ChinonsoOnukwugha's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

[RECAP] Owerri Beyond the Lens

Hello Local Guides!

The Imo State chapter had a meet-up on Friday, February 1st in support of World Cancer Day. This meet-up was particularly special to me for two reasons:

(1) It was my first time organizing a Local Guide meet-up (and surely more to come)!

(2) We were supporting a very important global cause.

The weather being fantastic that day was surely a bonus as well! The Breast Cancer Association of Nigeria (BRECAN) also held their Walk of Hope in the city, so this was as a great opportunity to meet with some of the participants and share some insights on the Local Guides community and our goals from the Imo State chapter. We shared our vision of creating more global awareness of the beauties of the city (Owerri), state, and country.  Many pictures were taken around the city during this meet-up, but here are two that highlight some of the significant moments.

IMG_20190127_163521.jpg

These two images are not only tourist attractions, but they also serve as a reminder of what the country was in the past and where we could be.

IMG_20190127_163525.jpg

Unfortunately, I could not document the empowering conversations I had with individuals while on the photo walk, but looking back - I am glad to have had the opportunity to host this meet-up. Feel free to ask any question(s) you have!

Cheers,

Chinonso Onukwugha

Owerri, Nigeria
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] Owerri Beyond the Lens

Hi @ChinonsoOnukwugha 

Congratulations for a successful meet up.

Cancer awareness campaign is great. You are a hero of humanity. Kudos to you.

Were you the only local guide that took part in the walk?

Kind regards

Sagir

A local guide from Lagos Nigeria.

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 10

Hi@ChinonsoOnukwugha 
Congratulations on successfully hosting a meet-up
By bringing global issues, hopefully this meet-up can be continued
Warm regards from Indonesia Local Guides

Former Google Contributor

Hi @ChinonsoOnukwugha,

Thanks for sharing your recap with us!

Congratulations on the meet-up being a succes, and for such a great cause. 

Can you share with us what we are seeing in the photos?

Especially the glass sphere in the first photo has got me thinking, but I can't seem to figure out what it is.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

Thank you @Sagir! I appreciate the words. For this meet up, yes I was.

Thank you @br14n, yes definitely!

Thank you @MortenSI! The first image was built as the official Fan Fest for the previous FiFA World Cup 2018. While some preliminary matches were held here, it is now used as a tourist site and places to watch local matches from time to time. The second is located nearby the first image and was built for aesthetics.

Thanks for the reply @ChinonsoOnukwugha!

So if I understand correctly, the whole place was built for people to watch the World Cup matches. 

Could people sit inside of the glass sphere and watch too?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

@MortenSI Yes, that's correct and hold some rallies, celebrations surrounding the matches. No you cannot sit inside the sphere, but there are bleachers around. I believe the sphere was meant to resemble the trophy. And to be clear, this is different from the Dan Anyiam Stadium (the official stadium of Imo State).

Loving the questions!

It makes more sense to me now @ChinonsoOnukwugha, thanks for clarifying. I can see the resemblance between it and the World Cup trophy.

I bet it was quite the experience watching the matches with everyone else here. I can almost imagine the kind of atmosphere they would create.

Level 7

@ChinonsoOnukwugha  keep up the good job

Level 7

Thank you!