EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

RECAP: Nigeria Accessible Walk TBS

Tafawa Balewa Square is a historic place. It hosted  Nigeria's independence ceremony and several notable events in our national history. 

Stallions at the TBS entranceStallions at the TBS entrance 

Tafawa Balewa Square (TBS)

we toured inside the facility which has a large open space for parades and events. There were three major spectator stands on the north, East and West sides of the Square. It has flood lights, electronic display board, restroom and change rooms. There are numerous shops and outlets within the facility including restaurants, Xerox centre etc.

Cricket Pitch

The old and popular cricket pitch was just a few metres away from the main bowl of the TBS. We watched a training session briefly then exited through the car park towards the terminal. 

TBS Terminal

The Bus Terminal has undergone some unique improvements over the years. There's a modern customer centre and restroom. Ticketing booths and modern kiosks are properly positioned. Most importantly this transit point has impressive accessibility trails to the ticketing booths and through the boarding gates. 

Tafawa Balewa Square Bus Terminal, LagosTafawa Balewa Square Bus Terminal, Lagos

City Mall

Our next port of call was the City Mall. Another historic place which boasts of an escalator, multistorey shops and businesses. We visited an art gallery, to admire some of the collections but we weren't allowed to take photos. There was this particular onwheel DJ music player that can carry two persons around while your choice music played. I saw two star Wars heroes on showcase too!

Onikan Youth Centre

Out of curiosity we entered the Onikan Youth Centre which had its name boldly written at the entrance. It is quite a calm, cute and resourceful facility. OYC has a library, conference room and garden. The centre has accessibility ramps leading to all its rooms. Obviously the facility managers understood the need for inclusiveness. 

Caption: Local Guides attending the Accessibility Walk. Standing -Walson, Aisha, Emeka ; Sitting Sanya and AnitaCaption: Local Guides attending the Accessibility Walk. Standing -Walson, Aisha, Emeka ; Sitting Sanya and Anita

Caption: Local Guides under a shade during a brief rainfall. L-R Emeka, Anita, Aisha, Michael, Sanya, Guest and WalsonCaption: Local Guides under a shade during a brief rainfall. L-R Emeka, Anita, Aisha, Michael, Sanya, Guest and Walson

Heres a link to the photo album and our short video

@ErmesT @Jesi @brittym  @AriMar @AlejandraMaria @helga19 @LuaPL

9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: RECAP: Nigeria Accessible Walk TBS

Great to see you all on your walk and learn of the improved accessibility you are seeing around you. Well done @EmekaUlor

Connect Moderator

Former Google Contributor

@EmekaUlor This is great, Emeka! Thanks for sharing - and thanks for tagging me! Will I have a chance to meet any of these meet-up guests at Connect Live in San Francisco? 

I'm going to move this post to Local Stories so we can feature it 😉

Level 9

Hi @EmekaUlor!

It's wonderful seeing all of you enjoing this nice meet-up and see how the Tafawa Balewa Square has taking in consideration accesibility needs like the Onikan Youth Centre.

I have recognised some friends as Sanya 😁.

All of you are doing great!!! Congratulations 👏👏👏.

I liked the video and pics 😉.

Good Evening from the South of Spain,

Alejandra.

Connect Moderator

@brittym thank you too. Yes, of course, @SanyaOdare would be at Connect Live!

Connect Moderator

@AlejandraMaria Thank you for appreciating our little contributions as LGs. Yes you did recognize Sanya! he is one of the Local Guide Legends in Nigeria. Hopefully, you'd meet him at Connect Live.

Tafawa Balewa Square was built around 1960s and the few upgrades have be inclusive.

xoxo

Emeka

Level 10

Thank you @EmekaUlor for the mention! Truth is, I enjoyed every bit of this meet-up. Yes @brittym, I will be at Connect Live 2018 and I look forward to seeing you there as well.

Level 9

Hello dear @EmekaUlor

It is great! Excellent video your MEET UP! 

Thanks for sharing!

My best wishes to all Local Guides!

Level 9

Thank you @EmekaUlor for sharing with us.