KarenVChin's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

[RECAP] VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk

Caption: San Francisco Bay Area Local Guide @karenvchin and Seattle Local Guide @Kwiksatik getting ready for their August 1st, 2020 VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Talk meet-up. Selfie: @KarenVChinCaption: San Francisco Bay Area Local Guide @karenvchin and Seattle Local Guide @Kwiksatik getting ready for their August 1st, 2020 VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Talk meet-up. Selfie: @KarenVChinOn August 1st,  I teamed up for the second time with Seattle Local Guide @Kwiksatik for my 13th Local Guides virtual meet-up since April. 

Caption: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk invite graphic.  Graphic: @KarenVChinCaption: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk invite graphic. Graphic: @KarenVChin

As with our successful  Local Guides Google My Business Talk, the driving force for having our “Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk was to help demystify and provide tangible, concrete examples for attendees:

1. Why Google has wanted us, Local Guides, to create lists as part of the last two Connect Lives application requirements.
  2. Why creating “Lists” are vital to our local communities and can help local businesses. 
  3. How creating lists highlight a Local Guide’s particular interests or passions.
  4. Help with social or cultural causes and guide your community.

For Megan and me, meet-up success was to give our 32 attendees “the tools,” or our tips, to immediately start using and creating high-quality, useful lists for Google Maps for themselves, for their community, and the world. 

Captions: Some of the 32 Local Guides who attending the August 1, 2020's VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk"  meet-up. Screenshot: @KwiksatikCaptions: Some of the 32 Local Guides who attending the August 1, 2020's VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk" meet-up. Screenshot: @Kwiksatik

Our Attendees

Caption:  The Local Guides who attended the August 1, 2020's VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk meet-up.  Screenshot collage: @KwiksatikCaption: The Local Guides who attended the August 1, 2020's VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk meet-up. Screenshot collage: @Kwiksatik

Our Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk Highlights

Caption: Presentation cover page for the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk meet-up. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatikCaption: Presentation cover page for the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk meet-up. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatik

What is a List and the Importance of Creating It

Lists are free to create and publish on Google Maps. You can create them for your personal use, to only share with your friends and family, or to list publicly on Google Maps.

Caption: "What is a List?" slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatikCaption: "What is a List?" slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatik

Our Tips

Anything that is on Google Maps or if you can add it can be part of a list. Use your imagination. The possibilities are endless. 

Caption: "Tips" slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatikCaption: "Tips" slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatik

Be sure to write a concise, useful description for each place on your list. You will get 5 points for each description!

Our List Examples

Lists can be anything you want them to be--personal (or private) or for the public. Be creative with your theme. 

Caption: Karen's Lists slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatikCaption: Karen's Lists slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatik

Here is your chance to share your passions or interests. Write a descriptive title that will inspire others to click.

Caption: Megan's Lists slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatikCaption: Megan's Lists slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatik

For your descriptions for each place on your list, include useful information from your experience. Do not use someone else’s words (no copying and pasting from the internet), but your own

Lists Can Impact Your Community

Create a list for a local festival where participants can use it to get around. The Google Maps list link can be shared socially, emailed, texted, added to the festival website, etc. 

Caption: Megan's Sweet Pea Festival example from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatikCaption: Megan's Sweet Pea Festival example from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatik

You can include places or businesses (the blue pin markers) that are participating in the festival. A list can help drive traffic to these locations.

In real-time, you can create a list to share relevant, critical information for your community.  

Caption: Megan's COVID-19 Testing Sites example from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatikCaption: Megan's COVID-19 Testing Sites example from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatik

Megan’s Tip: If you want to make sure people know your list is up-to-date, add a “last updated (date)” in the main list description. 

The beauty of creating a list is that it is done one time. You can always add (or update) to the list. You can share a critical list with a set group of friends or family members. They also may have the ability to add (or update) to your list, too, if you allow it.

Caption: Megan's Coordinated Communication (Family Medical) example from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatikCaption: Megan's Coordinated Communication (Family Medical) example from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatik

For example, you can create a Medical Health list including your children’s doctor, dentist, school, etc. information with contact and vital information, and share it with family members, your baby sitter, school administrator, etc. Once the list is created, you have the flexibility to add or update and share it with whoever you want to share. 

