KashifMisidia's post
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Connect Moderator

[Recap] Accessbile Karachi Meetup, A day with most brave people I ever meet

Hello local guides, here is the Recap of  Accessibile Karachi Meetup , and no doubt that was an unforgettable experience for me.
I would like to thanks @EmekaUlor who started the campaign and aware people about accessiblity issue very well, and I m happy that we are also part of { WAW } with many of great local guides including the Google Moderator Traci. And specially tons of thanks to my friends and mentors @IlankovanT  and @ErmesT who guide us so nicely, that we are trying to be helpful for our society all around the world.

The meetup was planned on 3rd December 2018,  at Dar ul Sukun  is the place which is the great shelter for the people with different disabilities, that place is run by Sister Ruth, who is really a mother of hundreds of motherless people.

Accessibile Karachi MeetupAccessibile Karachi Meetup

The main Reason of that meet up :
Here I meet some wonderful people,
Mr Arif, who is a wonderful never give up guy, with great thoughts to improve the facilities for the people who are using wheelchairs because of any disability like him.
Mr suleman and Mr Rauf are real brothers, they also discussed many issues which they face in daily routine when they go somewhere outside. And Mr Nadeem, who have visual disability, but the most confident guy I ever meet with the great sense of humor and anytime awaking sixth sense Everytime.

The main reason of the meetup was to hear the problems of the people by them selves who are seeing the problems very closely which we can just see from far away.

In that meetup we discussed lot of things,
Specially what they can get by Google maps.

They feel very happy when they saw the use of the features about accessiblity and mobility in Google maps. They were really desperate to learn how they can find Accessible places before thier visit to any place.

During discussion, Mr Nadeem have a question about the similar names of places, that for example Muqaddas mosque, if he wants to go that place, when he search by Google maps, there is many mosques with the similar name, so how can a person can figure out the right place who can't see or have visually disability, and if anyone haven't facility of voice guidance in phone or anybody don't know how to use, so is it possible that Google maps can add a feature of voice which can guide the place and address clearly?

For that question's answer, I need assistance of any of local guide or moderator , because I m also still in the process of learning, so if I can get answer here, I will give them satisfactory answer, which can help him to use Google maps more clearly, and if their any feature in Google maps which can avoid the similar name places issue for them.

Mr Arif, was really thankful to Google maps, when he know that in Google maps app always concern about accessiblity by the questions and answers, & by "More about this place" feature, & uploading pictures of ramps and Accessible entrance of the places by Local guides, because he was very much concern about unavailable wheelchair accessible ramps in our city in mostly places.

They appeal to officials and specially the engineers who approve maps of infrastructures of any apartment buildings, shopping malls, restaurants, public parks, public washrooms, public & tourist places, super markets, hospitals, clinics, shopping centers, that please don't give approval to that places which have not accessible entrance, accessible washrooms, and Accessible seatings . Because we are also the part of your society. And no body knows in old age who need to use wheelchair. So if they can do this now, may be it will be useful for them in thier future.

That appeal and statement was very tough but that is truth.

Personally I m really thankful to Google maps, who made me proud to be local guide because being a local guide , we can explain others about solutions of thier problems by Google maps .

IMG-20181204-WA0047.jpg

International Day of Persons With disabilities conference : 

After that meet up, I got the chance to talk about the problems of Accessibility in Karachi. There was a event orginised by Dar Ul Sukun on the international day of the persons with disabilities.
Here many people were invited including chief guest who is member of parliment of sindh province. I got chance for just some minutes to talk, and in some minutes I convey the message of the people whom I meet that day regarding approvals of maps of the places with accessiblity.

And I hope people specially officials will think about that matter seriously, and with local guides's Accessibility walks, Accessibility meetups, we can change the world one day, and that day will be very soon inshaAllah. And all the places will accessible for anyone without any problem or discrimination.

Thank you @naveedurrehman who was in contact but can't join us because of timing clashes.

And also @AIMAN_SAEED and @OmerAli Bhai, who was virtually join that meetup by phone call.

Photo album and video: 

Check the Photo Album  for some great pictures of the real inspiring people .

And πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡In that video clip, you can see our friends talk about the problems which they face , and in the last, don't miss the song by

Mr Arif & Mr Nadeem, a song

"kabhi alvida na kehna"

by great Kishore Kumar from an old Indian movie .

Shukriya πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Dar-ul-Sukun (Head Office), Kashmir Road, Karachi, Pakistan
23 comments
Level 10

Re: [Recap] Accessbile Karachi Meetup, A day with most brave people I ever meet

@KashifMisidia masallah . great job  you done brother 

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

@KashifMisidia this is quite impressive. You must have had a great time talking at the event. The questions from the participants are quite important. Google Maps has a voice assistant that helps users to navigate but I am not sure it has the capability of identifying ramps and accessible trails. Perhaps @AlexaAC could help?

Thank you for supporting inclusiveness!

Cheers

Connect Moderator

Thank you @EmekaUlor 

Yes I want to visit again there, but with the satisfactory answer for them. And me and they also know about the voice assistance by Google maps, but sometimes there is a confusion by the similar names of places. Specially here in karachi, u can find some specific places names in every area of the city.

Thank you 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Connect Moderator

@KashifMisidia I think for the confusing names, Local Guides should help to edit the correct names. This is the need for meetups. 

Level 9

Hello @KashifMisidia

All what I can say you're super

Great and will done

Cheers

Saudi local guide πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¦

Connect Moderator

Shukriya @MahabubMunna bhai πŸ™

Connect Moderator

Thank you my bro @راآي

Thank you for your kind words. 

Assalam walaikum 😊

Level 9
Level 9

Well done, you have done a impressive job. 

Former Google Contributor

@KashifMisidia, thanks so much for yet another job well done! Thank you also for sharing this recap!

@EmekaUlor, when using Google Assistant as a virtual assistant, Google Maps will prompt the wheelchair accessible entrance question. If you would like to see a particular accessibility function featured, please leave a detailed description of it, via Idea Exchange.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!