opeyemisnr's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Refusal to map or review locations by business owners

WhatsApp Image 2018-05-23 at 12.28.41 PM.jpeg

This is a personal experience of encountering business owners or decision makers in various business locations who have blatantly refused to give permission for local guides to either add their businesses to the Map if not already in existence or write some reviews about their business with some snapshots. This encounter cuts across big enterprises to SMEs, I got into a location where there are several furniture makers. So I hopped into the first shop to speak to the people there, they seem to know what I was about. Before I went too far, someone interjected me and said "I know what you are trying to do, but my boss will not allow you" at this instance I became more curious and wanted to meet with the boss, so I got the phone number of the boss and spoke to him on the but he was hesitant. I experienced the same across almost all the shops until I got into 'Horbal Interior Decor' the experience here was different. The lady at the front desk welcomed and listened to me after which she directed me to the supervisor in charge of the place and ultimately I met with the boss. The boss asked a lot of questions and also wanted to know how his brand will benefit from my creating his location on the Map. Of course I enlightened him about being visible to more customers which will impact positively on his bottom line.

He was very warm and receptive, told me to take all kinds of pictures, two of which is shown above. It will be more expository for businesses of only they will allow Local Guides do their job by mapping and writing reviews of places.

This is my experience at the furniture making shop, I will appreciate if anyone can help with suggestions of how best to convince business owners and decision makers to give permission.

Thank you,    

Ado Road, Aja, Lagos, Nigeria
22 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 6
Solution

Re: Refusal to map or review locations by business owners

I am in total agreement with your write up, i believe it is peculiar to all local guides around the world, as I have encountered such resistance too, whilst at a meet up hosted by @EmekaUlor we met with a security guard from a bank that tried to stop us from taking pictures and proceeded to quote incorrect and nonexistent laws to us, in which I promptly replied to him that I am in fact a practising lawyer and no such laws exist, I would recommend that as local guides anywhere in the world we should employ wisdom, tact and a huge dose of caution whilst maintaining a friendly and amiable disposition. 

View solution in original post

Level 6
Solution

I am in total agreement with your write up, i believe it is peculiar to all local guides around the world, as I have encountered such resistance too, whilst at a meet up hosted by @EmekaUlor we met with a security guard from a bank that tried to stop us from taking pictures and proceeded to quote incorrect and nonexistent laws to us, in which I promptly replied to him that I am in fact a practising lawyer and no such laws exist, I would recommend that as local guides anywhere in the world we should employ wisdom, tact and a huge dose of caution whilst maintaining a friendly and amiable disposition. 

Level 9

This is s trend we have all come across and as you have done, educating the business on the merits of being listed on the map with pictures, reviews and contact info is still the best way to go. Keep guiding ...

Level 7

Thank you. And I welcome your suggestion.

Level 10

I can relate with your ordeal @opeyemisnr! While I agree that a lot of business owners resist their shops or offices being photographed, I can also let you know that there are countless others who wouldn't mind having photos of their business locations taken and added to Google Maps.

Overall, just keep the fire of your Local Guide passion burning - whether there's resistance or not.

Level 10

Enlightenment is the key. If they refuse however, I'll let them be. It's a volunteer program. It's free getting them listed. So there's no issue if they disagree. 

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!
Level 8

I have also found our attitude will go a long way toward helping make it a good experience. I have seen both the ones who have a hard time letting me in and those that were excited about being featured. When I have come into stores excited about their product, happy to talk with the owner, showing interest in what they say and saying, 'hey, I'm a local guide, i'd love to showcase your store on google!" 9 times out of 10, people are fine with it. Just a thought. 

Level 7

@SanyaOdare Thanks for your comment. We move on in spite of the resistance.

Thanks 

Level 10

@opeyemisnr I fully share in your experience. It's a regular encounter especially with people who know little or nothing about the Google Maps. I often use my discretion when mapping to avoid unpleasant repetitive actions.

Isaac
Level 7

Thank you Isaac