EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Recap: Accessible San Jose

Screenshot_20191116-122540.jpg

Caption: A photo showing Local Guides listen to Emeka as he explained the objectives of the meetup [Photo by Penny Christie]

Connect Live party was so exciting that we almost felt a meet-up was a task. It's interesting we had a huge number of attendees join the walk on Friday 15th November 2019.

At about 7.00 am, some interested Local Guides began to send messages to confirm their interest and time for our meet-up. Tessa was out early as we had breakfast in the lounge. At about 7: 40 am more LGs appeared at the hotel lobby  while we began the actual walk at exactly 8:0am after a brief introduction to what an accessibility meet-up entailed.

We walked from Marriott which is on South Market Street to Park Avenue connected Almaden Boulevard through San Carlos Street then back to South Market Street.

Along the way, we observed zebra crossings had pedestrian buttons and beeps. Several points had clear accessibility sign for dedicated parking. Most buildings had ramps and the walkways were large enough to take four wheelchairs side-by-side with tactile pavements at strategic spots. Personally, I saw a tactile paving for the first time in real life but was able to recognize it. 

Screenshot_20191122-223819.jpg

Caption: Local Guides looking at a tactile paving in San Jose. 

Screenshot_20191116-123025.jpg

Caption: Local Guides assessing the restroom at the tram station 

Luckily, we encountered a public restroom close to the Convention Center tram station on San Carlos St. It had accessibility features, like Braille, signs with large fonts and indicator for users. The toilet had handrails and a lower WC for wheelchair users.

Our last port of call was the Hilton hotel which had elaborate accessibility signs, directions, ramps and dedicated parking lot. Attendees were able to see clearly how a wheelchair user can peruse a parking space with a connection to a ramp into a building.  Questions and answers were taken by the one Accessibility team.

IMG_20191116_123612_860.jpg

Caption: Local Guides pose for a snap beside a dedicated parking lot in San Jose. 

The highlight of the walk was when Thushy came up with an ice breaker. He asked attendees who have taken up to 10 photos to indicate. @CaroGuiniazu won a Bangladesh Local Guides shirt courtesy of@IlankovanT . We took group photos courtesy of @gandrabur_chik 's +1 who joined the meetup. He had the pleasure of taking several snaps courtesy of several phones.

Attendees returned to the hotel at about 8:40 am to join the closing brunch.

Take a look at the  photo album and let us know what you think.

Our appreciation goes to all the attendees including

@OSAMA  @anu7spice @TheRealKristin @AlexandreCampbell @JanVanHaver 

@AlejandraMaria @JustineE 

N.B: If you are concerned about accessibility  or wish to host your first meet-up, here's an opportunity to host one in your city. Participate in the Worldwide Accessibility Walk 2019

Feel free to contact me for assistance in order to host a successful meetup.

San Jose, CA, USA
29 comments
Connect Moderator

Betreff: Recap: Accessible San Jose

Thanks @EmekaUlor for this detailed recap. This meet up was very informative and you have passed on a lot of good experiences and examples. In the end, it opened my eyes to take a closer look myself when I am on the road.

Please mention me with @LudwigGermany on your reply, so I get notified

Connect Moderator   Maps   Instagram   Twitter 

Level 9

Re: Recap: Accessible San Jose

@EmekaUlor  thanks for your accessibility meet-up, this is my first experience of such a meet-up. After it, I realized how difficult the situation is with accessibility in Ukraine and how it is treated in USA.

Former Google Contributor

Great recap @EmekaUlor, thanks for sharing!

Congrats for the successful meet-up, and I'm glad to see these happy faces :).

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 9

Good to see your successful accessibility meet up in SAN JOSE @EmekaUlor with local guide champions from various corner of the world. Thanks for sharing with us.

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Level 9

This Is  a nice Experience.... A multinational meet up. This is meet up of a kind. @EmekaUlor , you always inspire me. Congratulations to you.

Level 10

@EmekaUlor thank you for this recap! It was a great idea to plan this walk because, I already told you, often we can't see things except with our eyes. As local guides we should always try to see the world even with different eyes to make sure that our reviews and the material we publish help more and more people, each with their own situation.

Connect Moderator

Hi @EmekaUlor,

thank you very much for sharing this beautiful recap, many times we miss all those information which are very important. Thanks a lot for all and very very nice meeting you at CL19.

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Connect Moderator

@EmekaUlor A best meet up by CL19 attendee. 

I miss you all. Hope one day i will join 

Happy Guiding!

Connect Moderator

I couldn't add all the 25 attendees because only 10 tags are allowed in a post. So, thanks to everyone, as I get to know their Connect name, I'll tag them here.

@SoniaK @PennyChristie @ChinonsoOnukwugha @Jesi  @Mayford 

Thank you for your kind words @LuigiZ  @MrBest @ShafiulB 

@Kamalhasnainee