EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

RECAP:Nigeria Accessibility Walk Abuja

A 757km journey to the Federal Capital Territory is no beans! Yes, it's worth the stress too.

Abuja is a pretty and large city. It is dotted with natural and man-made features which is an ostentatious blend for an urban settlement. The roads are wide, smooth and interconnected, yielding less to traffic congestion. 

Abuja is geographically dotted with hills and rocksAbuja is geographically dotted with hills and rocks

Although not all parts of the metropolis seem active all day, the Maitama District is functional -24hours! You can get around town any time of the day, either using taxi hailing service or other cab services. They charge more for late trips, take note.Caption: A night image showing part of Maitama, AbujaCaption: A night image showing part of Maitama, Abuja

Upon arrival, I headed straight to Maitama where I'd spend my short vacation. It took us less than 20 minutes drive to arrive at one of the prestigious hotels in the country. The cab driver was kind enough to stop an eatery to pick up my kind of dinner. As we continued the road trip, he also took the job of a tour guide listing places I need to see and hangouts for night-crawlers. Perhaps, he saw me as one, coming from Lagos. Weariness couldn't allow me take photos of the beautiful lit streets but the free blowing breeze was soothing.

Our nifty chauffeurs got us through security checks and we were at the check-in lounge; straight to the fifth floor in a jiffy. It was definitely a shower - hot tub, as the room was 20 centigrade cool. I made myself some tea, while being briefed on some assignments, gradually eased into nattering about the luxurious environment.

Maitama

Maitama District is a deluxe niegbourhood hosting international community - embassies, high commissions, diplomatic, hotels, government ministries, foreign organizations, malls, public official residents and sprawling estates more. The urban plan looked cool even on ground. Walkways are interconnected such that persons with mobility challenges can actually move around unassisted unlike parts of Lagos.

Transcorp Hilton

Right before me was the beautiful city of Abuja, from this part of the suite, looking green and glittery. I fell in love! Lots of people come here for various activities. The massive building has over 500 rooms, lounges, gyms, exclusive executive floors, presidential suites and 24hours service. Breakfast and dinner were awesome. From the gate to the skyscraper, there were accessibility trails through the car parks into the building and up the elevator. This is the only facility where I have seen a complete accessible trail thus far! 

My LG colleague from Lagos surprisingly was in the same location and he joined the meetup. @Specobelle has been a wonderful partner.

Adewole @Specobelle surpringly joined me for the meetupAdewole @Specobelle surpringly joined me for the meetup

Wuse Zone 3

A common feature in this part of Abuja was the bureau de change. My friend said this is the where the dollars reside and I added that it’s the FOREX Zone! Most of the buildings here didn’t have large spaces but more houses feature per square metre. Wuse Zone 3 is in between the CBD and Maitama District thus a melting point for citizens especially outdoor lovers.

Floris Garden & Park

Yes, they know I am from Lagos and folks wanted to impress or suppress me. We went to a popular garden in Wuse Zone 3. It was another smooth and swift ride too. This garden has an open seating arrangement, large car park, a lounge, game stand, lush green area and music. It was about 5pm and the parking lots were almost filled? Now, I see why the loved it here.

Accessible trails

Maitama District would get an “A+” for accessibility! Transcorp, Power House, National Human Rights Commission, Nigeria Communication Commission and other buildings on this axis had ramps linking their buildings. The only challenge was the lack of signage to indicate accessibility.Caption: Wheelchair parking and reserved area with signs at Transcorp Hilton, AbujaCaption: Wheelchair parking and reserved area with signs at Transcorp Hilton, Abuja

Walkways on Aguiyi Ironsi Road, MaitamaWalkways on Aguiyi Ironsi Road, Maitama

Wheelchair ramp at National Human Rights Commission, Maitama, AbujaWheelchair ramp at National Human Rights Commission, Maitama, Abuja

