KashifMisidia's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

[Recap] Accessibility Walk : Let's Help Thousands In Karachi

images-1.jpg

Hello local guides, as I m now a part of campaigns from this great forum of local guides connect, I tried to do a accessibility walk around my area.

Before I start, I would like to share a short story about myself, from which I learn the significance of accessibility.

Few years back, my father fell severely ill before he passed away. During his last year, He was unable to move without wheel chair. Whenever he used to crave the appetizing meals, the only option to fulfill that craving was to bring takeaways for him. However, he used to dislike and lose the interest in the meals, as his taste buds could not be satisfied as it should've been because it didn't satisfy the freshness and hotness it had while trying in restaurant and being served traditional pakistani food "hot naans" with fingerlicking "chicken karhais". The whole reason for inconvenience suffered by him was his immobility and unaccessiblity of wheelchairs in his all-time favorite restaurants.

From that day, I realised that if somebody is , unfortunately, weak enough to stand, has to suffer and miss the fun by being unable to go to restaurant and only to casual parks and hospitals in my city, (where even only few has the option of accessibility).

But thanks to Google local guides connect, who gave me the chance to type my heart out about this sensitive issue of accessibility because I've experienced the issue and I know the importance of seeing the person being devastated because of the disability.

Still there is no construction of wheel chair accessible rampStill there is no construction of wheel chair accessible ramp

About my walk :
This walk was actually about Map editing walk, but along with map editing, as I wanted to contribute more, by identifying the places which had the option of wheel chair ramp availability. However, as my duty, I volunteered by telling them about how can they help the others, who are most in need of help due to their inability.

To accompany me, I also invited some fellow guides through Host a meetup option, so that we could go and search the accessible places. However, due to change of plans, nobody turned up and I did it alone. Nevertheless, it resulted in experiencing and learning more.

The credits goes to @IlankovanT @ErmesT and @EmekaUlor, who changed my perspective and influenced me to observe the surrounding more. This also resulted in me, looking here and there to first find and feel relieved after seeing the accessibility options.

Map Editing walk :
In this walk I was astounded that most
places did not even exist on Google maps, so I added them. It was around eighteen different shops/places which I newly added into the region of Federal B Area.

Wheelchair accessible washroom, but just in a hospital .Wheelchair accessible washroom, but just in a hospital .

Accessibility walk :
This was the second but most important part of my whole walk,
In this walk, I experienced happiness but my heart broke when I found out, that there are not many businesses and restaurants who care about the importance of wheel chair accessiblity in my area. Thus, it depends on the facilities we provide that allows the disabled people to move freely and unassisted in our community.
So the children, persons with broken legs, parents with prams, elderly persons, patients do not have to go through the pain and suffering because of their weakness.

Find wheelchair accessible ramp at Ice Cream Parlour.Find wheelchair accessible ramp at Ice Cream Parlour.

So being a humanitarian first and then a Local Guide, my job is to always look and ensure that accessibility information are added to Google Maps in order to make it usable by for all people.

For more pictures Please check that Photo Album  .

Thank you

Kashif 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Karachi, Pakistan
26 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [Recap] Accessibility Walk : Let's Help Thousands In Karachi

Congratulations @KashifMisidia

Well done. Even in a solo meet-up. Accessibility is an important subject, and highlighting the non accessible places is sometimes much more important than identify accessible places.

Thank you for sharing your experience, related to your father story. My mother is a disable too, so I know very well how, living with a disable, we have a different view of what accessibility means.

I didn't had time for a meet-up, but I was taking photos of accessibility in the last months, so I will write my own post too

Connect Moderator

Thank you @ErmesT for your comments, yes still I can remember the sadness of my father's face when he couldn't visit the places where he want to go, just because there was no accessible way for wheelchair. 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Connect Moderator

Marvelous !

@KashifMisidia you are a hero. Your dad's story is touching and reminds me of my friend John.

Something sparks action and it's delightful to know that your dad has inspired this great initiative. You went ahead even when no one showed up. That's the character of champs! 

I know the joy you felt when you saw trails and accessibility signs. You just scream  "finally" in your mind. 

Your video practical showed challenges wheelchair users face where there are no ramps. Kudos.

Let's guide more

Xoxo

Emeka 

Connect Moderator

Thank you so much @EmekaUlor ,

Yes the person or family who suffers from that problem, only they knows about the real pain of it.

Please keep guide and motivate me.

Thank you again.

Level 9

This is such as amazing recap @KashifMisidia.  It's so touching to see you inspired by a personal experience of a family member. Thanks a lot for raising your voice for all those who are in the real need of accessibility. Love for our community is something that rises from the bottoms of our heart where we are part of. I am proud to be your friend.

Level 10

I highly appreciate guides to address this issue, including @KashifMisidia

You are an experienced family member, so you understand the true meaning of accessibility. It is intuition given only to sad experience.

I experienced society 's insufficient accessibility as a person with a disability when I was recuperating accidents in the past.
To say extreme, I even thought that healthy people were installed only for satisfaction.
I would like you to continue with such a viewpoint.

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 9

@KashifMisidia you are true local guides hero from Karachi.

Level 8

Hi @KashifMisidia I'm sorry about your father but at least you found a way to turn this experience into something very positive. Great initiative

Luciana Velasques Cervo
Brasil!| ospetsprecisamde! Blog
Level 8

Such an amazing recap - so much effort u put. Proud of you. 
You are an inspiration for me to hold such meetups in my city