PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Read about where forums/boards have gone and how to use Topics

My Post (2).jpg

I am seeing loads of people asking how to post to a forum (or board) and asking to have their new posts moved from General Discussion to other forums.

The concept of forums/boards has been replaced by a dynamic view based on the primary Topic of a post. When you make your post you choose that topic from the list of available topics (see below) and that determines where the post is seen.TopicsTopics

There is no need to post into boards any longer. You can read about the descriptions of each topic in the post by Googler @AriMar at https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Help-Desk/What-are-Connect-topics/ba-p/1002735

Change is always challenging and this is recognised but please try to float along and don't be the mouse who cried "...where's my cheese?"

8 comments
Level 10

Re: Read about where forums/boards have gone and how to use Topics

@PaulPavlinovich thanks for your clarification.

What I think is missing is communication; beta testers like you had more than one month to make themselves ready for the change, and many of them are still confused.

So, please, be patient with all the other poor local guides like me, ask the team to send out an email with a full description of new LGC and how it works, and give us a place where we can send our feedback, as you had in the beta tester reserved board.

The main thing that doesn't work here is the magazine-like behaviour of posts in home page, and the lack of a filter that orders topic based on timestamp of LAST post.

Thanks, Lucio

Connect Moderator

Hi @LucioV there have been announcements posted by Googlers about the change. This post is to help people understand the change, you seem to think it is here to tell you off? It isn't and I'm confused why you'd think that.

You can give feedback at any time @LucioV on the announcement post or by posting into the HowTo topic with a question and people will be happy to answer your query.

You can find Recent posts now. Open the topic of interest and use the "Recent" Pill and you will see posts in reverse chronological order newest first.

RecentRecent

Level 10

thank q boss 🙂 @PaulPavlinovich

Mahabub Hasan
Level 10

@PaulPavlinovich, "pardon our dust" or "there is a new ui" it's not the same thing of sending an email explaining how the whole thing works.

Obviously this change is not "against" a single user, but it's a clear move to transform connect into a magazine more than a user generated content board.

All the slight changes made bring to this direction; it's so obvious that sounds strange you want to tell me something different 🙂

Again: "recent" filter works on first post of the thread timestamp.

In the old connect we had an order based on the timestamp of the LAST post of the thread, resulting some old threads popping out in the list; this was badly used by some user, but was a nice feature that automatically sorted out things about real "trend".

There is nothing to explain, this is an exact choice team made according with you, beta testers, it's not an issue or a lack of a function.

Thanks, Lucio

Connect Moderator

Thanks for the explanation @PaulPavlinovich however, I always get confused, where do I post a general topic as for example I suspect there's a problem with the Points System.  As I have no idea where it should go in the new Topics schema, I'm going to post it in the How-tos and will leave it to you to move it to where it needs to be however, I sure would like to know the answer to my question as I seem to often come up with it and I'm sure others do too.

Leaderboards:  * Points   * Photos   * Videos   * Countries   * Movers & Shakers
  Star Leaderboards:    * Photos    * Videos   * 360 Spheres
  Star Albums:   * Photos   * Videos   * 360 Spheres   * Stars Discussions
  Join in:      * How to Register    * Register   * Login   * Extensions
Connect Moderator

Hi @AdamGT How To is fine for a question like that. Generally when you think there is something wrong with points, you should wait a couple of weeks before asking about it because they usually sort themselves out in that time frame.

Connect Moderator

Thanks for your reply @PaulPavlinovich.  I've been watching this suspected points problem for several weeks 😉

Leaderboards:  * Points   * Photos   * Videos   * Countries   * Movers & Shakers
  Star Leaderboards:    * Photos    * Videos   * 360 Spheres
  Star Albums:   * Photos   * Videos   * 360 Spheres   * Stars Discussions
  Join in:      * How to Register    * Register   * Login   * Extensions
Connect Moderator

Can you explain your points problem @AdamGT ?

If you seem to be losing points it can be because Images or Reviews have been marked private. People with lots of near duplicate images seem to have been experiencing a points drop as they're cleaned up.