Sayo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

RECAP: The Makoko Community Walk

I have come to the realisation and without a doubt that the Local Guides program provides us with a global platform and opportunity to bring attention to worthy causes. As a firm believer in charitable activities and Founder of a nonprofit organisation, October Orange Initiative, we sought to leverage the local guides programme to bring attention through mapping charities so they are easily identified and supported. I do hope myself and other local guides in Lagos and Nigeria can bring about significant social change/impact within our various communities.

The Makoko Community Walk started at the scheduled time, with a few of us meeting up at the set location before proceeding by public transportation into the community.

To ensure it was a fulfilling experience for everyone who came, I had planned that we were going to visit a school (i.e. the Khan Foundation Junior Academy) being managed by a fellow local guide Teygah, so that we are familiar with the activities being undertaken and clearly understand the impact of our actions on the community. The school is located deep within the community and was opened to the visiting local guides. Although it was a weekend, the kids were so excited to be near their school. I brought a bag of kiddies clothes, shoes and some books, which were deeply appreciated but there was the troubled look of how they were going to deal with the possibility of a fight breaking out due to the excitement from the kids at receiving 'new' things.

Teygah, Founder, Khan Education FoundationTeygah, Founder, Khan Education Foundation
Teygah gave us a brief of the school, which has enrolled over 300 children from the community. Virtually all of them are experiencing formal education for the first time, many of such children are unable to speak English but are gradually learning to interact.

An exciting point during the visit came when we whipped out our phones and camera to take pictures, these kids were literally falling over themselves to pose for pictures. What Teygah is doing for the community is incredibly outstanding, but there is only so much one person can do. What this visit has done for me and other local guides who came is to open our eyes to the fact that there is still so much to be done for the Makoko community.

Teygah & Regina looking through items donated by October Orange InitiativeTeygah & Regina looking through items donated by October Orange Initiative

Some books donated by October Orange InitiativeSome books donated by October Orange Initiative

Kids posing excitedly for the cameraKids posing excitedly for the camera
Through October Orange Initiative, I shall begin making concerted efforts at bringing attention to the needs of the Khan Education Foundation, in achieving its vision of bringing education and exposure to the children of the Makoko Community. These needs cover funding, donation of educational materials for the school and welfare support for the children.

I sincerely do hope that as a local guide and a firm believer in nonprofits, one can make a difference one meet-up at a time.

Many thanks to @EmekaUlor, @Sagir@IsaacUnlimited and Walson for coming out and making this meet-up a memorable one and here's a link (The Makoko Community Walk Album) to an album with pictures from the meet-up.

Makoko, Lagos, Nigeria
43 comments
Level 8

Re: RECAP: The Makoko Community Walk

Hi @DeniGu, here's the recap you've been waiting for, hope you like it. And I thought to share with you guys @OSAMA @TraciC @GusMoreira, @HelloJess@KarenVChin @iyudhi @TorM @Badruddeen @brittym @JosephDewey @InnocensiaO@NunungAfuah@Julien44. Many thanks for making the Local Guides program worth it.

Connect Moderator

Dear @Sayo ,

an very impressive recap! 

Are there as well some internet pages about the organization or the school available? I would really like to read more about the projects.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

Hi @Sayo

Thanks for organising such amazing meet up.

It was an amazing experience spending time with the kids.

@ khan education fouFoundat is doing great job in making sure the children get formal education.

Kimd regards

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Sayo,

Wow, thanks for sharing this heartfelt recap! It is just awesome what you do! 

Best of luck with creating change and awareness for your future meet-ups 😊

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Impressive. Thanks for hosting such an insightful Meetup.

Isaac
Level 8

Hi @TorM,

Well, not that I know of but what I intend to do is build a profile for Khan Foundation and its school and have that information up on the October Orange Initiative website. As soon as that is done, I will let you know.

Many thanks for the comment.

Level 8

Hi @AlexaAC,

Thank you so much for your kind comment. You guys have done such an awesome job at giving us a platform to bring about change.

More news to come soon. Cheers.

Level 8

Hi @Mayford,

Many thanks for coming out to join us.

Looking forward to the next one.

Level 8

Hi @TorM,

I just got confirmation, you can find information about Khan Foundation and its projects here --> Khan Foundation. October Orange Initiative will still put up a Khan Foundation profile on its website to ensure attention is generated about its projects.

Cheers.