IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[RECAP] My 50th meet up! - Sri Lanka Local Guides Get together

It’s time to recollect and talk about my journey again on the recap of my 50th meet up. Yes, it has been a golden journey if I see this as my Golden Jubilee, being a Local guide hosting meetups.

50th Meetup50th Meetup

When I started my first meet up, I was clueless about what I was about to do and day by day, things started to deviate and it has become my passion while I started focusing on my passion getting together with fellow local guides and contributing to Google maps.

First MeetupFirst Meetup

Eventually, I started influencing and encouraging fellow local guides to host meetups and contribute to Google maps in all possible ways. Day by day, this become my passion too.

Before reaching this Golden milestone, the path I have traveled is quite sensible and poised. I always wanted to keep a balance in all what I did being a Local Guide. I concentrated in contributing to Google maps, hosting meetups, contributing to Local Guides Connect and to Crowdsource. All these four aspects were given an equal weightage of 25% each. I always wanted to be a perfect local guide who contributes equally in all areas in a clustered way.

Contributes equally in all areas in a clustered way.Contributes equally in all areas in a clustered way.

The yield from all these meetups I gained is new friends, quite a lot of them, new exciting experiences and an apparent improvement in Google maps in my country.

My favorite meetups

I would say helping people who are really in need is the most favorite thing in my journey. Starting from map editing in rural, sub urban and event at urban areas, hosting knowledge sharing sessions for differently able people on accessibility, knowledge sharing sessions and educating rural youth and kids on various aspects and novelties, I have enjoyed each and every aspect of this journey.

My favorite meetupsMy favorite meetupsMy favorite meetupsMy favorite meetups

Shoulders that supported my journey towards this milestone

I would say LG team who always encourage and appreciate our activities, specially @TraciC who initiated the “Join hands to help millions -  Accessibility” and other Googlers, my fellow local guides were real influencers behind my enthusiasm. Especially, in Sri Lanka Shafran, Anuradha, Nalin, Thanulakshan and many…

Another one who tolerates my craziness at home (my Wife) and allows me to roam around the country, even overseas at times hosting meet ups with my fellow local guides. However, I have been balancing my family life with volunteering as well as my career.

Diagram of my life journeyDiagram of my life journey

When you look into these categories of Family, Volunteering (its Google maps in my case) and professional works, balancing all these is crucial. Beyond balancing my work and family life, what I did to excel in my Volunteering was, I turned my passion into contribution. For instance, photography, writing reviews, traveling and etc. So this become part of my life.

Have a look at the areas I have covered hosting meetups in my country. Out of all 9 provinces, I have accessed and hosted meetup’s in 7 provinces and more to go.

hosted meetup’s in 7 provinces and more to gohosted meetup’s in 7 provinces and more to go

I was actually planning to host my 50th meetup with a unique plan, being with differently able people sharing my knowledge on Google maps and support them live a better and accessible life.

Unfortunately, due to various reasons, I had to stay in Colombo, Sri Lanka and I changed my plan to host it with my fellow Local Guides. However, that was an awesome idea too.

Initially, I didn’t tell anyone about this 50th Meet up matter. But somehow Anuradha got to know and posted on Facebook and everyone got to know.

When I reached the place, only Shafran was there and after that @TaralaNayanaD@JanasiP@ThivHari@AsankaJayasuriya (with family), Lahiru, Amila & @UpulW gathered on time. Behind the screen, Isuranga and Shafran, together with my wife have planned a surprise cake and they appeared with the cake.

Surprise cakeSurprise cake

My initial intention was to give a boost among my fellow local guides, so I have scheduled a Hangout inviting local guides living overseas too. Few local guides have already informed me about their unavailability at the HO due to various other reasons such as traveling, work time and etc.

Yes! Sukumal and Janasi told this meet up have been so encouraging for them and the urge to contribute more has been boosted within themselves. Sukumal says that he has gained more points right after this meetup.
@AlejandraMaria joined us from Spain and waved a Hi to all Sri Lanka Local Guides, her daughter was there too. The hangout went really awesome.

