Jesi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

[Recap] Fotografía del Jardín Japonés

Hello everyone!

Last Saturday's morning we had a photowalk in the Japanese Garden of Buenos Aires. We wanted to organize a meet up that day because @FaridTDF was in the city, he wanted to do a photowalk and we chose the Japanese Garden as, besides it being a great place to take beautiful photos, that Saturday was one of the 3 days per month that the entrance is free for Argentines and Argentine residents.

Without counting me as I created it, 5 of the 9 people who signed up attended: Farid, @ValeriaA_, @santiagoirale, Norma and Daniel. The last two aren't members of Connect, as far as I know.
Farid's son, Maximiliano, also joined us and Norma came with her family, that spent some time with us too.

Caption: A photo of us posing with our "Buenos Aires Local Guides" sign. From left to right: Farid, Santiago, me, Daniel and Norma. Maximiliano took the photo.Caption: A photo of us posing with our "Buenos Aires Local Guides" sign. From left to right: Farid, Santiago, me, Daniel and Norma. Maximiliano took the photo.The Japanese Garden of Buenos Aires was founded 51 years ago, it was donated by the Embassy of Japan to the Municipality of Buenos Aires to show their gratitude to Argentina for accepting Japanese immigrants with open arms. It's one of the largest gardens of the type, outside Japan.
It regularly hosts events like Manga and Kendo-Dō Workshops, Haiki contests, Taiko shows and more.
The garden is full of flora typical of Japan, like Cherry Blossoms, and many trees of South America and some other places. It has a lake too, with many Koi fish. It also has it's own restaurant, a gift shop, a plant nursery, a reading room, a tea house and an event room.

We met at 10 am in the entrance called Hokkaido, waited some minutes, and decided to start as some else came they could easily join us.

Caption: A sign in front of the main entrance, describing the forbidden activities. It also mentions that the garden is accesible, among other things it.Caption: A sign in front of the main entrance, describing the forbidden activities. It also mentions that the garden is accesible, among other things it.As the sign reads, the garden is accesible. There are some brigdes that aren't, but I believe that all of the areas can be accessed in some way by everyone.

Caption: A photo of a map of the garden that was near the entrance.Caption: A photo of a map of the garden that was near the entrance.As soon as we entered we quickly started taking photos. We took photos all through the Flat Bridge, the Sakura (Cherry Blossom) path, the Chasitsu tea house, the Food Court and Memorial to Japanese Immigrants Efforts. We also saw two cats and took some photos of them ?

Caption: Two photos taken in the Flat Bridge. The one at the top is of Santiago and Valeria, while the one at the bottom is of Daniel and me. Both were taken by Farid.Caption: Two photos taken in the Flat Bridge. The one at the top is of Santiago and Valeria, while the one at the bottom is of Daniel and me. Both were taken by Farid.Caption: Walking through the Sakura path while Farid took a photo of a bush of flowers.Caption: Walking through the Sakura path while Farid took a photo of a bush of flowers.Caption: A water fountain in the Sakura path, with the lake in the background.Caption: A water fountain in the Sakura path, with the lake in the background.Caption: A photo of the lake on the top, and a photo of Koi fish in the pond near the tea house. The bottom one was taken by Farid.Caption: A photo of the lake on the top, and a photo of Koi fish in the pond near the tea house. The bottom one was taken by Farid.Caption: On the top, a photo of a water fountain near the tea house. On the bottom if a photo of the inside of the tea house, that has small cushions and not much else.Caption: On the top, a photo of a water fountain near the tea house. On the bottom if a photo of the inside of the tea house, that has small cushions and not much else.Caption: Photos of the two cats we encountered, both sitting down.Caption: Photos of the two cats we encountered, both sitting down.

As we were going to the restaurant we met Norma and her family, who had arrived a bit after we started the photowalk. As we were talking, a tour guide told us there was going to be a guided tour about to start, so we decided to go to the tour instead of the restaurant, and went back to the Hokkaido entrance, where it started.

Of course, we continued taking photos on our way there:Caption: On the top, a photo of Farid, and on the bottom a photo of Norma. Both were taking photos.Caption: On the top, a photo of Farid, and on the bottom a photo of Norma. Both were taking photos.

