AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[Recap] Workshop: Google Maps and other Google Tools for Archaeology Explorers

The Archaeological Society of Sri Lanka is a volunteer organization, which was started in 1962 and one of the leading volunteer organizations in Sri Lanka. They have more than 350 members.

The Archaeological Society of Sri Lanka is organizing a series of workshops for their members, and they invited me as a Google Local Guide to educate their members on using Google Maps and related products in Archaeology Explorations.

As a Google Local Guide, who is interested in recording archaeological sites in Sri Lanka I was delighted when they invited me to conduct a workshop for their members. The topic of the workshop was “Google Maps and other Tools for Archaeology Explorers, with an introduction to Google Maps Local Guides Program.”

Workshop.jpg

There were 15 participants in the workshop, after the introduction, a brief introduction to the Google Maps was presented. AS archaeology explorers, they always wanted to explore new archaeological places in Sri Lanka and other parts of the world. First, a demonstration of new Google Earth was done, and they really amazed to see it, and they quickly understood the power of the Google Earth. We then had a discussion on how to use it in their explorations. I explained to them how they can visit site virtually before they actually visit the site and identify the places and special features they want to see when they visit the site.

Then we moved to the Google Street View, and I demonstrated how they can use Google Street View to plan ahead their visit to the sites.  I also showed the power of 360 photos. Then the fun activity, exploring the world using Google Cardboard application. I was only having two Google Cardboards, and they enjoyed this activity, and all of them were asking where they can buy Google Cardboard in Sri Lanka.

Unfortunately, it is not available in Sri Lanka, and I think this is something Google Local Guides program must address. This is the one of the best and cheapest way to enjoy 360 photos and explore the world. If the Google Local Guide Program provides a way to buy Google Cardboard from anywhere in the world, it will really help the people. @TraciC, is there any way the Google Local Guide program can help? This will really help the students in our countries to learn new things through Google Maps related products. This will give students to visit sites all around the world, which may be a dream, that will never realize for them in their life. This is something I really love about Google Maps related products, allowing people to see things around the world without actually visiting them. I enjoy sharing my knowledge on these products and teach them to explore the world with Google Maps and related products.

Then the demonstrations on recording archaeology explorations using the Google Tour Creator and Google Tour Builder were done. None of the participants were aware about these Google products, and they were very keen to learn these products.

Finally, I asked from them, whether they know about the Google Local Guides Program, the majority of them were not aware of the Google Local Guides Program. I explained the features and benefits they can get from the program while contributing to the Google Maps. I hope every one of them will join the Google Local Guides Program and start contributing to the Google Maps. They will mainly focus on recording archaeological sites in Sri Lanka. Finally, I showed them the Google Local Guides “Local Heros” video, which features a recording of archaeological sites in Sri Lanka to encourage them to record archaeological sites in Sri Lanka and contribute to the Google Maps. If you have not seen it, have a look.

It was a successful workshop, where I enjoyed sharing my knowledge. All the participants were delighted about what they learned. Please see the following Google Photos album and recap video to learn more about this workshop and feedback from the participants.

Google Photo Album of the Workshop

By the way, this is my first post after the introduction of the new Connect. Now, it looks very nice.

Royal Asiatic Society, Kollupitiya - Sri Jayewardenepura Road, Colombo, Sri Lanka
8 comments
Level 10

Re: [Recap] Workshop: Google Maps and other Google Tools for Archaeology Explorers

@ErmesT @KarenVChin  @PaulPavlinovich @BruceDM I can not share this post on Facebook.  When I try to access this post after logging out from the Connect, it is asking me to log in again. When I share this post on FB, it is not showing the post title and photo, it shows the following. 

error.jpg

Is this something new in the New Connect. Is there an option to publish this post for the public? 

Have I posted it on a wrong board? 

I feel like a stranger in the connect now. 🙂  It has evolved a lot. 

Connect Moderator

Re: [Recap] Workshop: Google Maps and other Google Tools for Archaeology Explorers

Hi @AnuradhaP, first of all congratulations for the beautiful post, that I need to read again with much more attention. I am living in a country where a lot of archeological areas still unknown, and the technology can be a huge help in here.

Now, back to you question: don't worry, you just need to be patient. There is a lot of work in the background, and several posts are temporary not publicly visible.

Please read: Please pardon our dust, written by @AriMar.

I know that you are aware of it. Just give a bit of time for the dust to move down

Ermes

Level 10

@ErmesT Thank you. I am not that active on the connect for last few months and I was not aware of this.  So many things have changed in the connect. 

Connect Moderator

Es un gran post el tuyo @AnuradhaP, inspirador en muchos aspectos. Y como el caso de @ErmesT, para ser leído nuevamente.

A medida que lo leía pensaba en como usar tu experiencia y repetirla en mi entorno, veré ese tema, gracias por compartir 

Saludos Farid

👇

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper right part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Connect Moderator

@AnuradhaP, you are truly an inspiration to all of us here in the Local Guides Community.  Thanks for sharing your recap.

I have a suggestion: Is it possible for you to turn on "translate" in your recap YouTube video to English subtitles so for us who don't understand Tamil we can read what is being said.

Cheers,

Karen

Level 10

Thank you,  @KarenVChin I will try to add the translation. The language is Sinhala, not Tamil. 

Level 9

Nice post very inspireable, thank you @AnuradhaP

Level 8

@AnuradhaP

Hermosa experiencia.

Excelente trabajo y presentacion . Ser local guides es un honor y orgullo.y lo ha demostrado.

Mis felicitaciones!

A proposito, el idioma Sinhala, esta en el traductor de Google con el nombre de Cingales.

Saludos cordiales.

LuaPL