jojo522's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Recent Trends and related issues for Local Guides

Would like to discuss some issues due to recent trends and  the subsequent  problems and commitments for Local Guides due to it.

I understand that before Local Guides were free to Add Name for New Places and now the Business Owner themselves started  the addition of New Names for their New Business.This reduced the involvement of Local Guides. But still there are a lot of business for which New Places were not added by them.

Also understand the complicated and confusing algorithms  why  Additions or Edit  were showing as Pending or Not Applied.

Borivili is my second home where i used to make edit and addition having familiarity .Please find below an issue.

1) Correct College is shown as wrong college with small alphabet c

2)College is shown as ATM as category.

3)If there is no college how come ATM

https://goo.gl/maps/zd3S7L5qXSs

Nalanda college
I C Colony, Borivali West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400103
NOT APPLIED · Name
Nalanda college
I C Colony, Borivali West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400103
NOT APPLIED · Name · Category

My question is as a Local Guide does our commitment  be the same ? Since the responsibility was given to Business owner why bother to their introspective question of it is none of your  business to involve in our business.

jojo
I C Colony, Borivali West, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
2 comments
Level 10

Re: Recent Trends and related issues for Local Guides

@jojo522 Google My Business (GMB) as well as Local Guides are 2 different, separate programs from Google. Both has been there for sometime, and it's not recent. GMB is more for business users to manage their presence online as well as Maps; and Local Guides are for non-business contributors to help update, maintain Maps and share our experience and knowledge. 

Under GMB, a business location can and should only be added by the business owner or a person assigned by the business owner to manage the business. Reason why many businesses hasn't added their business directly is possibly because they don't know about GMB or even Maps.

So, for those businesses that are not present on Maps, Local Guides can try to assist to add them, although in my opinion, first preference should be done by business owner through GMB. And Local Guides can add many other non-business places which are not covered by GMB such as public tourist places, public attractions etc.

Regarding your issue in your post.

1. Is there a college there? I looked at the satellite view and see only greenery and no large building for a college as such.

2. Is there an ATM there?

3. The name is probably wrong if this is an ATM. 

4. (I can't confirm for sure for this) There is possibly a temporary non-edit for banking/financial places in India at the moment because of banking scams through Maps recently. Read this https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Bank-scam-using-Google-maps-Loophole/m-p/11...

So if this is the case, I think maybe edits for banks/ATMs could be put on hold for the moment, which can explain why your edits are not applied even if accurate. I don't know this for sure though, so this may not be accurate.

Maybe others from India can expand more on (4).

Level 10

Re: Recent Trends and related issues for Local Guides

@StephenAbraham Thank  you very much for the  explanation  and clarification as usual which were really very useful  and clear. Appreciate your sincere approach to clarify even  minute problems.taking time and efforts.

In this regards, Cases like  Bank Scam inculcating  fear  and insecurity for private information which we are providing with much efforts, risk and time to be misused by anybody. to be taken very seriously by concerned. If so our efforts will be having negative effect affecting the safety, security and freedom to community and society.

A debate on the subject Do we have risk for other areas affecting like Bank Scam? If so as Local Guides and Google what measures to be taken.

Kindly advise?

jojo