ArielleM_'s post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Re: Issues w/ uploading videos to Maps + reviews/photos missing

Hey @ipm001,

I started a new thread to keep our conversations organized as your issue is a bit unique. I merged our previous convo here as well. Hopefully others will be able to benefit from this discussion :).

From your application, go to> Settings> App Manager> Select Google Drive> Hit "Clear Cache or Data" - these steps should help with the issues uploading directly to the Maps application.

Regarding your missing reviews/photos, if there's been some time since you added photos to a specific place, your older photos will simply be farther down the list. Your points remain the same because your photos weren't removed, they're simply rearranged to allow for more current photos to display for any given POI.

Keep us posted on your progress. Thanks for your patience. 

6 comments

Re: Uploading Videos to Google maps

Hello @ipm001,

Truly sorry to hear about the issues you've faced with uploading your photos/videos to Maps, as well as with attempting to Kudo here on Connect. Are you uploading directly via the application, or creating a separate video from your phone and then trying to upload (from your previous messages it seems you're capturing from your phone and then attempting upload to the Maps app)? Regarding the issue with Kudoing, I saw that you tried clearing your cookies/cache - did you also restart your computer and sign out/back into Connect? Usually, clearing your cookies/cache will automatically force you to sign back in anyway.

Please keep us posted with regard to the issue you have with performing a Kudo on Connect. With regard to the issues you're facing with Maps, try posting your inquiry on the Google Maps Help forum for assistance from their experts and top contributors. 

Level 10

Hi @ArielleM_ :

thank you for your response. We've been doing a little research and a few minutes ago we found something

really strange. I'm able to kudo when I use Firefox. So far I usually used Chrome. Actually, I've just tried

to kudo your response using Chrome and I couldn't. In a few minutes I will switch to Firefox and I'm sure

you will see my kudo ....   🙂  🙂

I create video using my Android phone. There was no problem whatsoever before (like a month ago or so).

I uploaded a few video, they showed up, no problem. Lately I try to upload, get the confirmation screen,

and then .... nothing. They never show up. Also, my reviews, earlier photos are disappearing. Strangely enough

I can't see drop in points and (what is even more strange) my image counter isn't decreasing. I'd really like

someone to have a close look at my account. Even if it's just a small bug in Maps it could be useful.

(Just one last comment: Google Maps Help Forum isn't exactly helpful most of the times. They remind us of

Google policies, terms of use, etc. etc. Wouldn't help.)

Thanks again for your help, hope to hear from you soon.

Enjoy the rest of the day.    🙂  🙂  🙂

Hey @ipm001,

Thanks for tagging me in your response! I'll do a little research on my end and get back to you as soon as possible. Hang tight!

Hey @ipm001,

I'm back with an update. Try these steps and let me know how it goes (if you've already tried them, skip to "Additionally"). Please also sign out/back into your application and Connect profile on any browser you're using:

Issues w/ browser:

1) Update your Chrome browser

2) Reboot your computer

Issues w/ uploading/disappearing videos to Maps:

1) Update Maps application

2) Ensure your OS is up to date on your device as well

3) Please also check that you have a stable network connection when uploading - this will affect the process

Additionally, only a 30 second video may be uploaded to Maps via Android. The only acceptable format for these videos is .MP4.

With regard to your photos disappearing, kindly respond with answers to the following:

• Are you experiencing this on Google Maps app (if so, Android or iOS?), Google Maps on desktop, or both?
  • How many photos you are missing?
  • When did you first notice the drop in points/missing photos?

Thanks!

Level 10

Hi @ArielleM_ :

My browser, apps, and OS have always been carefully updated. (I'm in the IT business.)

I'm using a fast fiber network with strong NCP so that couldn't be a problem.

These problems are the same on my laptop and on my Android device.

As I've uploaded 21k+ pics I can't tell you exactly how many are missing. Sometimes I

revisit places and find out photos that were uploaded with my earlier review are missing.

I don't think I've experienced major drop in points. (I don't really care about points. I like to share

my adventures and help people find whatever they like.)

I'm pretty sure Google has a photo/pp/POI limit that's not publicized.Not too long ago I tried

to upload 50 pics on a great place. I got 250 points and only 20 pics showed up.

My biggest frustration is still the video issue.

Thanks, have a good one.

Level 10

Re: Issues w/ uploading videos to Maps + reviews/photos missing

Hi @ArielleM_ :

thanks for your time and effort.

Clear cache/cookies: have done that many times, doing it regularly, no change.

Missing reviews/points: you can easily tell if/when your previous review is missing. The

situation is a bit different with photos. If a POI is popular enough there must be several

hundreds if not thousands of reviews and even tens of thousands of photos. That's definitely

NOT what I'm talking about. Google has an algorithm (that's actually not public, even mods

have no access and info on it) that (re)arranges posted images. New images take at least a day

or so to get indexed and link-listed to the POI. Then the algorithm defines the viewing order.

Does NOT matter how new a posted image is. There's no guarantee whatsoever to be placed

towards the front of the list. Therefore if you check any list you will have no idea where and how

you will find an actual posted image. (Hint: post a good quality image on a popular POI

that you know very well. In a few days check the position of your image.) But, again, that's

NOT what I'm talking about. I posted 50 images on a medium popular POI and only cca.

20 showed up ever. And yes, I could roll down all the posted images not to mention that

posted images are linked to the review I wrote making it easier to follow.

Considering that lots and lots of users are having the same problem (of course, many of

them wouldn't take the trouble to post on forums) I inclined to believe that this is a

long overlooked bug in the Maps/Local Guides system.

Thanks again, have a great day.