AdrianLunsong's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Recap on Local Guides...

This is where the rabbit hole starts!This is where the rabbit hole starts!Yay to Manchester!!Yay to Manchester!!22nd October.

2013!!

That's the day I signed up for the Google City Experts program, the baby that grew up to eventually become Local Guides. Back then it was launched only in a few major cities and it was only on 4th March 2014, that it rolled out to Manchester, UK, my adopted home away from home.

With the launch party set for 1st May, it was a long but exciting wait; my very first Google event! And it didn't disappoint set in the excellent backdrop of the beautiful Victoria Baths with a silent disco, food stalls, photo booths and an actual DJ session too!

Photo booths FTW!Photo booths FTW!My very first Google event!My very first Google event!

I can still remember the awesome Katie Glass who was the UK rep at the time. She was super and during her stint at City Experts she organised many events such as a Secret Supper at Chethams (June), a Garden Party at the Allotment Bar (August), and finally the Science of Food at the Museum of Science and Industry (October).

At the MOSI #goscience!At the MOSI #goscience!Caption: Animated GIF showing a crowd of attendees at the City Experts event at the Science and Industry Museum in ManchesterCaption: Animated GIF showing a crowd of attendees at the City Experts event at the Science and Industry Museum in ManchesterAwww.. I got to hug a bush!!!Awww.. I got to hug a bush!!!The Secret Supper group!The Secret Supper group!

Then a quiet spell as Google went back to figure out how to scale such a popular program to the rest of the world! On January 15th 2015, we had our answer; Local Guides! And by 27th Feb, I had become a moderator on the official (back then) Manchester community on G+. It was Amy Korin that handled my induction with a group hangout! And the first time I came across Traci Cappiello was in June when another moderator session was held online.

Voila.. City Experts became Local Guides!Voila.. City Experts became Local Guides!

Ooh er.. responsibilities!!Ooh er.. responsibilities!!Scaling up to Global level!!Scaling up to Global level!!

Do you know when Local Guides Connect went live? That would be 1st August 2016!! With the sad but understandable departure of officially supported local communities on G+, Local Guides from all over were encouraged to join their 'voices' on Connect! Oh, the resistance and frustrations!! LOL.

The dream made real!The dream made real!

The first time I met the other attendees!!The first time I met the other attendees!!Then, we had our very first Local Guides Summit in September 2016. Oh my gosh.. that email that I received on 20th May.. wow.. I still remember sitting down with my friend for drinks after work and he asked me if I had received any email yet about it. I had been so busy at work that I completely forgot to check! It was like a lottery moment.. I blinked.. I re-read.. and I re-read the email. And then I passed my phone over and asked my friend to just double check that my eyes weren't deceiving me!!

It was amazing! Too many wonderful memories..too may great friendships made.. too few words to describe them all! What was important though was that I left (my heart in San Francisco) for home feeling pumped and excited and exuberant! It was only after meeting all the wonderful folks at the summit, was I then able to have enough courage to organise my very own event!

Summit 2017!! Baby blue!!!Summit 2017!! Baby blue!!!Ermm... I can't rotate this!Ermm... I can't rotate this!Maybe it's because the folks in there are so mad!Maybe it's because the folks in there are so mad!

And then lightning struck twice (who knew)!! Off I went to the next Summit in 2017! Another round of amazing memories, experiences and friends!! Another round of coming home feeling that I could do anything!!

Fast forward to today and I've now organised numerous events from food crawls, photo walks and get togethers. Through Local Guides, I've been able to build on my self esteem and confidence, improve my social skills (still much to do!) and also appreciate that my overachiever nature and OCD on organising, is actually a plus!! Engineers can be useful after all!!

Photo walkPhoto walkPhoto walk on a boat?! Why not!!Photo walk on a boat?! Why not!!Food crawl!!Food crawl!!

But more importantly look at how the Local Guides program has matured into an all inclusive global community of passionate folks! Look at how everyday people have been empowered to do more for their local communities! I remember fondly the first global photo walk organised by @PaulPavlinovich in which the Manchester folks participated too! And on the back of Summit 17, we've seen many new global initiatives from summit attendees ( @AlejandraMaria and @ErmesT to name a few!)

So what's in store for 2018?! Well, it's an open book and you could say, the world needs the positive power of Local Guides even more! I wish all Local Guides the best in their application for Connect Live and may you find your own voice and strength through this amazing and enriching community!  

Photo battle with Singapore GuidesPhoto battle with Singapore GuidesToronto, London and Manchester Guides having a fun day in LondonToronto, London and Manchester Guides having a fun day in LondonSome of the promos for my eventsSome of the promos for my events

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
7 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Recap on Local Guides...

Arrrgggh... the formatting!!! It's so hard to control it!!!! #OCD #madness 

Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
Level 9

Loved the recap since 2013 @AdrianLunsong, hope to see you again this year during Connect live, best of luck with your application!

Connect Moderator

Thanks @AslamMo!! It took a while to get all the photos and email screenshots in place! And quite sad too to find out that I've been wearing the same clothes since 2013!! Lol!!

Level 9

@AdrianLunsong, I am a minimalist myself, why throw away stuff when it looks fine 🙂

Level 9

Wuauuu!!! @AdrianLunsong,

I am totally impressed about your involved with Local Guides Programa. You have seen how it was borned. Amazing

Yestarday was the last time I mentioned you 😀😁. When I am asked by my friends about LGSummit17 I start from the airport. It was really funny the way we meet sending photos and we make the "AAA" Team with and then in SF became the "ASA" Team 🤣😂🤣😂

Many many thanks for tagging me to your story. 😉

Best wishes !

Good Evening from the South of Spain, Alejandra.

Connect Moderator

Awesome recap of your journey, @AdrianLunsong. Really enjoyed reading about your time before it even became Local Guides! 

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Connect Moderator

cool post on how LG grew up from City Experts all those years ago 🙂