KarenVChin's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Reasons Why I Love Being a Google Local Guide

Hello, Hello Local Guides!

Caption: Walking towards the Golden Gate Bridge. Photo: @karenvchinCaption: Walking towards the Golden Gate Bridge. Photo: @KarenVChin

I’m @KarenVChin and a Level 8 San Francisco Bay Area Local Guide.

Since last June, I can also be found here on Local Guides Connect as the first female Connect Moderator.  

I’ve been extremely lucky to attend the first two Local Guides Summits in San Francisco.

LGSummit16

Local Guides from around the globe take on the LGSummit16 , Googleplex. Source: Google Local GuidesLocal Guides from around the globe take on the LGSummit16 , Googleplex. Source: Google Local GuidesLGSummit17 Local Guides popping up at Android Statue Park, Googleplex, LGSummit17. Photo: Karen V ChinLocal Guides popping up at Android Statue Park, Googleplex, LGSummit17. Photo: Karen V Chin

I am hoping to attend again for the third time!

My LGSummit17 backpackMy LGSummit17 backpack

Why am I a Local Guide?

My daily life via my Local Guides reviewsMy daily life via my Local Guides reviews

For the past three years using Google Maps, I enjoy helping my community know about great places and not so great places. I’ve contributed mainly by writing detailed reviews, answering questions, and uploading photos of places & businesses I go to in my daily life.

As a mommy of twins, I know, first hand, how important it is to have accurate, up-to-date information about whether a place or business is truly “kid friendly.”  

Always on the lookout for kids-specific activities in my communityAlways on the lookout for kids-specific activities in my community

I have shared some of my experiences here on Connect:

Being a Local Guide, lets me share my “mommy” experiences, knowledge, and photos via my reviews on Google Maps to others who are searching for this kind of information.

My current Local Guides stats: ~500 Reviews, ~255K Review Views, 30+MM Photo ViewsMy current Local Guides stats: ~500 Reviews, ~255K Review Views, 30+MM Photo ViewsWhy I love Local Guides Connect & being a Connect Moderator?

E7C2C705-18A9-45B7-8EA2-612F2F6E9275.jpeg

I love being a Local Guide, especially on Connect,  because I am constantly learning from our global online community  - cultures, foods, Holidays, countries, plants, etc.

I get great satisfaction knowing that I have helped or connected a Local Guide to other Local Guides. I like to help and encourage fellow Local Guides to share more and/or showcase their communities or favorite places here on Connect.

I see myself as a  Local Guides “cheerleader.”  I enjoy helping, coaching, and encouraging my fellow Local Guides (example: @Briggs) and Connect Moderators to be the best that they can be as Local Guides & write better, useful Connect posts.

I‘ve made great friendships here on Connect too:

Do you recognize all 20 Local Guides here in this Google SF kitchen?  Local Guides Summit 2017 Photo: KarenVChinDo you recognize all 20 Local Guides here in this Google SF kitchen? Local Guides Summit 2017 Photo: KarenVChin

Getting chosen to attend Connect Live 2018 would be AWESOME!!!

I would love to “Connect Live ” for the third time this October because I get to learn and share my ideas/ feedback to you, Google, and my fellow Local Guides. I want to discuss what are “kid-friendly’ places and businesses and what parents, like me, would like to see as “kid-friendly” items included as part a helpful Local Guides review.

And of course, seeing old friends . . .

Old friends: LGSUMMIT16 alumni at LGSUMMIT17 Welcome ReceptionOld friends: LGSUMMIT16 alumni at LGSUMMIT17 Welcome Reception . . . and making new ones.

New Friends from LGSummit17New Friends from LGSummit17

Plus, I get to be a “local” Local Guide to my fellow attendees.

Welcome to San Francisco!!Welcome to San Francisco!!

Provide my sightseeing and “Things-to-do in San Francisco” ideas.

@Ermest experiencing yummy SF Chinatown dim sum for lunch@ErmesT experiencing yummy SF Chinatown dim sum for lunch

Taking a group of LGSummit17 Local Guides for their 1st time San Francisco Cable Car ride. Photo: Karen V ChinTaking a group of LGSummit17 Local Guides for their 1st time San Francisco Cable Car ride. Photo: Karen V Chin

Answer questions.Found in Local Guides Connect’s Exclusive Access forumFound in Local Guides Connect’s Exclusive Access forumPlan meetups to showcase The City that I was born in.

Connect post: Sailing the San Francisco Bay Tour MeetupConnect post: Sailing the San Francisco Bay Tour Meetup

1st time sailing around the San Francisco Bay, LGSummit17. Photo: @karenvchin1st time sailing around the San Francisco Bay, LGSummit17. Photo: @KarenVChin

All here on Local Guides Connect.

Can’t wait to see you in October!

Photo Source: @HeyJoePhoto Source: @HeyJoe

Cheers! 

Karen

San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
116 comments
Level 8

Re: Reasons Why I Love Being a Google Local Guide

Hi Karen @KarenVChin

Very impressive 👏👏👏👏👏

I am beating @OSAMA again. 😂😂😂

I just submitted my application and I look forward to meet you again.

Wishing you and family all the best and good luck with Connect Live 2018 application.

Cheers 🥂

Level 9

Hey hey look who is the last menuterrrr ,  our great @KarenVChin

One of The best posts from one of the best members :-)))))

Very Proud of your friendship , from before being a Connect Moderator 🙂

And wish to meet you in san Francisco

When i applied the application one of the reasons why to attend the Connect live is ..... !???

😀😁😀😁😀

OMG @Badruddeen , you are very fast recently :-))

Its just 5 minutes hangout chatting to hurry the members who still not applied :-))))

Connect Moderator

Loved the post, @KarenVChin - you're definitely an influential part of our program on all accounts, especially in terms of providing your insight on kid-friemdly places. It  waz such a pleasure meeting you last year. Hope to see you again this year! 😊

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 8

@OSAMA wrote:

Hey hey look who is the last menuterrrr ,  our great @KarenVChin

One of The best posts from one of the best members :-)))))

Very Proud of your friendship , from before being a Connect Moderator 🙂

And wish to meet you in san Francisco

When i applied the application one of the reasons why to attend the Connect live is ..... !???

😀😁😀😁😀

OMG @Badruddeen , you are very fast recently :-))

Its just 5 minutes hangout chatting to hurry the members who still not applied :-))))

😂😂😂

Level 9

@KarenVChin, you are an incredible moderator and most importantly an awesome person, it was great to meet you later year and would love to meet you again this year( plan more adventures like sailing and visit to Google SF offices :))

Connect Moderator

Hey @KarenVChin

it seems you like to be one of the last person to submit.

I love this post, that I would like to see featured in the #LetsGuide series, for “kid friendly” places.

I will never forget your great attitude in guiding others, I want to remember that your post about "Being a Local Guide for another Local Guide" is part of a Long Series.

If you recall the series in your mind, you will see that the final response still missing.

"And the winner is...?"

And the winner is...KarenVChin, I can say now, for the great effort in Guiding Others during the pre-post summit activities in the #BestSummitEver.

Hope to be guided again by you, Karen, in discovering something more of your country, in the beautiful way that you use everyday, in guiding us in Connect

Ermes 

Level 8

Hello, @KarenVChin.  It was nice meeting you at the first summit.  We still have to hit up Sam Wo's!

Level 9

@KarenVChin This where you get considered a lot (not mentioned) as Local Guides host in Bay Area. I would be surprised if you haven’t applied. 

Good luck!! 

Level 10

Hi@KarenVChin 

Your posting is amazing! I really hope to see you this coming October.(^o^)