural formations, and more. If you come across a spammed, fake or duplicate location for which you cannot submit an edit or your edit is automatically rejected, let us know in a comment below. Make sure to tag a Google Moderator and provide the following details: 

• Google Maps URL of the location (Eg: https://goo.gl/maps/qAZfCWDfZzoqchHL9);
  • What’s wrong with the place? Is it spammed, fake, or duplicate?
  • Which is the wrong information? Is it the name, category, or contact information?
  • What should the correct information be? Tell us the original name of the place in English and in the local language (if applicable), the right category (Zoo, Museum, etc.), and the correct contact information (official website, address, phone number, etc.).
2,851 Comments
Level 2

@JeslynL wrote:

Hi @Monte, have you checked out this post about reporting spam on Maps? I suggest reading it first, then feel free to tag me if you wish to report a Local Guide whose Maps contributions violate Google Maps' policies and/or Local Guides program rules.

Thank you for your answer! I read above mentioned link you suggested many times. Please note that I am very confused because I found that Moderators are -

Moderator” under the name, we want to use this post to introduce us to you. We are @TraciC, @LuisRG, @BellaWi, @GusMoreira, @HelloJess and @YanniY.

Could you please clarify to me @JeslynL.

Level 9

@TraciC

"I want to report a Spammer, please contact me."

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Monte@Gaijin, I have shared more details via private message. Please check your inbox.

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 3

I want to report a Spammer, please contact me. @JeslynL

Hi @Panohr

We'll send you a mail briefly via private message. Many thanks for your support.

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Level 10

@JeslynL

Thank you for taking action towards 

The case I reported .

We must keep Google maps clean and accurate. 

Level 9

Thanks. Have submitted my concerns via email, as requested.

PEB

Level 5

Hope you do what you can to stop him!

Level 8

@AilínE There is a option appear with images whether this is appropriate or not......you can only do this nothing else.

Thank You! -- Rashid Jorvee
Level 3

Hi I'd like to report a local guide I found spamming the same reviews and photos at different locations.

@TraciC @LuisRG

Level 7

@Jbautista13 You can report it here, click the three dots, and you find a report option; you can also send feed back on google maps.

Level 3

Thank you.

Level 10

Hello @MariaBi I want to report a spammer 

Hi @HelloSamsonR

I'll contact you via private message soon. 

Many thanks!

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Level 5

I want to report a Spammer, please contact me.

Level 9

I am sorry to say there is not a group that will make out going calls to take spam reports. There are a number of ways to go about it but requires effort on your part to document and follow up on it.  One of the people that are very active in resolving spam complaints is Joy Hawking who has written a detailed guide of what to do and what to know in reporting spam. The Google My Business forum has a section devoted to spam and with enough information, may be able to help you resolve it. Here is a link to the specific section of that community.  The important things is to know Google's policy and interpretation of what spam is not necessarily what we think it is. There can be a substantially different. Maps is rampant with it and I hope you can get it resolved. Clearly, people are putting effort into getting listings and visibility since it can be very valuable traffic, especially for some industries. And the equal effort needs to be put in to cut down on it.

Googler

Hi @Jbautista13 and @ZekariasT. Please see this post which explains how you can report content on Google Maps as you can use the three dots here in Connect for Connect posts you find as inappropriate only. 
I also recommend reading this post for tips on searching, posting and interacting with the community to make your experience here on Connect much more enjoyable and easier to navigate.

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 5

There is a local guide that clearly has favoritism when writing reviews. Need a mod to help me look into this further.

Level 8

Best is to @ one of the official moderators and from there they will direct you on what is best for reporting there guide @Drewby

Level 5

Thank you @DiAnaUS, @TraciC if you could assist me thank you in advance.

Level 9

Hello Mr. @Drewby hope you are fine today. 

@Drewby wrote:

There is a local guide that clearly has favoritism when writing reviews. Need a mod to help me look into this further.

Owh let me invite @JeslynL

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Connect Moderator

Hi @amawhorter, I've give you more details via private message. Please check your inbox.

@davidcox - Thanks for sharing! The article by Joy is super useful for flagging out businesses that do not follow the GMB guidelines. Community members, though, more often get on Connect to let us know of Local Guides who violate the Google Maps’ policies or Local Guides’ Community Guidelines. Additionally, the Local Guides program is always evolving, like our recent announcement of the new levels & ways to contribute to Maps. Therefore, we always encourage everyone to always refer back to the relevant help centers and dedicated communities for more information on reporting content on Google Maps.

Thanks @ErmesT

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Hi @Drewby, I've shared more information with you over private message. Check your inbox!

Level 8

Hello, @JeslynL@MariaBi.

I woul like to report a Local Guide whose Maps contributions violate Local Guides program rules.