Local Guides Point Values

We emphasized to earn Local Guides points, and for Google to be aware of your created list, a Local Guide must make their list public. If a Local Guide only creates and shares it with a limited number of people or keeps the list “private,” the Local Guide is not eligible to earn Local Guides points. 

Caption: Lists by the Numbers slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation: Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatikCaption: Lists by the Numbers slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation: Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatik

Read more details here: Local Guides Points, Levels, and Badging

Our Challenge

To help jump-start creating lists for themselves, we created a fun Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Challenge on Connect for those attendees who wanted to create a list and to receive Megan and my honest feedback.

Caption: Challenge slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatikCaption: Challenge slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatik

Our Challenge Winners

Megan and I were overwhelmed by the high-quality list Challenge Accepted submissions. For many attendees, this was their first time creating a list for Google Maps. Many of the lists reflected the creator’s hearts or passions, helping their communities.

We could not just choose one winner! 

Each contestant is an excellent example of what they learned from our practical tips during our virtual List Talk:

Places to Eat

@RosyKohli Restaurants & Fast Food Center (List of Yummy NonVegetarian Restaurants & Fast Food Center in Mumbai, India)

@NanduMuraleedharan's A Foodies’ Day in Alappuzha (Budget-friendly places to eat in a day in Alappuzha, India)

@TPattanaik's Best Bengali Restaurants in Kolkata (List of authentic and traditional Bengali restaurants in Kolkata, India)

@Globe_trotter_Ish's Unique Gelato Spots in London (List of London’s best and most amazing gelato spots) 

@LightRich's Desayunos Post-Training  (List of breakfast spots after running in the Paseo de la Reforma area of Mexico City)

Places to shop

@Sagir's Kasuwa (Mini Market) Gomba  (List of local farmers markets shops in Gomba, Nigeria)

@Arati's List for a Bookworm (List of best bookstores in Hyderabad, India)

Community Resource/Business Tool

@kroza's Eco Punto Vecino Sustentable - Posadas - Misiones - Argentina  (List of neighborhood recycling drop-off locations in Posadas, Misiones, Argentina)

Business Tool

@Bernjam_TXREALTOR's New Construction Homes of SW Houston, TX (List of new home builders for local and international buyers in Houston, TX)

Passion/Hobbies/Interests

Silvis’ Los Angeles Filming Locations Tours (Movie lover’s list of famous film locations in Los Angeles/Hollywood)

Surprise, surprise

On a side note, we were excited to get tagged by Local Guides, who did not attend this meet-up, joined our List Challenge.

Passion/Hobbies/Interests

Erik_van_den_ Ham’s Towers, Spires that can be climbed in the Netherlands

Ermest's Nature & History - Alps of North East 

Next Steps

To learn more about creating lists for Google Maps, please check out these excellent Local Guides resources:

Want a copy of this Local Guides Lists for Google Maps presentation? Want to translate it to your local language?

Caption: "Want This?" slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatikCaption: "Want This?" slide is from the VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk presentation. Presentation: @KarenVChin & @kwiksatik

Thank you for attending and taking on the Challenge! 

Local Guides, we hope you enjoyed learning more about what, when, why, and how to create Lists for Google Maps. 

We hope you are now motivated and will start creating lists for Google Maps for yourself and your community.

Cheers,

Karen & Megan

Want to learn how to be a fantastic, helpful Local Guide?

Caption: San Francisco Bay Area Local Guide @KarenVChin & Seattle Local Guide @Kwiksatik happily getting ready for their August 1, 2020's VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk" meet-up. Selfie: @KarenVChinCaption: San Francisco Bay Area Local Guide @KarenVChin & Seattle Local Guide @Kwiksatik happily getting ready for their August 1, 2020's VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk" meet-up. Selfie: @KarenVChin

With a combined experience of being Local Guides for 9 years and attending 7 Local Guides Summits and Connect Lives between us, Megan and I have a series of Local Guides topics we want to cover via virtual meet-ups. 

