Chizbeth's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Recap Accessibility Abuja (WAW)

The Accessibility Abuja meet up was the Abuja participation in the Worldwide Accessibility Walk (WAW) anchored by @EmekaUlor  and @TraciC to commemorate the annual International Day of Persons with Disability.  The story shared by Emeka  at the Connect Live Abuja resonated with me as a friend of mine had recently visited the Ministry of Education at the Federal Secretariat in Abuja and been in pain the entire night due to accessibility challenges she faced getting around the ministry because the day she visited the elevators were not working and she had to get documents processed on the 7th or 8th floor of the building.

The Accessibility Abuja meetup was scheduled for Tuesday, December 4, 2018, between 12:30 and 15:00 because the Federal Secretariat are government premises which are closed on weekends and because who doesn’t love an exciting lunch break away from the office?

A view of the  landscape on the right-side of the Federal Secretariat Abuja with the Ministry of Youth and Sport Building to the right and Aso Rock in the background straight aheadA view of the landscape on the right-side of the Federal Secretariat Abuja with the Ministry of Youth and Sport Building to the right and Aso Rock in the background straight ahead

Most of the local guides in attendance were meeting each other for the first time which was very good for interactions. We had lunch at the Food court at the Federal Secretariat car park while we introduced ourselves, shared our experiences as local guides and tips for contributing to the map. 

Local Guides standing in front of the Eagles Square Food court checking information on the mapLocal Guides standing in front of the Eagles Square Food court checking information on the map

3 Local Guides chatting as they wait for others to arrive3 Local Guides chatting as they wait for others to arrive

I shared my motivation for organizing the Abuja Accessibility meet up, the list of agencies/businesses in the Federal Secretariat and pointed out what should be looked out for in terms of the accessibility of the places we would be visiting.  The lack of accessibility consciousness at the meetup area was immediately apparent from the chunky stairs we had to climb to get to the food courts.

A picture of the front of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which shows raised slaps on the sidewalks and boulevardA picture of the front of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which shows raised slaps on the sidewalks and boulevard

A picture of the GT bank ATM  which has a ramp but adds a step to get to the main ATM hall and a partition to the ATM outsideA picture of the GT bank ATM which has a ramp but adds a step to get to the main ATM hall and a partition to the ATM outside

We set out from the food court on foot to cover the businesses and organizations in the nearby area.  We checked that the businesses we passed were present on the map, confirmed that the pins were in the right place, added pictures, edited information, suggested edits for wrong information and added missing places while checking for the presence of ramps, handrails and possible obstructions for the differently able.  Thankfully we had lovely weather for walking about under the sun! It was a bright and beautiful day without scorching heat!

A selfie with Local Guides  in front of Aso Savings so local guides that were arriving can  locate the groupA selfie with Local Guides in front of Aso Savings so local guides that were arriving can locate the group

We observed while walking by the Ministry of Foreign affairs and the Ministry of Youth and Sport that the government buildings all have raised slabs with no ramps! Wheelchair accessibility would only be possible with assistance or permission from the guards at the agencies to drive into the premises or bypass the pedestal entrances and use the gate as the entrance.  FYI – For security reasons most government agencies do not allow people to drive into their premises or park close to their premises! Finding a good parking space at the Federal Secretariat area would be an absolute hassle if not for the daily pay car park behind Eagle Square.

A picture of the Eagle Square Car Park ticketA picture of the Eagle Square Car Park ticketA picture of the entrance into the Eagle Square car park showing raised sidewalksA picture of the entrance into the Eagle Square car park showing raised sidewalks

We were able to speak to the attendant at the GT Bank ATM terminal at the carpark about accessibility challenges potential customers could face while visiting their ATM.  This was an amusing case of good intentions without proper execution as they provided a ramp but raised the entrance into the main ATM hall and partitioned off the ATM outside of the hall on the side with the ramp.

A selfie with me (Chinazom), Zainab and Nkenna (left to right)A selfie with me (Chinazom), Zainab and Nkenna (left to right)

A selfie of me (Chinazom), Nosa, Zainab, Nany and Seun (left to right)A selfie of me (Chinazom), Nosa, Zainab, Nany and Seun (left to right)

We got a lot of productive time in before people had to start heading back to work! I was able to round off with a visit to the Ministry of Education building to take pictures and gather information for a detailed review.  It is alarming that this building has up to 11 floors with just one or two functional elevators that are clearly not too reliable.

A picture showing the inside of the Federal Ministry of Education building with a sign showing the offices on the 7th floorA picture showing the inside of the Federal Ministry of Education building with a sign showing the offices on the 7th floor

The Accessibility Abuja meetup was very interactive and fun! I’m very thankful for the awesome people that showed up and helped make the meetup an interesting experience. Thank you @Zainabzy_ Nosa, Nany, Seun @NkennaA and also those that could not make it but sent their best wishes  @HelloSamsonR @U-royFelixA @Sagir @JonesParapaso

It is fantastic how being part of the Local Guide program has made me aware of an issue I would have been otherwise insensitive toward, so I hope to keep doing my part to share this awareness of the need for more inclusive spaces for the differently able! The opportunity to add much-needed accessibility information onto the map and interact with Abuja local guides was a very worthy cause to mark my first time hosting a meetup.  I had so much fun I can’t wait to host another meetup!

Live free and do good!
Abuja, Nigeria
6 comments
Level 10

Re: Recap Accessibility Abuja (WAW)

@Chizbeth Wow! This is most amazing and colorful. I can also see familiar faces  @Anonymous @JonesParapaso You guys rock. 😍

Level 10

Sad i couldn't make it. What  an amazing experience @Chizbeth and a very interesting read. Keep up the good work and efforts you are doing in making an impact in our community. Well done.

Connect Moderator

Great recap and lovely photos, @Chizbeth! I'm glad that the weather was perfect for your meet-up, and you all were able to get a lot done too! I agree with you - these experiences have definitely helped to open my eyes in regards to accessibility at places that I frequent and places I plan on going to going forward. 

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Connect Moderator

This is a nice summary with nice photographs too. Always loved the spaces in Abuja. Glad you could find some places with accessible trails. There's hope for an #AccessibleNigeria and an inclusive world @Chizbeth thanks for hosting, you deserve some accolades!
Connect Moderator

wow... I really missed. my meeting lasted longer than I expected.

congratulations @Chizbeth for a successful meet up.

kind regards

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Google Vendor

Thank you for sharing your recap with us @Chizbeth. I am so glad to hear that the Meet-up was productive and you enjoyed it. 

Keep up sharing and contributing!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!