Night Life

After our day activities, we got calls from some high school classmates to hangout in another district. We haven't seen one another since 1998! All we do was chat over whatsapp and phone but now it’s a reunion. Kazah would pick me up from the hotel showing some historic places and proving why Abuja would be nice for me. Here we are at a popular lounge/park in Zone 3 sipping larger while we awaiting a raucous encounter with ol’ pals.Emeka and Kazah at Floris Garden, Wuse Zone 3, AbujaEmeka and Kazah at Floris Garden, Wuse Zone 3, Abuja

Godwin and Emeka at Floris. Godwin is one of  the top radio DJs in Abuja and an LGGodwin and Emeka at Floris. Godwin is one of the top radio DJs in Abuja and an LG

Emeka and Steven at Floris Garden. Stevo is a Hospitality Manager and Level 5 LGEmeka and Steven at Floris Garden. Stevo is a Hospitality Manager and Level 5 LG

One after the other, Stephen @Stevetanko14 (Stevo), Solomon  (Solo), Godwin, Oluwaseun (Mushe)and Kingsley (Slo) arrived giving me a smacking hand shake and big hug. Reminiscing the good old days and looking at how far we have come. All eyes were on our table, they didn’t understand emotions we were going through but we proceeded with more beers, chicken barbecue and suya

Everyone wanted me to talk about Local Guides and the accessibility walk. In the process I discovered that most of them where LGs two others joined instantly and started adding photos of the bar, garden, lounge and game corner.

At about 10:15 pm, Slo would drive me back to Maitama enroute his home. I found myself on the fifth floor once more; took a cold shower this time, my dinner, then some tea. 

Some nice images in the album would take you round the city- enjoy the photos and surely I would be back! 

@IlankovanT @TraciC @AlejandraMaria @brittym @KarenVChin @ErmesT @AriMar @PaulPavlinovich

Let's keep guiding and make the world more inclusive.

Xoxo

Emeka

With 💚 from Abuja,Nigeria!

Maitama, Abuja, Nigeria
23 comments
Googler

Re: RECAP:Nigeria Accessibility Walk Abuja

Hi @EmekaUlor. Does it get any better than doing good in the world and getting to meet up with other Local Guides? It looks like Abuja is pretty accessible to me in terms of walkways! 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Connect Moderator

It's great that Maitama is so accessible, and that you got to meet with your former classmates too. I really like your writing, it was very descriptive and entertaining to read.

@EmekaUlor Congrats on the fun meet up, and thank you for sharing it with us, and for mentioning me as well.

I'm looking forward to your next recap 😊

Connect Moderator

@TraciC I felt proud of Abuja with the rate of its accessibility. Yes, you are right about the walkways, they are interconnected and safe for pedestrians and wheelchairs not. The walkways are not elevated like those in Lagos. Vehicles can also park on both sides of the walkways meaning that people with disability would find it easy getting out of their cars and stepping onto the path with a few steps.

Connect Moderator

Oh, thank you for the compliments @Jesi

I was excited during and after the fun meetup because Maitama seemed to be that dream inclusive city for me and of course meeting my classmates. 

Thanks for finding time to share my experience.

Cheers 

Googler

Thanks for sharing more info, @EmekaUlor.

P.S. Have you noticed that the image in your signature is broken? 😞 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Connect Moderator

You are welcome @TraciC

Thank you for calling my attention to the broken signature. I will work on it right away.

Cheers

Connect Moderator

You are welcome @TraciC 

The energy and passion was inspired by you, of course.

Thanks for calling my attention to the broken link. I will fix it immediately.

Cheers 

Level 9

Hi @EmekaUlor!

You are a superb accesibility champion :))))

I am really happy to see how you are involved with this LG program and how you are helping to have a more inclusive world. You are unstoppable 😉

You made a worderful recap. It´s nice to see you having a great time with your fellows, I could feel your emotions .

I am really happy to see that Abuja is getting more and more accesible. Maitama District is a cool niegbourhood.

Keep guiding and sharing with us all your energy.

Good Evening from the South of Spain,

Alejandra.

Level 8

@EmekaUlor it was great having u around and men seeing u after 20 solid years since we last saw was great... 

Abuja is truely a place to be...

Thanks for the local guide thing...

Looking forward to seeing u again...