If this interests you, please include your Connect ID in the Comments below so we can notify you of our future virtual meet-ups.  

➡️ Read our 1st Virtual Meet-up Recap: Local Guides Google My Business Talk

My Next Virtual Meetup Will Be Saturday, August 22nd

Caption: August 22, 2020's  VIRTUAL: Local Guides Google Crowdsource Dos & Don'ts Talk meet-up invite graphic. Graphic: @KarenVChinCaption: August 22, 2020's VIRTUAL: Local Guides Google Crowdsource Dos & Don'ts Talk meet-up invite graphic. Graphic: @KarenVChin

For the third month in a row, I am teaming up with Italy Local Guide & Google Crowdsource Influencer @ErmesT again. We will provide useful Local Guides and Crowdsource Dos & Don’ts Tips. To encourage knowledge-sharing, we will open the discussion to ask our Talk audience to share your Local Guides and Google Crowdsource Dos and Don’ts tips. Please join us. This exclusive Local Guides Google Meet meet-up has a maximum capacity of 100 attendees. RSVP NOW

San Francisco, CA, USA
10 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] VIRTUAL: Local Guides Lists for Google Maps Talk

As always, your meet up is very educative and informative.

Thanks Captain @KarenVChin for this awesome meet and detailed recap. 

Also thanks to @Kwiksatik for taking time to explain the importance of list and how to create one.

Kind regards. 

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 10

@KarenVChin hi, I always love reading your RECAPs. So much of technical details which one ppt cant. great meetup with you and @Kwiksatik . You both are very good organizers. You made all participants busy after the meetups also...My best wishes.  

Level 9

Yaay 🎉 I was waiting for this Recap! It was great taking part of this  Challenge. Hope to join you girls in the upcoming virtual meetups!

Thanks again @KarenVChin and @Kwiksatik ❤️

Level 7

I was waiting this recap to know the winner 😛 🙂

Thank you for such detailed recap @Kwiksatik @KarenVChin ,

people who missed out the meetup will get to learn vital points from your recap.

Your meetup was triggering point for me to work on my own unique list and giving task after the meetup was great idea, as it gives us practical knowledge, exploring practically is most important. 

Congratulations to all the attendees who participated activity, even their list gives me idea while creating mine. 

I would love to take slides and attend your future meetups as well 🙂

Level 8

@KarenVChin 

Thanks for recap & tagging my list on your recap feeling blessed ,I want to give my best & tried it there many more list I will make for education, health medical stores, Dr but couldn't make yet but very soon I will make . 

Attending your meet up was our pleasure, I got to learn many informative things . Please do recording it will help lg who miss your session. They can see recording. 

@Shrut19 . 

@FalguniP 

@Ewaade_3A 

@Anil6969 

@Erna_LaBeau 

@Shreeya_99 

@KashifMisidia 

Level 8

Congrats @RosyKohli 

Yes i was there in the meet up happy for your task completed surely will be apreciated by all 

My best wishes for your next task and i know you do it sincerily 

Regards 

Anil Singh

Thanks and Regards

Level 10

Namaskar..

@RosyKohli thanks dear, very good suggestion, @KarenVChin really it would be great if we miss then catch section on recorded video on YouTube..

Thanks in advance..

Connect Moderator

The recap is amazing @KarenVChin ! Big thanks to you and Megan @Kwiksatik for hosting such an amazing and informative meet-up ! A big congratulations on the success of this meet-up and I loved the energies and enthusiam of both of you throughout the meet-up! The presentation was at par! I would surely love to have one copy! Thanks for my Gelato spots in London list feature !

Thanks ! In case you wish to reach out, kindly send a private message on Connect. Feel free to tag on interesting posts by adding  '@' before my Connect profile id : globe_trotter_ish and I will respond as soon as I can !

Connect Moderator |  Guiding Star 2020 |  Guiding Star 2022Meet-up ChampionAccessibility Champion

Read Accessibility awareness posts here  | Accessible life - Google Earth projectInclusion and diversity series  | #GoGreenWithMaps series

My Instagram profile 

Connect Moderator

It is a fantastic list @Globe_trotter_Ish!! Thank you for sharing!