PriyankaU's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Recap : Empowered women of Vapi

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be"

In this meet I decided to meet 3 women and map/list a few business run by women.Janki Mondal ( She was not comfortable in showing her face as we are a victim shaming society.)Janki Mondal ( She was not comfortable in showing her face as we are a victim shaming society.)

1. Janki was married off at a young age to a much older man in Rajasthan, who was alcoholic and use to beat her. He sold her to a human trafficking network in Punjab as he wanted money to buy alcohol. Janki, all of 18 was stuck in nexus for 4 years, living under inhuman condition. But she never gave up on life, after many failed attempts she managed to flee with her two daughters who where born during these years. She has worked as a construction labourer for 10 years and then as a housemaid for 9 years. Luckily she went to school till class 3, and because of that she landed a job in a good organisation and now she earns around 10000₹ (around 150$) and is leading a good life. Her daughters go to school now. Just imagine how different her life would have been if she was provided education, or not married off at a young age. She is now leading a safe and good life all because of her fighting spirit and determination to make her life better. Everybody in her life failed her but she saved herself.

Urmila Patkar at her shopUrmila Patkar at her shop

2. Urmila Patkar does 3 jobs a day to run her household single handedly. She works as a typist at an advocate's place till noon and then she imparts her stitching and beautician skills to other women at a very low fees. And also runs her own beauty parlour. She managed to study till class 8 but her parents made sure that she learns some skills. Without any support she is running her business and also teaching it to other women. I have added her business on maps.

Sneha Thakur posing for a photo.Sneha Thakur posing for a photo.

3. Sneha got all the support and facilities in her life. She is working as a senior executive at a firm and is planning to start her own business. But she is being pressurised to get married by her family. Still struggling through all this she is determined to start her business.

I met these women with different level of education and struggles. Imagine the lives of Janki and Urmila had they got the facilities which Sneha got. Still both of them shined in their lives.

Lastly as a society we have failed our women in providing them education, safety, and most importantly their dignity. Despite this they are shining and fighting with life's struggles alone. Had they got any support their life would have been different. All these women have done wonders without any support, just imagine their lives have they been treated equally with all the facilities and support.

The aim of these meet ups across India - In India we see women mostly in the role of a housewife (which in itself is a daunting task.) These meet ups which are going to happen across India aim to just create awareness that women are running businesses, working and managing everything beautifully. It is just to add the recall factor in the minds of the people, so that it gets ingrained in their minds that women are equally capable and hardworking.
2. To acknowledge the hardwork of these women that they are an inspiration and doing good.

A big thank you to Brittany for being soo supportive. @SalmaanN  @AmbrishVarshney @FazeelUsmani @rajuroyal @Shrut19 you guys have my heart. Thank you soo much and best of luck for your meet ups.

And yes we added a few business run by women on Google maps. The entire experience of this meet up was humbling and we salute the spirit of these women. And we are glad that we could meet them.

P.S - This meet up was attended by @RonitBadal thank you soo much for being a part of this and for being soo helpful, I made a new friend ?

Photo Album - Click here (Please add the photos other empowered women meet ups here.)

Special thanks to Tejal Pandey.

List of businesses added/reviewed on maps

1. Meena's South Indian food stall

2. Aaina Beauty Salon

3. EPSI visa consultancy by Bhavana Jain

4. Kiran' Rakheshwar Krupa saree centre

5. Vrunda Girls hostel

6. Baker's love by Ankita (She got 5 orders via Google Maps)

7. Shree Sai Ram pav bhaaji

8. Shehnaz beauty parlour

9. Monica Patel's Kidzee

10. Tamana beauty parlour

11. Ceragem wellness centre

12. Shivani Jyoti Laundry Service

13. Kamlaben's Ice Cream Shop

14. Hema's Anushka Beauty Parlour

15. Shruti's Beauty Salon

16. Bhakti beauty parlour by Manisha

17. Neev public school run by Pravati Mohapatra

18. Ashapura General Store

19. Urmila Patkar's beauty parlour

20. Dancy's house of chocolate n more

21. Pinku Beauty Parlour & Shringar

Others businesses added are yet to be approved. I'll update as they get approved. 

GIDC Garden, Vapi - Koparli Road, Housing Sector, GIDC, Chharwada, Gujarat, India
48 comments
Level 8

Re: Recap : Empowered women of Vapi

Hello @PriyankaU

I do love this post, thanks for sharing!

Former Google Contributor

Another great post from you @PriyankaU!

Thank you so much for sharing, it was very inspirational to read. 

All these women are doing great despite the different hurdles they had to overcome. It's great that you put them on the map and shine some light on the great things they do.  

I love to see how far you have already come with this movement, and I can't wait to see more.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

@MortenSI Thanks to you for supporting it initially. Thank you soo much 😇😇😇

@rajuroyal Thank you soo much 🙂

I'm happy supporting such a great cause @PriyankaU

It is a pleasure to follow these recaps from you and others in India.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

most welcome @PriyankaU,looking forward for more meetups like this😊.

Hi @PriyankaU! I loved reading your meet-up recap! It would be great if you could add links to the businesses these women run on the map (once any map edits are approved). That way, we can all learn more about them. We are following this meet-up campaign very closely to learn more about how our community of Local Guides is supporting empowered women all over the world 😊

Level 9

Wao @PriyankaU,

What an amazing recap. It looks like I missed this meet-up but it was far away from me 😂. Would love to join any meet-up in future in North India at any time. BTW nice to see you at connect live Delhi. Here is a recap post for you. 

(Recap) Connect Live Delhi -2018

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 9

Hi @brittym, I have added a few links to the businesses run by women. Thanks again 😇😇

Level 9

Hi @deepakjhic, Thank you soo much, I was a pleasure meeting. There is a meet up on the same theme in Delhi by @AmbrishVarshney you can attend it.