Caption: On the left top corner, a photo of a small waterfall. On the top right, a photo of two ducks, taken by Valeria. On the bottom left, a photo of Ema (wishes written in notes, to be burned later in a ceremony). On the bottom right, a photo of the lake and flora from Japan.Caption: On the left top corner, a photo of a small waterfall. On the top right, a photo of two ducks, taken by Valeria. On the bottom left, a photo of Ema (wishes written in notes, to be burned later in a ceremony). On the bottom right, a photo of the lake and flora from Japan.

On the tour, that lasted around 40 minutes, we learned plenty of things about the garden, Japan and it's culture and traditions. Here are some things that the guide explained:

• The tea house of the garden is the only public tea house in Buenos Aires, and doesn't have a single screw. It was imported by pieces, and then set up there.
  • Many trees in the garden were there before it was founded, including a canadian pine.
  • The Japanese Peace Bell on the garden is rung once a year, every International Peace Day. It was donated by the Japanese World Peace Bells Association, and is a copy of the one in New York City, which was donated by the Japanese to the United Nations.
  • You are supposed to wash your hands, in an specific order, and drink some water from the water fountain (called Chozuya) that's near the tea house before entering to purify yourself. This is also done before entering temples.
  • The tea house, the garden near it and the whole ambient of the tea ceremony should represent harmony, respect, purity and tranquility.
  • Sakuras, called cherry blossoms in English, aren't Japan's national flower despite most people think it is. In fact, Japan doesn't have a national flower.
  • Cherry blossoms symbolize how beautiful, yet short, life is, among other things. They are widely celebrated in all forms of art like poetry, literature, or paintings. It's a very old tradition to watch them flower, it's called Hanami. As spiritual as it is, a lot of people just celebrate by sitting on the parks and drinking.
  • The traditional Japanese gate, called Torii, is meant to represent a gateway to the sacred world, when you cross it your enter this world and purify yourself.

Throughout the meet up, Daniel also gave us more information about these traditions and Japan as he studied Japanese in Tokyo for 6 months some years ago.

Unfortunately, when the tour finished Norma had to leave us.. but the rest of us stayed, and went back to the Food Court to have lunch.

Caption: On the top, a photo of sushi and a cold Matcha tea, taken by Valeria. On the bottom, a photo of Nikuman (a steamed dumpling) with pork inside.Caption: On the top, a photo of sushi and a cold Matcha tea, taken by Valeria. On the bottom, a photo of Nikuman (a steamed dumpling) with pork inside.
After our lunch, we entered the main building, that has a small library, and exposition room and a balcony with has great views of the garden. To visit the exposition and the balcony you can use the stairs or an accesible elevator.
Caption: A photo of the stairs, on the wall there's a map of Japan and some photos that show it's history. Farid is also in the left of the photo :)Caption: A photo of the stairs, on the wall there's a map of Japan and some photos that show it's history. Farid is also in the left of the photo ?
We first visited the exposition room, it usually showcases traditional and modern japanese products, but this time Ikebana (the Japanese art of flower arrangement) was being showcased.
Caption: Photos of some Ikebanas that were being showcased.Caption: Photos of some Ikebanas that were being showcased.After taking some photos there, we went to the balcony, took some more photos and talked a bit, enjoying the view.
Caption: A photo taken from the balcony,  where the Zigzig bridge, the Torii commemorating the 50 years of the park and the arched bridge can be seen.Caption: A photo taken from the balcony, where the Zigzig bridge, the Torii commemorating the 50 years of the park and the arched bridge can be seen.Caption: Some photos we took from the balcony.  On the top photo, most of the view can be seen. On the bottom left photo, mostly the Zigzag bridge can be seen, and on the bottom right there´s a photo of some trees and a small stream, taken by Farid.Caption: Some photos we took from the balcony. On the top photo, most of the view can be seen. On the bottom left photo, mostly the Zigzag bridge can be seen, and on the bottom right there´s a photo of some trees and a small stream, taken by Farid.

