Zainabzy_'s post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

[RECAP] Violence Against Women

December 1st, 2018 was the seventh day of the #16DaysOfActivism against Gender-Based Violence (GBV) campaign. More specially, it was my organised meet-up date to support this worldwide campaign for women's right.

Say NO to Violence Against WomenSay NO to Violence Against Women

Being a Saturday morning, it was somewhat understanding when the scheduled meet-up for 9am did not begin until about half an hour later. Novare, Apo Mall, the meeting point for the activity, is a popular landmark in the Apo Resettlement, Abuja, Nigeria so while awaiting the arrival of others, Chinazom and I embarked on a tour of the mall. Being a Local Guide comes with the urge to contribute, I guess.

There, we discovered the absence of some stores on the Google Map and some of those present had missing essential information. We added the missing stores, reviewed and updated information as well as uploaded pictures of the stores and products sold. It was a win to have made those unplanned positive contributions nevertheless, I was enthusiastic about the main activity for the day.

Eventually, a team of three (3) persons embarked on the mission to ensure the accurate existence of a number of medical outlets in Apo Resettlement Area, (Abuja, Nigeria), on the Google Map, as possible emergency locations in cases involving any sort of violence against women. Our first stop was Doctors on Call Hospital which was easy to identify as it was located by the roadside. However, on checking on the Google Map, we realised that the pin location was placed at a different location. For clarification purpose, we approached a staff of the hospital who confirmed that the pin location was wrong and right away, we suggested an edit for correction.

'Doctors on Call' Hospital, easy to locate physically but with location wrongly placed on the Google Map'Doctors on Call' Hospital, easy to locate physically but with location wrongly placed on the Google Map

Local guides, Chinazom and Zainab, making necessary verification with a staff of the hospital before applying the updates on the Google MapLocal guides, Chinazom and Zainab, making necessary verification with a staff of the hospital before applying the updates on the Google MapNext, we moved to Bamak Pharmacy, which was located along the same road. And to our surprise, the pharmacy had two wrong locations on the Google Map. The old location still appears on the Map while the new location was wrongly pinned on the Google Map. We promptly submitted these edits for an update on the Map.

Bamak Pharmacy has two incorrect locations pinned to the map.Bamak Pharmacy has two incorrect locations pinned to the map.

We moved to the next pharmacy, which happened to be a branch of Elot Pharmacy and Supermarket and make a guess… you guessed right, it was also not on the Google Map! But thanks to this team of Local Guides, the pharmacy location has been put forward for the update.

Elot Pharmacy and Supermarket, which is not present on the Google map has been submitted and under review for addition of locationElot Pharmacy and Supermarket, which is not present on the Google map has been submitted and under review for addition of location

At this point, we were more determined than ever to carry on with our task. We arrived at our fourth and fifth location – Apo Pharmaceutical Stores and Nola Pharmacy respectively, which to our delight were correctly located on the Map, with adequate information.

The first Pharmacy of the day that was accurately located on the Google Map with adequate informationThe first Pharmacy of the day that was accurately located on the Google Map with adequate information

To our delight, this newly opened pharmacy exists on the Google Map with up-to-date informationTo our delight, this newly opened pharmacy exists on the Google Map with up-to-date information

While on the move, we saw a random sign-post that reads Celiaja Clinic and Maternity, which we discovered was missing on the Google Map. Even with the directions on the sign-post, it was rather challenging to locate the clinic. We suggested the location for addition to the map.

This is the only sign-post present at the junction that leads to the hospital which is located further along the streetThis is the only sign-post present at the junction that leads to the hospital which is located further along the street

Celiaja Hospital BuildingCeliaja Hospital BuildingIn the end, it turned out to be a fulfilling meet-up for me and I was glad to have made these little contributions to my neighbourhood. I can happily say that it is the first of many more meet-ups to come!!!

What is a meet-up without a quick selfie??? Local Guides Chnazom, Zainab and Emeka JonesWhat is a meet-up without a quick selfie??? Local Guides Chnazom, Zainab and Emeka JonesSpecial thanks and photo credit to @Chizbeth @JonesParapaso and @U-royFelixA for being considerably supportive and to Local Guides Abuja Team members for their encouragement. 

Cheers,
Zainab!
Abuja, Nigeria
18 comments
Level 10

Re: [RECAP] Violence Against Women

@Zainabzy_ Amazing! @JonesParapaso @Chizbeth, you guys rock 😍😍😍

Level 7

Nice recap @Zainabzy_

I hope we see in Abuja someday

Level 8

Hi @Zainabzy_

Nice

Thanks For Shearing.

Level 10

Well done @Zainabzy_ and thank you for sharing with us your nice recap. 

Level 7

Nicely captured @Zainabzy_ it was a lot of fun catching up with you and adding info onto the map!

Live free and do good!
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is very inspiring. Thank you @Zainabzy_

Level 6

@U-royFelixA absolutely, they were really supportive. And you too, I appreciate 🙂

Cheers,
Zainab!
Level 6

@Magbagbeola my pleasure, I hope we do soon.

Cheers,
Zainab!
Level 6

@rajuroyal thanks for taking time to read 🙂

Cheers,
Zainab!