AnitaAO's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[Recap] Map Your World, Benin City!

Map Your World, Benin City was a highly anticipated meetup for me. In fact I looked forward to it, partly because I have always passed the city in transit to other Nigerian States and also because I would have loved to meet other local guides in Edo state. Unfortunately, I was not opportune to meet any local guides in Edo state but I believe very soon we will have many Google Map enthusiasts in Edo state as many local guides in Lagos continue also want to explore the city. 

Because I didn't meet any LG at the meeting point, taking pictures was somehow difficult as questions and eyes were on me. I managed a smile and few pictures and headed to Aganebode town where I was able to take many pictures of government offices, businesses and the only ATM there. I enjoyed my trip however because every meetup not only connect me to the world but helps understand the reason why helping others find their way is very important.

@MortenSI , @DeniGu here is the recap.

More pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nvzC7xpAe7qKMqqj6

StarTimes office, AuchiStarTimes office, Auchi

Sacred Heart College, AganebodeSacred Heart College, Aganebode

UBA , AganebodeUBA , Aganebode

A-Beta
Edo, Nigeria
6 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: [Recap] Map Your World, Benin City!

Hi @AnitaAO,

Thanks for sharing your recap and thank you for tagging me!

I'm glad to see you had a great time, even though you ventured out on your own. I agree with you and have no doubt that other Local Guides will join soon, as long as you keep doing what you do. 

It looks like your managed to update Google Maps with som great new photos, and that will be very helpful for others in the future. 

What was your experience with Benin City's representation on Google Maps? Did you have a lot of missing information to add to the businesses? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator

Hi @AnitaAO

Thank you so much for the tag! I'm reading your post early in the morning, and it gives me a great positivity boost.

Just like @MortenSI, I'm always impressed with Local Guides who still have their meet-ups, despite being the only attendant. That just shows your dedication and passion towards the program and your community! 

Keep exploring and sharing your discoveries, and many will follow you in due time. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Hi @AnitaAO 

I can see you had great time in Edo state capital, Benin city. The city that hosted the first set of Europeans to have set foot in Africa. The year was 1515.

Is this your first time in Agnebode?

My last time there was 1999.

Kind regards

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 9

@MortenSI Yes, I had fun especially at Agenebode. Also, Yes, I took photos of several businesses in Edo State but my challenges have always been adding them to the map. Sometimes Google map don't get to approve our addition and possibly because the roads are not well mapped like we have in Lagos State, sometimes there are no network in some of the towns to add the businesses on the go.

@DeniGu you are such a huge support on connect. Thank you for encouraging meetups of LGs. 

@Sagir #smiles, well this is my second time in Agenebode, the first was in 2016 but not as a local guide. It was one of those times I will always remember because I pontooned across the River Niger from Agenebode to Iddah, it was the first time I moved my car over a River from one town to the other. The same River that connects Onitsha, Agenebode, Iddah etc. I enjoyed every bits of it.

Here is an incomplete album of my 2016 visit: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UPBLhhdaJnLNgRmw6

A-Beta
Former Google Contributor

I see how it can be a challenge especially if the network coverage is not working. 

With all that missing information, it's great we have such dedicated Local Guides like yourself @AnitaAO. Thank you once again!

Google Moderator

It's always such a pleasure to follow the activities of socially engaged Local Guides like yourself, @AnitaAO

Thank you for the kind words!