PeteMHW's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

[RECAP] Manchester LG Feb 2019 Meetup (Clitheroe)

The original banner from the post announcing the event.The original banner from the post announcing the event.

The weather was the best of the winter, with clear skies and sunshine, but cold, when Manchester's Google Local Guides descended on Clitheroe for an orientation visit and photo walk, on February 2nd 2019.

Clitheroe is an ancient market town in rural Lancashire, about 30 miles north of Manchester city centre, but in an almost different world. It sits in The Ribble Valley, with the renowned Pendle Hill to the east, and The Bowland Fells to the west. It's presided over by its 800 year old Norman stone castle, though it's believed there was an older wooden castle on the hill for a couple of centuries before the stone castle was built. The market is an open market, and until recent years the cattle market was held in the town centre, although it's now moved to the edge of town.

The group at the station at the start of the day.The group at the station at the start of the day.

After a brief walk to the ancient market place, the group was surprised by the town crier welcoming them with a traditional town cry.

Clitheroe market has been selling to the local community, and visitors alike, since the 12th Century. We wandered around the market enjoying the atmosphere, while some of us took advantage of the variety of stalls, including finding something for a morning snack. 

Montage of photos taken on the market.Montage of photos taken on the market.

There followed a brief walk to the famous Byrne's Wine Merchants where we were able to explore the maze like sub-street-level cellars with almost every sort of wine known to drinkers, from every wine growing region of the world. We did this with a glass of wine in hand, courtesy of the family ownership, to whom I would like to express our gratitude. 

Montage of photos taken at ByrnesMontage of photos taken at Byrnes

Next, a brief walk via the town centre (where we compared LS Lowrie's pictures of Church Brow with the actual street scene) to The Chocolate Works where, although he was unable to do the short talk he had originally planned, the owner had kindly reserved a table for us, and we were able to taste many of the delicious chocolate drinks and eats.

Montage of photos taken at The Chocolate WorksMontage of photos taken at The Chocolate Works

Simon Entwistle of Top Hat Tours (a well-respected local tour guide and entertainer) met us there, and quickly became a friend. He gave us a well informed tour of many historical places in Clitheroe, including the location of the invention of the jet engine by Sir Frank Whittle, and the barracks of a regiment of foot soldiers stationed in the town centre to quell the cotton riots of 1878 days before the same men were sent to their death in the Zulu Wars in South Africa.

Simon then guided us up the Motte and Bailey castle, with more stories of historic Clitheroe and its development over 1000 years of history. There were magnificent views of the entire Ribble Valley and beyond, including the magnificent Pendle Hill, home of the witch trials of the 1600s, and the location of a recent Dr Who episode.

Montage of photos taken around the castle.Montage of photos taken around the castle.

Finally, and very welcomed, was our visit to Holmes Mill Food Hall, Beer Hall and Hotel. This former cotton mill was the last one working in Clitheroe. On its recent closure it was redeveloped into a modern complex which retains much of its internal industrial heritage. There is a large food hall selling local Lancashire produce alongside some world produce, an ice cream shop, a brewery brewing local ales (which we sampled!) and the UK's longest bar in the beer hall. 

Montage of photos taken at Holmes Mill.Montage of photos taken at Holmes Mill.

The day of orientation and photos ended in the warm atmosphere of The Chimney Room at Holmes Mill, around the blazing fire, and eating traditional Lancashire food and consuming a variety of local drinks.

Meal  around the fire in The Chimney Room.Meal around the fire in The Chimney Room.

The full range of photos taken and shared by the group can be found here, with my thanks.

The photographers were Tim Bull, Adrian Lunsong, Alan Jones, Russell Holden and Peter Williams

Find Clitheroe on Google Maps here

10 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] Manchester LG Feb 2019 Meetup (Clitheroe)

What a great meetup @PeteMHW thanks for sharing the recap. Clitheroe looks like a really cool place to visit that will enjoy a long life with new purpose sprinkled with heritage.

Connect Moderator

Thanks @PeteMHW for putting together this awesome meetup! It certainly has raised the bar on meetups and I don't even think I could even match what you've done!! 

For those reading up on this recap, we certainly had a great time and Pete was super awesome in arranging for the town crier to come and meet us and welcome us with a cry! You definitely need to see the video in the post above! I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first meet up EVER to have a town crier to announce our arrival! Needless to say we were all gobsmacked!! 🙂

I love every stop we had; the wine shop was a hidden trove of anything alcoholic. Even as someone who rarely drinks, I was giddy with excitement! I checked, there were no alcoholic fumes to cause the giddiness! The chocolate store was a sinful stop.. we even had too much chocolate if there was such a thing!! We did miss the sausage shop as it was packed full of customers (I guess we will have to come back for Round 2 🙂 Yay!!) but you certainly made up for it with with Castle tour!

Simon was a great tour host as well with all his history and stories about the place. I learned so much about Clitheroe that day!! And suitably impressed by:

a) the amount of history in Clitheroe

b) the distance you drive to get into Manchester/Stockport for our meetups!!

So, massive kudos to you Pete for an amazing job! I'm sure @TimBull @deadmanjones @RussKH Iain and Zoe are in full agreement!

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Level 10

What a fantastic meet-up we had @PeteMHW thanks for organising it. Even though I was brought up just a few miles from Clitheroe and have visited several times through the years this visit was THE BEST ever. I learnt so much about the town and local folklore.  Not least the Swan and Royal pub in the town centre where the first jet engine was conceived, and that played host to such famous people as Gandhi, Winston Churchill and Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull! I'm looking forward to the next one already!

Russell Holden
Level 7

Thanks @RussKH  and @AdrianLunsong. It was a pleasure to host you all, and a pleasure to "show off" Clitheroe. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @PeteMHW ,

Thank you for sharing your recap with us.

It looks you enjoyed it a lot. I hope all your meet-ups be as fun as this one.

Keep on great posts and enjoy your future meet-ups.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator . Thank you!
Level 8

Level 9

@PeteMHW and what great fun it was! 

Cant get over how we had the town crier walking round with us! was so much fun! 

Manchester UK Local Guides: https://goo.gl/tBYxXm (Come Join us!)
Level 10

A stunning weekend for myself and @ZoeOooe. Thanks for the use of the hot tub! Our holiday cottage was added to Google Maps, and the next day we took a closer look at Pendle Hill.Atop Pendle HillAtop Pendle Hill

Not only was this a new class of meetup, it's an excellent recap. And I still don't regret the hat.

Level 9

@deadmanjones ive only just seen this picture! amazing! 

looks well cool! 

Ps, i may have just got a way of doing 360 photos now! .... watch this space.

Manchester UK Local Guides: https://goo.gl/tBYxXm (Come Join us!)