AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[Recap] Do a solo photo walk once in a while to get a different experience...

I have not hosted a meetup for a few months, and today morning I thought I should do a solo photo walk to update the Google Maps. I started the photo walk around 10 in the morning and finished it at around 2 pm. Do you believe, the temperature was around 37 Celsius, and it was really hot

When I walked through the streets of my hometown, I realized lots of changes had taken place in the last few months. In a tropical country, we may not notice the seasonal variations, but today I saw one of the most famous places in my hometown, the Kalutara Bodiya (a sacred tree) has changed due to seasonal changes (most of the leaves were fallen). I have seen it before but only today it came to my mind that I should upload photos of this change to the Google Maps. 

One good thing when you are doing a solo photo walk is that you can explain to people what you do and how they can contribute to the Google Maps. If you are with a group, you may have to walk with them rather than explain to the people,  

Here are some 360 and other photos I took during the photo walk. I enjoyed it, and I encourage everyone to do a solo photo walk once in a while, which will give you a completely different experience. 

Kalutara, Sri Lanka
5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [Recap] Do a solo photo walk once in a while to get a different experience...

Lovely! What a wonderful way to update maps! I probably will follow your idea too.

As for the sacred tree, so you have any old photo of the tree so that we could compare the difference between then and now? The climate changing is creating a lot of affects in several fields. We need to save the trees for our own interests. 

Connect Moderator

Re: [Recap] Do a solo photo walk once in a while to get a different experience...

I definitely agree with you, @AnuradhaP.

Taking time for a "solo walk" is a beautiful way for improving Google Maps.

I did it myself a week ago. A had to go in a small hospital for a reservation. I knew the area, but I wasn't passing in there for a long time. So I was surprised about the changes. I took a few minutes for updating the pictures of the hospital, then I decided to walk. I added a new place, and edited four other business.

The most interesting was a bar, where the owner was very suspicious at first. I explained to them what we, Local Guides, are doing for the local business. Then, I explained how to register the activity in My business. It was an interesting morning

Level 7

Thank you for showing this to us, @AnuradhaP
Had been there some years ago - for sure I have a picture of the sacred tree - , quite interesting to see what has changed.

Level 8

i used to do solo map editing / photo walks. sometimes solo walks helps us to discover uncommon places n hidden spots n all.

Level 7

Really beautiful@AnuradhaP, thanks.

Wish you all the best.