Linnéa's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

[RECAP] Sweden's first meet-up!

I have been nervous and excited for this day, this big day of hosting my first meet-up. The first meet-up in Sweden, ever!

But now, when I've made it through, I'm so happy I made it. Let me tell you my story about how it went from planning the meet-up until today.

I obviously got the inspiration from Connect Live 2018. Those three days were intense and absolutely amazing. When I got back home afterwards I was filled with new ideas and I immidiately started to research about Local guides meet-ups. My best tip from that research was UNDOUBTEDLY to talk to @AdrianLunsong, thanks to him my meet-up got approved and I would never have done it without his help. THANK YOU AGAIN ADRIAN! 

When I got the meet-up approved I stared sharing it on my social media and here on Connect. Since Sweden is a small country I tried to find every post on here that was about Sweden and searched for other Swedish Local guides. I tagged them and asked them to come to my meet-up and I think that actually was my most successful way of spreading the word.

And so, the day came. I gathered a bunch of stickers from the event, my Local Guides flag, my Local Guides backpack and my Richo Theta V. I went to the meet-up place twenty minutes before the meet-up started and waited for the others to get there. There was absolutely no problem for them to find me as I waited by the entrance of the coffee shop were the meet-up was planned. 

As Swedes do, we ordered ourselves some "fika", sat down and got to business.

Let me introduce you to the three guys that came to the meet-up!

@Pheliks94 is a food-loving guy that travels quite a lot to Asia, especially to Thailand where he's from. We're former collegaues and he got inspired to join the Local Guides program when he saw, on social media, that I was at Connect Live 2018. So even though he started contributing just a few months ago he's already a level 5!

@LindenB works at a company that puts up new buildings and make all sorts of new constuction around Stockholm and Sweden. This gives him the superb opportunity to get the first sight of new places and to add them to the map, which he does both through Google Street View and Google maps. This has so far taken him to level 6!

@PerC is a psychologist that via the Internet helps people with e.g anxiety and depression. He has released a couple of books and his doctoral dissertation is Sweden's most popular one with over 56000 downloads. During his dogswalks, with the most adorable Golden retriever ever, he has managed to gain a lot of points and is currently a level 7!

It has been a privilege to meet these guys and we're all very excited to keep hosting meet-ups and trying to gather a community for Local Guides in Sweden.

Thank you so much for today, it's been a blast!

Four happy, Swedish, Local Guides at a coffee shop in central Stockholm.Four happy, Swedish, Local Guides at a coffee shop in central Stockholm.@perC kind words in a post at Connect after the meet-up.@perC kind words in a post at Connect after the meet-up.@pheliks94 sharing the meet-up on his Instagram.@pheliks94 sharing the meet-up on his Instagram.

26 comments
Level 9

Re: [RECAP] Sweden's first meet-up!

@Linnéa Congrats on you first meet up.  Can't wait to see what you do in the future.

Connect Moderator

@Linnéa !

Fantastic! With once so many participants!

I hope some of you will join the 2019 European Meetup as well. 

As a dog 🐕 lover I‘m of course curious to know the nice face name on the second picture!? Is this the one from @PerC ?

I think it is time for me to go back for holiday to Sweden 🇸🇪... After the Astrid Lindgren film has started, I have had the feeling anyway 😉!

Varmer hälsninger fra Tyskland !

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 8

@Twister411 Thank you so much! I'll be happy to share all of our new adventures in the future!

Level 8

Hi @TorM! Thank you so much for your comment. Would you mind send me the link of the meet-up you're referring to? I'm very excited to see what that's about. 

And if you're a dog lover, let me send you a picture of my beautiful baby Cortana!

Cortana 7 monthsCortana 7 months

You should really come visit, and let us know when so we can make sure to organize a meet-up when you're here too. I havn't seen the Astrid Lindgren film but I really should because I truly love that woman.

Einen schönen abend noch!

Connect Moderator

Oh, Cortana is beautiful...! @Linnéa 

So, maybe you like this posts 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dedicated-to-Dogs/m-p/878828#M244396

The European Meetup is not organized by Google, but LocalGuides. It is approved like a normal Meetup but have the focus on inviting people from different countries of Europe. 2018 we have had it in Poland 🇵🇱. 2019 it is not clear yet, but it will be funny like 2018... 😉

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Recap-European-Meet-Up-2018-Poland/m-p/1072...

So, as I love Scandinavia (did work in Norway 🇳🇴 in the past), I hope some Swedish Local Guides will join us 2019....

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

Thanks very much for the tag @Linnéa! I'm glad to have been able to help out but at the end of the day, the biggest kudos goes to you because you've taken the initiative to go out there and host a meet-up! So a big congrats to you!!

And it's super cool too that you've tagged the meet-up participants in your post and we can all say hi to @Pheliks94 @LindenB and @PerC!! Hope you guys had fun at the meet-up and that you'll be excited to host more in 2019!!

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Level 10

Congratulations on the courageous first step @Linnéa👍 

Friends who came to see you will support you in the future!

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 8

@AdrianLunsong I can't say thank you enough though, it was not only the actual tools to get approved you helped me with but also giving me the courage to dare hosting it. So happy that you helped me out! 😍 

Level 8

Thank you so much, dear @YasumiKikuchi! 😍