HelloJess's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Re: Read: Posting on “Let’s Meet-Up” Board

Great ideas. I am an indoor person and now since my kids are all big now I can venture out in the world. This allows me to meet with new people like I did on Friday. I connected with some wonderful Ladies we met at the KS south key Restaurant in Ottawa it was great

Level 10

Hello Joanna,

I recommend you talk with Sydney or me - we are the moderators of the Toronto Local Guides community about organizing a meet up.    Sydney and I have organized 33 of the 36 meet ups for our community.  

It is through the planning and organizing of meet ups that Sydney and I have grown Toronto Local Guides into one of the largest local guides communities and top performing community. - We were #5 in the world in the Google Local Guides challenge.

Organizing a meet up is something that takes some planning and there can be some liabilities.  I am including a listing of the 36 meet ups.   Be prepared that when a meet up goes well everyone will try to take credit for it and if a meet up goes bad it could affect our community and the local guides program.

Upcoming 2017 

Toronto Comicon meet up (currently organizing)

Taste and try – Samosa’s

Taste and try – Belgian Cuisine

Taste and try – Ukrainian / Polish / Russian Cuisine

Taste and try – Mauritian Cuisine

December

Meet up – Cancelled organizer Prachy Mohan

October

Hunger Heroes meet up – Melissa Bessey organizer

Buffer Festival meet up 

Connected Plus meet up

Profusion meet up

September

Brewery Tour meet up

Logo Competition

Techweek meet up

Seneca College Pizza meet up

Tim Horton sampler meet up

Seneca Global Network meet up

CN Tower Photo Contest

Seneca College back to school meet up

Apple Computer headquarters meet up

Patrick Flowers – 2016 Summit meet up

Hack the North meet up

Newco meet up

Toronto Local Guides – TV Series meet up

Pokemon Go meet up

Google Canada headquarters meet up

Youtube Fanfest meet up

Toronto beer festival meet up

Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) Photo Contest

Chin Picnic meet up – Local Guides Day

New vintage festival meet up – Local Guides Day

Honda Indy photo contest

Youth Day meet up – Melissa Bessy organizer

Mac & Cheese festival meet up

Quidditch Bootcamp – Toronto Local Guides Quidditch team tryouts.

Harry Potter Improv

Potters day brunch meet up

CN Tower photo contest

CN Tower – Edgewalk

April Ice Breaker – Distillery district

April Ice Breaker – Three Brewers

Meet ups in 2016 included Picnics, Quidditch, Improv, PottersDay (Harry Potter Day), Video meet ups, photography meet ups, Pizza meet ups, Icebreaker meet ups, taste and try meet ups, Brewery tours, Apple headquarters meet up, Google headquarters meetup, a television series meetup, Pokemon meet up, Rogers headquarters meet up, Youtube Fanfest meet up, Tech week meet up, and we look forward to more meet ups in 2017.

Level 5

All I am looking for is a calendar of Meetup events in toronto for March 2017 .not long winded essays o how to go about organizing meetups .has no one ever heard of occams razor  ?

Level 8

+1

I never heard of occams razor.  Please educate me, @BrianC .

If you are looking for Meet-ups posted to the Official Local Guides Meet-up site, please visit:

https://maps.google.com/localguides/meetup

Enter the City in the search field, select a date, then the system will show meetups meeting your inputs.

Level 9

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Let-s-Meet-Up/Malabar-Meet-up-2017/m-p/137751#M8414 Malabar Local guides

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 4

Thank you.

Level 9

There is my face here. LOL 

Level 9

Thank you @HelloJess, for the wonderfully written detailed post, very helpful and answered all my questions!

Level 7

@HelloJess, great!!  examples to organise meetup's. Is their a way out to organise sponsored meetup's to make it more interesting. Some people hesitate to join bcoz this whole concept is virtual. When the meetup's are planned & authenticated by sponsor with some perks & rewards it will generate more interest to join. 

Former Google Contributor

@WilayatK I've seen examples of Local Guides hosting meet-ups with sponsorship from a business, but you need to be careful about this. Please take a look at our review content policy, specifically the "Conflict of interest" section which states:

Reviews are most valuable when they're honest and unbiased. If you own or work at a place, please don’t review your own business or employer. Don’t offer or accept money, products or services to write reviews for a business or to write negative reviews about a competitor. If you're a business owner, don't set up review stations or kiosks at your place of business just to ask for reviews written at your place of business.

If a restaurant or business is simply inviting you to check out things out and write your own, unbiased review, then that's great. If they're offering you some sort of compensation in exchange for writing a positive review, then you should decline the offer and explain that it violates the Local Guides policy. If you choose to host a Local Guides meet-up at the venue, I'd also include a disclaimer in your description that mentions you were invited to host a meet-up there, but you will not receive compensation for your review.