HO with Local GuidesHO with Local Guides

@KashifMisidia from Pakistan who become a Local Guide friend of mine recently spoke to everyone around too.

@JeroenM also joined us while he was traveling and he was showing the beautiful landscapes around him to all of us and added some refreshing boost to the HO.

Asanka showed up to the meet up with his wife and kids. After introducing them to us, they left to play at the kid's area nearby leaving Asanka with us.

Sukumal is the one in our click who has the highest number of points which is around 200,000+ . He told he was even motivated by this meet up joining all fellow local guides.

We were discussing various future plans. Janasi and Upul had some very constructive suggestions. Also, I suggested to have monthly hangouts to keep in touch.

Lahiru is a new face who joined us this time and this was his first meet up. Also, he wanted to join us in future meetups too.

Discussing about various future plansDiscussing about various future plans

I got a grafted cactus tree from my wife for this 50th meet up signifying 50%. It was a crazy looking cactus with half red and half green. She always keeps encouraging me to do more volunteering and I am really lucky to have a wife like you @KrithikaA

I got a grafted cactus treeI got a grafted cactus tree

Then we cut the cake and enjoyed it. This was really a surprise celebration for me. After the cake, we went to the food court, had some ice creams while discussing a lot of constructive matters.

Cake timeCake timeIce cream timeIce cream time

Out of all these, significant moments of my meet up. Tarala is one respectable person who is also the senior of our click. He is so humble and tranquil in nature. He used to bring my baby a gift each and every time he attends my meet up. This time it was a pup barking and moving forward. My little one had fun with the toy.

Gift for babyGift for baby

Also, I suggested Amila who is good at Street view photography to host a knowledge sharing session for Sri Lanka Local guides since he is good at it and he accepted it too. Hope to have all these plans implemented for the betterment of Sri Lanka Local Guides Community. Despite all my meetups, I couldn’t contribute directly to Google maps this time. However, I returned home with the satisfaction of being the catalyst for greater enthusiasm among many fellow local guides. We hope to execute all our plans and enhance the performance of Sri Lanka Local guides as a team.

Following is my collection I have hosted so far.

More meetup photos please click here

Battaramulla, Sri Lanka
31 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] My 50th meet up! - Sri Lanka Local Guides Get together

Congratulations @IlankovanT for that great achievement. And yes thanks for your invitation and I was not there but I feel like that I m celebrating your great achievement in Colombo. Because not just you but many Sri Lankan  friends I got by that meet up.

Thanks again thushy..  Will meet you again in your another achievement celebration soon.

Nandri 😙😙😙😙

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 10

@IlankovanT Congratulations!!! You are a Local Guides Legend !!! I missed your 50th meetup. 

Level 8

Congratulations @IlankovanT 

wish i could come somehow 😞 hope everyone enjoyed 🙂

Level 10

Astonishing numbers and story @IlankovanT! You are a true legend!

Thanks for calling me in the hangout! 🙂

Meetup King! 🙂

Level 9

Hello @IlankovanT, Thanks for sharing your Meet-Up with us. Huge Congratulations for the 50th Meet-Up and get together as well. Wish you all the best. Keep hosting.

I ❤️ Bangladesh | Meet-Ups | Achievements | Instagram | My Website
Level 7

congratulations Meet Up King @IlankovanT. There is no doubt that you are the SriLanka LG legend. This is a great achievement, also I am really happy that I could be a part of this meet.

Level 9

Huge congratulations @IlankovanT sir ...

Level 9

Thank you for joining this HO @KashifMisidia. hope we can do similar HO in future 🙂

Level 9

Thank you very much for your kind words @NirmalTeja@AsankaJayasuriya@ShahMdSultan@LucioV@NalinK 🙂

Hope I will reach 100 soon 🙂