cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

[RECAP] Manchester LG: Dec 2018 Meetup

Caption: Banner for the quiz eventCaption: Banner for the quiz event

Whooooop!!! Whooooop!!

Last night, Manchester Local Guides gathered together for a last catch up meal before the end of 2018! For our last event, Iain G and I organised a quiz night!! Iain was the quiz master extraordinaire whilst I did the admin work of booking the venue, setting up the event and promoting it locally. Let's just say that general knowledge and I.. we're merely acquaintances and not BFF.

We gathered at The Wharf at 7pm and once all 10 guests (myself included) were present, we then divided ourselves into Team Elves and Team Reindeer through the magical power of the mystical Bah Humbug Santa's hat! 

Team Elves

From left to right; Jess, Pete @PeteMHW, Iain (quizmaster), Alasdair, Zoe, Alan @deadmanjones (I think he was considering the gravity of being an elf Lol).Caption: Team Elves comprising of (L-R) Jess, Pete, Iain (quizmaster), Alasdair, Zoe, AlanCaption: Team Elves comprising of (L-R) Jess, Pete, Iain (quizmaster), Alasdair, Zoe, Alan

Team Reindeers

From left to right; Alain, Iain (quizmaster), Tim @TimBull, David and myself.

Caption: Team Reindeers comprising of (L-R) Alain, Iain (quizmaster), Tim, David, AdrianCaption: Team Reindeers comprising of (L-R) Alain, Iain (quizmaster), Tim, David, Adrian

We then proceeded with Round 1 ending nicely with the starters arriving, had Round 2 during mains and Round 3 during desserts! Team Reindeers took the lead at Round 1 with a 3 points advantage, but Team Elves came squeaking back (I'm assuming that elves squeak!) taking Round 2 and the lead by 1 point! By the end of Round 3, Team Elves advanced their lead by another point, winning the overall quiz by 2 points!

Congratulations to Team Elves!!! 

More photos from the night!Caption: Manchester Local Guides pulling the Christmas crackers!Caption: Manchester Local Guides pulling the Christmas crackers!

Caption: Adrian feeling awesome at the start of the event and pointing to our table of misfits! :)Caption: Adrian feeling awesome at the start of the event and pointing to our table of misfits! 🙂

Caption: Alasdair, Zoe and AlanCaption: Alasdair, Zoe and Alan

Caption: Group photo of Manchester Local Guides at the end of our quiz night!Caption: Group photo of Manchester Local Guides at the end of our quiz night!

Caption: 360 picture of the groupCaption: 360 picture of the group

Caption: Zoe and Alan and their Christmas jumpers!Caption: Zoe and Alan and their Christmas jumpers!

Caption: Alain and Tim.. I've been on soft drinks all night but I feel  like I'm seeing doubles!!Caption: Alain and Tim.. I've been on soft drinks all night but I feel like I'm seeing doubles!!And it wouldn't be a Local Guide event if we didn't have food pictures too!Caption: Satay belly pork (starters)Caption: Satay belly pork (starters)

Caption: Roast turkey (mains)Caption: Roast turkey (mains)

Caption: Roast pheasant breast stuffed with haggis (mains)Caption: Roast pheasant breast stuffed with haggis (mains)

And if you're curious to know what the questions were for the quiz.. and even want to test yourselves, why don't you give it a go! Spoilers: I took the photos at the end of the night so you can see all the answers already!

Round 1 - Local knowledgeCaption: Round 1 questions (page 1)Caption: Round 1 questions (page 1)

Caption: Round 1 questions (page 4)Caption: Round 1 questions (page 4)

Caption: Round 1 questions (page 2)Caption: Round 1 questions (page 2)

Caption: Round 1 questions (page 3)Caption: Round 1 questions (page 3)

Round 2 - Guess the famous personsCaption: Round 2 questions (page 5)Caption: Round 2 questions (page 5)

Caption: Round 2 questions (page 3)Caption: Round 2 questions (page 3)

Caption: Round 2 questions (page 4)Caption: Round 2 questions (page 4)

Caption: Round 2 questions (page 2)Caption: Round 2 questions (page 2)

Caption: Round 2 questions (page 1)Caption: Round 2 questions (page 1)Round 3 - Fill in the blanksCaption: Round 3 questionsCaption: Round 3 questionsNeedless to say, the proof is in the pictures(!), we all had an excellent time! Thank you so much to Iain for organising the quiz!!! It was fun and enlightening!! And how did you fair in the quiz? Did you get all the answers? Let us know in the comments below!!

2018 has been a great year for Manchester Local Guides!! We had tons of events this year:

• January food crawl (meal deals!!)
  • February geo walk (steam trains galore!!)
  • April photo walk (water taxi expedition)
  • May food crawl (pizzas!!!)
  • June geo walk (Stockport.. and air raid shelters!!)
  • September food crawl (coffee, coffee, coffee)
  • November 360 photo walk (Stockport brows!!)
  • December quiz night and Christmas bonanza!

We hope to maintain this if not have more for 2019!! So if you're interested to take part and join in, do let us know in the comments below! And massive thanks to everyone who have been supporting us and taking part in the events!! You are all super stars in my eyes!!

From all of us here in Manchester, we wish you all a pleasant festive break with your family and friends!! And do bear in mind, that at this time of the year, there are folks too who are alone and/or depressed! It is a real mental health issue, so do reach out and share the warmth and comfort of friendship! Smile, say hello, chat... sometimes just a little bit can go a long way!! Wishing you all the very best and may 2019 be an even more awesome year!

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Manchester, UK
4 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: [RECAP] Manchester LG: Dec 2018 Meetup

Nice recap @AdrianLunsong. Thanks for sharing. I can feel your Christmas spirit all the way to Bulgaria. 🙂 I've been making people Christmas postcards for a week already. This is the one I kept for my home:

Caption: Part of my home Christmas decoration and handcrafted lettering Christmas cardCaption: Part of my home Christmas decoration and handcrafted lettering Christmas card 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Like many around the table I was contemplating the gravity of quiz sheets and lit candles!

A great year of memories as a local guide, let's keep the momentum going for 2019.

Level 9

It was great fun!!!! 

bring on the Jan social! 

Manchester UK Local Guides: https://goo.gl/tBYxXm (Come Join us!)
Former Google Contributor

Excellent! Thanks for sharing these gorgeous photos and fun recap @AdrianLunsong!

Glad to see you guys had a good time and congrats to Team Elves! 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!