Thank you in advance.

Level 8

@GeorgyG

Encore un. J'en ai signalé une petite centaine, depuis un mois, mais rien ne se passe (encore) du côté de Google.

A ce demander s'ils prennent le sujet sérieusement.

@GeorgyG quelle type d'infraction?

Swiss | Switzerland | Suisse francophone Level 8 : visitez moi Ne passez pas à coté d'un J'AIME et marquer les réponses comme solution. Android|Jean-Luc|Suisse romande|Switzerland french speaking area|Google Maps Local Guide Level 8 https://goo.gl/maps/HuzFUEBbgtt
Googler

Hi @GeorgyG. I'll send you a private message with further instructions as it sounds like you've already read this article on reporting content on Google Maps, so thank you. 

@Lémanique As we have shared a number of times with you here on Connect as well as privately via email, the Local Guides team and Google Maps takes all spam reports seriously, and the review of such reports take time as we take care not to make any errors. As you also know, we can not share the results of our investigations with you, but if any actions are necessary, the team takes them. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 8

@TraciC bonjour...quels sont les délais de traitement? 3 jours? 3 semaines? 3 mois?

Quels éléments supplémentaires faut-il à vos équipes pour traiter les cas que je vous ai transmis? Même un enfant de 10 ans verrait l'escroquerie. Pas besoin d'être un grand détective et de mener une enquête pendant des semaines.

Dans tous les forums, Google est pointé du doigt pour ne pas agir contre les faux avis et les profils malveillants. Pourquoi devrions-nous croire que vous prenez le sujet au sérieux?

J'attend avec impatience que les profils que je vous ai signalé il y a 3 semaines (ou plus) soient supprimés et je cesserai de vous importuner.

Cordialement.

PS : inutile de répéter toujours les même chose, j'ai 45 ans et j'utilise les produits Maps (et ses dérivés) depuis 10 ans.

TraciC a écrit :

Hi @GeorgyG. I'll send you a private message with further instructions as it sounds like you've already read this article on reporting content on Google Maps, so thank you. 

@Lémanique As we have shared a number of times with you here on Connect as well as privately via email, the Local Guides team and Google Maps takes all spam reports seriously, and the review of such reports take time as we take care not to make any errors. As you also know, we can not share the results of our investigations with you, but if any actions are necessary, the team takes them. 

Swiss | Switzerland | Suisse francophone Level 8 : visitez moi Ne passez pas à coté d'un J'AIME et marquer les réponses comme solution. Android|Jean-Luc|Suisse romande|Switzerland french speaking area|Google Maps Local Guide Level 8 https://goo.gl/maps/HuzFUEBbgtt
Googler

@Lémanique We can not and will not provide you with an estimated time that action will be taken. We look at a number of factors when reviewing reports of inappropriate contributions and sharing a timeframe just is not possible. 

Level 7

@TraciC I need to report (with evidence) a forced attempt to get a negative review removed. 

Level 9

@JeslynL thank you for the information. I am curious on knowing the different ways to report spam and when to use what method. I can see reporting here people that are leaving fake reviews and information here at this community. From the link to reporting spam, it seems to cover reporting abuse by contributors Reporting a Local Guide and pictures. That I am clear on. What would be the right place to report an incorrect (spam Google My Business listing like a law firm that has a post office box in a UPS store) Do I do that also at this forum? the link does not address that topic and I do not want to miss place the effort. There seems to be a number of forums and communities that touch on the subject of spam listing but each issue has nuances.  Here is an example that I found of a law firm in a PO box They also look to have 2 other locations one is certainly questionable. They also have a high volume reviewer that looks like spam.  The one contributor has  32 reviews and a lot are for DUI  in UT, PA, RI, and personal injury in Saint Lewis.   When I am working on contributions post here, then when on Google My Business Pages report over there?  I am sure you can straighten me out so I do not create confusion. 

Level 8

Hi @davidcox,

Personally, I use below to decide how to report and where to report:

1.  For claimed business, Business Owner should post at GMB community or even contact Support using the Dashboard when their Business is a victim of Fake contributions

2.  For LGs that wants to report bad contents

- For Fake POI / Duplicate that are Claimed, I will post to GMB community

- For Bad Review / Photo, I will flag using the Maps UI

3.  If a LG post lots of Bad content, to a level that I consider they are a Spammer

- I will post at Connect Feedback board to, saying I want to report a Spammer.  Note to not post any personal details in public to protect people's privacy

Just my two cents.

Level 9

@YK1001 Thank you very much. I have started the reporting process #3) for the contributor spam and hope to see how that works out. Thank you for letting me know. One of the issues I have had is finding all the tabs for different sections of the forum. I will go over to GMB for the listing. I appreciate the help or any other suggestions on best ways to proceed. I am developing a set of notes since it all depends on the situation. Pretty soon I will figure it out. 