When we left the building we went to some areas of the garden that were still uncovered by us, like most parts of the islands of the lake, a bridge, and the gift shop.
Caption: photo of the Torii that commemorates the 50 years of the garden, the zigzag bridge next to it, and the main building on the background.Caption: photo of the Torii that commemorates the 50 years of the garden, the zigzag bridge next to it, and the main building on the background.Caption: On the top, a photo of some rocks set uo in the grass to read "Japanese Garden Buenos Aires" and the date. On the bottom left, the path of Azaleas. On the bottom right, a pergola.Caption: On the top, a photo of some rocks set uo in the grass to read "Japanese Garden Buenos Aires" and the date. On the bottom left, the path of Azaleas. On the bottom right, a pergola.In the gift shop they sell traditional products such as Daruma dolls, japanese sweets, stickers, and more.

Darumas are dolls that despict bearded man, they are a symbol of good luck and perseverance. When purchased, both of the Daruma's eyes are white, then the person who uses it selects a goal or wish and paint in one of the figure's two eyes. Once the goal is achieved, the second eye is filled in. 

At the end of the year, all the Daruma are brought back to place they were purchased from for a traditional burning ceremony. I've bought one on my previous visit to the park and filled in one eye, selecting the goal of graduating from university, so in a few years I will come back to the annual burning ceremony the garden hosts!

Caption: A photo taken in the inside of the gift shop with a big Daruma.Caption: A photo taken in the inside of the gift shop with a big Daruma.

Despite it was raining a bit some times, it was a nice photowalk. It lasted 3 hours, yet we all agreed it didn't feel like that much time had passed. It's true that time flies when you're having fun ?

You can click here to see our shared album of the photowalk.

Here's a video with more videos and photos we took, that show more of what we did on the meet up:

The music from the video is called Cherry Blossoms, and was made by Derek Fiechter.

Thank you for reading!

Jardín Japonés, Avenida Casares, Buenos Aires, Argentina
28 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [Recap] Fotografía del Jardín Japonés

@Jesi

again a fantastic post from Buenos Aires!

Are you Local Guides officals to promote the country? 😉

Really, I soon have no choice and MUST go there...!!!!

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

@JavieraAu ya está el recap del meet up en el jardín japonés! Hay más fotos en el video y en el albúm compartido que está en el link, ambos están al final de la publicación. Perdón por escribirlo en inglés, pero no estoy segura de que tan bien se traduce el español rioplatense a otros lenguajes..

@Ivi_Ge The recap of the meet up in the japanese garden is here! There are more photos in the video and in the shared album, whose link is in the post. Both are found at the end of the post.

Connect Moderator

Just a moment!!

Why @ErmesT is already in the photo book???

Is there a perversion for super heros on Connect??? 

I hope he already sleeps to be prepared for the long trip tomorrow to the European Meet Up in Kraków...

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

That's great @Jesi

As I already told you, I was waiting for this recap to appear.

I love the photos, and I love to see so many active Local Guides all together, and two Connect Moderators too. Looks like a pre Connect Live event.

I am not a superhero, @TorM, I have seen some photo in preview on Instagram, so I have asked to see the full album. I am just preparing for living tomorrow, as in Krakow we have two CM too, see you for dinner, Torben

Connect Moderator

@TorM, thank you so much! hahah yes, we all secretly work in the Tourism Ministry 😉

Germans do make a lot of great posts too, with beautiful photos... it's suspicious.. it wouldn't be a surprise if you were working with the German National Tourist Board.

In all seriousness, you're more than welcome here! Just say when and we will organize meet ups for your stay 🙂

Connect Moderator

Thank you, @ErmesT!

@TorM I hope all of you have a great time in Krakow! It seems like it should be really fun, it would be amazing to do something like that in South America someday, but it wouldn't be so easy..

Connect Moderator

hi @Jesi! It's wonderful story! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 9

Great meet-up thanks @Jesi

For sharing this with us I enjoyed reading your post.

Cheers

Saudi local guide 🇸🇦

Google Moderator

Hey @Jesi, amazing photos and thank you so much for sharing with us your great experience. I really love Japan and Japanese culture, and for me was very interesting to read your recap. Thank you again. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!