opeyemisnr's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Re: Refusal to map or review locations by business owners

Well there's need for enlightenment and also educating business owners why they should get listed. It is understandable when a business owner finds you taking pictures of their place it springs up security questions as to what you are up to, however this is why you should let them know why you take the picture and also educate them. Once they understand they will surely go the extra mile of giving you much details you need because its a win-win (beneficial to their business and mapping for you)

Level 8

Hello @opeyemisnr, this is indeed a good 'problem' you just highlighted, one that most of us can relate.

I recall the excitement of walking into the You Read Library at Yaba after being launched and took pictures. A little later, a lady told me it was not allowed. I went the usual route of explaining but it was a brickwall. She said she understood except it was a policy issue. Honestly, I did not believe her. However, she didnt mind if I took pictures outside but not inside the library. I asked if she had seen the review by @Sayo, she said no, so I sent her the link so she could see/understand what we do.

We will have to keep explaining and if you can, show them another review on maps. One that works for me is to show them their business after it has been approved by Google by just typing their business name on Google maps and it pops up! They usually are elated about it.

So, give it a shot!

Level 7

I added my workplace to the map and my boss was pleased as he didn't know you could do it, and it helps visitors to find us.

Level 10

I love this thought of yours @awesomecreation

@awesomecreation wrote:

I have also found our attitude will go a long way toward helping make it a good experience. I have seen both the ones who have a hard time letting me in and those that were excited about being featured. When I have come into stores excited about their product, happy to talk with the owner, showing interest in what they say and saying, 'hey, I'm a local guide, i'd love to showcase your store on google!" 9 times out of 10, people are fine with it. Just a thought. 

@@ If owners/workers see you're particularly interested in their products/services rendered, they'll more likely hear and give in to your side of the story rather than just walk in to take pictures and information to help the

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!
Level 8

Thanks so much!

Connect Moderator

Hello @opeyemisnr, I have written a blogpost on my experience with this topic:

https://janvanhaver.com/2018/02/15/open-letter-to-all-business-owners/

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

I love your write up on the blog site. Nice one. @JanVanHaver

@JanVanHaver wrote:

Hello @opeyemisnr, I have written a blogpost on my experience with this topic:

https://janvanhaver.com/2018/02/15/open-letter-to-all-business-owners/

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!
Connect Moderator

Thx for the compliment, @MrLabule. Make sure to also check out this one if you need arguments towards business owners

https://janvanhaver.com/2017/10/22/why-you-need-to-claim-your-company-on-google-maps/

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 8

@opeyemisnr 

Hola, estoy de acuerdo, varias veces pasamos por eso. Yo logre subir una galeria con 32 locales comerciales. Fue una hermosa experiencia.

Pero hay negocios, que por los productos que manejan, tienen convenios o politicas empresariariales, que no les permiten trabajar con Guias Locales de Google.

Por lo que no nos pueden dar autorizacion, que es el tema que tu traes aqui.

Tambien tenemos que manejar , cuando los empresarios, cuestionan  la seguridad de los datos , donde llegaran las fotos que tomamos. En esos casos, lo que yo hago, es tomar las fotografias, mostrarselas y subir el lugar en ese  momento, frente a ellos. Algunas veces por seguridad, me han pedido identificacion y les muestro mi trabajo en maps, para que vean como se usan los datos y como la comunidad los ve y se den cuenta de los beneficios.

Saludos

LuaPL
Level 7

Excellent observation @opeyemisnr

This is same story for most local guides. 

That's why some local guides snap the frontage of some businesses and input other details.

Though it is a step by step process, local guides must be friendly, knowledgeable and passionate to make our world a better place to navigate and appreciate.