AdrianLunsong's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

[RECAP] Manchester LG: Jan 2019 Meetup

Caption: View of the central fireplace located within Albert's SchlossCaption: View of the central fireplace located within Albert's Schloss

About two weeks ago (almost!), the Manchester Local Guides decided to make use of the city wide deals that were going on! These January deals were open to all public and was initiated by a bunch of cafe/restaurant owners to entice folks to eat out and spend money; because of Christmas and New Year celebrations, January tend to be a super quiet month!

It feels like a distant memory as I've been super busy since then, but here's a recap of the event!

Firstly, our event was attended by @ZoeOooe, @deadmanjones@PeteMHW, Iain G and myself! We decided on Albert's Schloss as none of us have been there before and it's been on my hit list for yonkers now!! I've read the reviews of the venue before so had a pretty decent idea of what to expect and they are all pretty true; cosy, energetic, noisy, fun. In fact, you can read my review of the venue here!  

What I didn't expect was the type of food served! I know, I should have checked the menu in advance but I was just super excited for the venue itself. Anyway, the food was German based (that should have been obvious too!) and it's not one of the cuisines that excites me (sorry folks!!). But they had Spätzle on the menu which I had only tried once in Dusseldorf and absolutely loved it! So, phew.. and I really did like my dish although it was a bit too salty. Spätzle, by the way, it's like a type of pasta and recently, I've got mad cravings for pasta! I don't know why, I just do! 

Anyway, we all had an awesome time with the food and drinks (the beer drinkers had loads of options to choose from!) and to our surprise, the venue had live entertainment every Wednesday where they have two pianists play/sing song requests from the audience! Needless to say, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves so much so that we stayed on an extra hour after our planed finish time. The only downside was that it was really noisy in there so conversations were a bit of a shouting match! 

Here are some photos from our event!Caption: The menu and some of the dishes we had; bread, pretzel, cheese, pate, Spatzle, sausage festCaption: The menu and some of the dishes we had; bread, pretzel, cheese, pate, Spatzle, sausage fest

Caption: Collage of photos showing Manchester Local Guides having a great timeCaption: Collage of photos showing Manchester Local Guides having a great time

Caption: Top photo is a group photo of all attendees, Bottom photo is the main dining areaCaption: Top photo is a group photo of all attendees, Bottom photo is the main dining area

Caption: Collage showing various photos of the venue as well as the baked Alaska (awesome dessert but be prepared for the sugar high!)Caption: Collage showing various photos of the venue as well as the baked Alaska (awesome dessert but be prepared for the sugar high!)

I hope you've enjoyed this brief recap! If you're ever in Manchester, this is definitely one of the places to drop by! Check out their website too to find out when their live entertainment is on!

Do you have a similar restaurant in your area? Have you been to it and what's your take on German food! For all the German food fans out there, apologies for not finding German food exciting.. but maybe you can suggest some dishes that you think I should try in future!

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Manchester, UK
18 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: [RECAP] Manchester LG: Jan 2019 Meetup

Hi @AdrianLunsong,

Thank you for sharing your recap! My favorite German dish is french fries with apple sauce. It's very tasty although a bit unusual.

What about you @Sorbe? What did you enjoy most in Berlin?

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Thank you for the tag @VasT , 

It's kind of funny because I have lived quite close to Manchester for several years and I tried Brazilian, Italian, Portuguese but never had the chance to try German food so this looks like a pretty good excuse to go back to one of my favorite city in England. 

Talking about Berlin I was pretty surprised about the variety and multi-ethnic choice of food that you can have, and I think that if someone wants to try the most authentic food should probably visit the areas around Munich.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator

Hello @AdrianLunsong,

Such a great recap, thanks for sharing. As I can see you had a really great time together. Do you know that there is a post on Connect about the German food. If you have interest take a look: Where to eat in Kreuzberg, Berlin.

I am not a big fan of the German food but all of the dishes you shared look delicious, especially the baked Alaska dessert. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Hi @AdrianLunsong

It looks like you guys had fun, and the photos looks great too. Congrats on the successful meet up!

In Buenos Aires there are many German restaurants but I have only been to Extrawurst. I tried different kinds of sausages there which I honestly didn't like so much, but I did love the traditional potato salad they have and the Glühwein, which is a wine served warm that they usually have in Christmas.

I also went to Germany recently and loved the Weisswurst, Käsespätzle and Eisbein. I ended up loving their food, I recommend you try these dishes if you can.

Connect Moderator

@VasT Wow.. that's a combination that I would never have thought of! Is this a common dish? It's certainly one to try!! Now all I need is a trip to Germany!! 🙂

Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
Connect Moderator

Hey @Sorbe if you're coming to Manchester for a visit! Don't forget to find us local Local Guides! 

Connect Moderator

Thanks @Ivi_Ge !! And I've now read Nadya's post too on "Where to eat in Kreuzberg, Berlin"!! Yay!! Lovely photos making me hungry! Sadly, my lunch today is going to be oats! #diet

The baked Alaska dessert was nice although I believe the origin of the dish may be American! It certainly has the hallmarks of an American dish.. super sweet! Lol!! It's definitely one to share as I really struggled to finish it!

Connect Moderator

Thanks @Jesi  on the recommended dishes; Weisswurst, Käsespätzle and Eisbein!

I Googled them and the first two sounds lovely, the last .. I'm not sure.. pickled ham hock/knuckles!!! I'm not too worried about what body part it is.. I'm more worried if it's very salty! My palate disagrees with food that are too salty!! I'll need to see if I can get them here in Manchester and try them! 

Thanks a lot @AdrianLunsong , 

I was planning to come in March/April when my football team will be in town. 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!