AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[RECAP] Matara Photowalk - Archaeology students, are they following me?

Matara Photowalk was meetup I organized after a long time. The participants and I thoroughly enjoyed it while contributing to the Google Maps and Street View.

This was scheduled on a weekday, and I thought there wouldn't be much participation. I was wrong, and it was one of the great meetups I held. 

Archaeology students, are they following me?

With University of Kelaniya Students...With University of Kelaniya Students...

We came early and we parked the vehicle near the beach and went to the beach. When we were there we met about 12 archaeology students from the University of Kelaniya. Three participants who were with us were from the University of Kelaniya and they knew these students and asked me to explain the Google Local Guides program to them.  I was wondering, why I am always meeting archaeology students everywhere. I am always trying to encourage archaeology students to contribute to the Google Maps to record archaeological sites and  I have conducted few knowledge sharing sessions for them. Maybe the universe wants me to do this, that is why it keeps on introducing archaeology related people to me. 😉 

I explained to them how they can contribute to the Google Maps and how they can join the Google Local Guides program. They were happy, and I promised to conduct another knowledge sharing session for them on Google Maps and other related tools.

It was a mini-meetup within a meetup, and I enjoyed the quick knowledge sharing session.

The Actual Meetup

The meeting point of the meetup was the main entrance of the Matara Bus Stand. Three participants @sithara_mahalekam , Kasun and Rumal were with me from the morning and @MAHINDA, and Piyumi joined us at the entrance. 

We started the photo walk b taking photos of Matara bus stand, and when we went inside the bus stand, two policemen stopped us and questioned us. They wanted to know why we are doing this and especially why we are doing it as volunteers. We explained to them, and it took more than ten minutes to convince them. 

Then we moved forward, and we watched a cricket match played by school children in an adjacent cricket ground.

We crossed the road and then went to the Parvai Duwa, an island about 100 meters away from the mainland. The cable bridge to the island is a nice one, and you can have a nice view of Matara town from there. We went to the island, and the whole island is occupied by a temple. We took some photos there and came back. On our way back another participant, Tharindu came and joined us.

Meeting Tharindu

Updating the street view imagery: Whole new experience for participants 

This was something I was planning for a long time, updating the Google Street View imagery during a photo walk. I explained to the participants the process of updating the Google Street View imagery using a supported camera. Then we started recording the video, and while recording, I explained the features of Street View app to them. 

Have a look at update street view imagery.

They enjoyed this session, and they were happy as they have helped in updating Google Street View imagery, which will help millions of people around the world.

Refreshments

After the street view session, we decided to have some refreshments. We went to a restaurant, and we had some snacks. While we were there, we uploaded a few photos of the restaurant to Google Maps.

Refreshments...

I love this photo...

It was a great meetup after a long time, and everyone enjoyed it.

Follow this link for the Google Photo Album of the meetup.

Please have a look at two videos created by Rumal Vindula.  First One | Second One

Hope you would enjoy the recap video of the meetup.

Photo Credit: Rumal Vindula and Kasun Jayasuriya

@OSAMA @KarenVChin @SoniaK @MahabubMunna @ErmesT @LucioV enjoy this...

Matara, Sri Lanka
17 comments
Level 10

Re: [RECAP] Matara Photowalk - Archaeology students, are they following me?

Just plan and thinking when i travel Sri lanka @AnuradhaP . you guys are LG Rockstar 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 9

Hi @AnuradhaP.

Huge congratulations on your Meet-Up. 

I ❤️ Bangladesh | Meet-Ups | Achievements | Instagram | My Website
Level 10

@MahabubMunna I am waiting. Just come to Sri Lanka. You are an LG legend. Please let me know in advance we can plan and have lots of fun. 

Level 10

@ShahMdSultan Thank you...

Level 9

You are an Archeological hero @AnuradhaP 🙂 keep the good works up 🙂 
I'm proud of you 🙂

Level 10

Great meetup @AnuradhaP! Nice to see that you can share your personal knowledge and merge it with LG activities!

Level 8

Great meetup @AnuradhaP

Former Google Contributor

A great recap! @AnuradhaP. Thank you for sharing. 

Level 10

@Atsukot Thank you...