Level 8

I am glad that you find it helpful, @davidcox!

Making Maps clean take much more effort than earning points.  

Thank you for making Maps better for everyone!

Level 9

I certainly agree and am learning that quickly. Based on how different things are displayed based on a search I am starting to think that the algorithm knows the information is shaky and is looking for solid reasons to change. The one listing does not show up on a typical search but with address modifier, it does so that leads me to think they think something is up. I just do not want to pass over the flagrant stuff and accumulate points only. Thanks again

Googler

Hi @Robinsonna. If you're referencing a business owner who is trying to have a review removed, I recommend visiting the Google My Business Community as they may be able to assist you as we handle the reporting of Local Guides' content. Here's a relevant conversation that should be helpful. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tag them on here

Please send me a PM so I can link you to the level 4 guide who made a fake review of my company. Because, I did not agree with his radical left beliefs.

Level 8

@TraciC I observed a spammer since long time I had reported his photos many time But Still they are present. So I want to report a Spammer Please Contact Me

Level 10

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/One-way-to-stop-Fake-Reviews/td-p/388357#.W...

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Googler

Hi @NikishD I will send you a private message with information on how to share this information privately with the team. Thank you.

Level 8

It's been over a month since I reported someone. Just checked their account and it's still exactly the same. Still 90% of reviews are "ok" "good" . Just this week there are 19 reviews, all five stars, all ok............... how is something five stars and just ok? Still posting the exact same photos over and over again, plus then posting those same photos for a larger area.  Again just this week over 200 photos.  We are talking hundreds of spam photos, if not thousands of photos.

I've seen complaints all over the internet about this account. People are turned off LG's at the site of this account and basically leave as they feel disheartened by it.  

I don't understand how and why you can be so strict in here and yet apparently the maps apps is a free for all. 

I work hard for my points. I fix my errors when I make them. We could all be level 10 if we just spammed the program with "ok" reviews and spam photos. 

Level 8

Ok. @TraciC I am awaiting for your Private Message

@TraciC wrote:

Hi @NikishD I will send you a private message with information on how to share this information privately with the team. Thank you.

Level 8

@Teejai wrote:

It's been over a month since I reported someone. Just checked their account and it's still exactly the same. Still 90% of reviews are "ok" "good" . Just this week there are 19 reviews, all five stars, all ok............... how is something five stars and just ok? Still posting the exact same photos over and over again, plus then posting those same photos for a larger area.  Again just this week over 200 photos.  We are talking hundreds of spam photos, if not thousands of photos.

I've seen complaints all over the internet about this account. People are turned off LG's at the site of this account and basically leave as they feel disheartened by it.  

I don't understand how and why you can be so strict in here and yet apparently the maps apps is a free for all. 

I work hard for my points. I fix my errors when I make them. We could all be level 10 if we just spammed the program with "ok" reviews and spam photos. 

@Teejai I think @TraciC can help you to report the spammer.

Level 2

You could make account and by adding stolen pics, pasting comments, and by rating places you never been, get level 5 in 48 hours or less.

Level 2

@SergeySudUnfortunately, the main problem is lack of communication between top users and google. You pointed the problem, but without result. If top user like you Sergey, can not communicate with google on personal level and to solve this simple problem, I shall not even try to do something.

@SergeySud wrote:

@TraciCI tried both methods (1. Reporting a Review or Photo; 2. Reporting a Local Guide). I have to say that both of the proposed methods are inefficient and don't give any result. None of my reports have been solved, no one point have been removed from the violator's rating, no reviews have been deleted, no photos have been removed. All violators, of which I have reported, successfully continue their activities on maps.

Level 2
@VinkoV: You are right about reporting - This is too slow and unpredictable process, also it is impossible to know the results of reporting, as there is no feedback. Please note that it is irrational to do report, if there is generally no action and no feedback. As it is said - Please note, we will not share the results of the investigation with you due to privacy concerns.

Level 9

Nice

@YK1001 wrote:

Hi @AilínE,

You can create a post here saying "I want to report a Spammer, please contact me.", but please do not include any personal details in the public post.

It is better if you can tag/mention one of our Google Moderators in the post also.

Our Google Moderators then will contact you so that you can send the Spammer details via private communication channels.

Please  be noted that Google seldom, if not never, communicate back to you the result of your report.  And do not expect fast actions as reviewing Spammer activities is a serious process and it takes time.

Thanks for your reply but does Google really take actions against those fake reviews? Some people posts hatred comments on a company website for personal problem. This can't be real review.

Asif
Level 10

I want to report a Spammer, please contact me @TraciC

Thanks