cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

[RECAP] Let's Map Accessibility

Let's Map Accessibility

Wheelchair with accessible rampWheelchair with accessible ramp

This is the first time in Dhaka that 10 Local Guides joined in an Accessibility Meet-Up. It was the finest moment when we all walked towards the roads and everyone noticed our movement. The pedestrians, shopkeepers, building guards, authority and everyone was inquiring about our walking and this point was great for making any awareness. I think it was the best time for celebrating the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, 3 December.

Meet-Up attendees list:                            DATE – 01/12/18                         Time- 10 am to 02 pm

SL

NAME 

LG LVL

CURRENT ADD

PERMANENT ADD

REMARKS

MD SHAFIUL BASHAR

BASABO,DHAKA

CUMILLA

E.Host

SHAH MD SULTAN

MIRPUR,DHAKA

JAMALPUR

KAZI M. HASAN

TEJGAON

CUMILLA

MOHAMMAD ALAUDDIN

NANDIPARA

CUMILLA

ABUL KALAM AZAD

KHILGAON

CUMILLA

ABDULLAH AL MAMUN

UTTARA

MYMENSINGH

MINHAZUL ISLAM

SHAHZADPUR

CHATTOGRAM

MOJAMMEL RAKIB

MIRPUR

CUMILLA

Photographer

MAHFUZUL ISLAM

UTTARA

GAZIPUR

MONIRUL HOQUE NILOY

MIRPUR

CUMILLA

Photographer

Meet Up starting time with a selfie by @MinhazulMeet Up starting time with a selfie by @Anonymousdiscussion time and reading Meet Up agendadiscussion time and reading Meet Up agenda

We started our meet up's from Bangladesh-UEA Moitry Shopping mall, Kemal Ataturk Avenue, Banani, Dhaka. There was a large open compound in front of the market that is why we chose this as our starting point. We meet there together at 10.00am. We discussed our meet up target and what was our activities. We also discussed our country present circumstances with disabilities facilities, rights, and laws. We shared some rules about disabilities right in Bangladesh and also discussed about the 2018 Theme: Empowering persons with disabilities and ensuring inclusiveness and equality & The 2030 Agenda pledges to “leave no one behind” by UN.

Group photo in front of the rampGroup photo in front of the rampGroup mapping time ...Group mapping time ...

Then we started our walk from the shopping mall. The mall which had an accessible parking area but no ramps for enter into the market inside. Then we find out market authority by following the market security guard. On behalf of the market authority, he supported us and assured us to make an accessible ramp and mark a special parking area for wheelchairs. 

Information updating  on Google MapsInformation updating on Google Maps

Then we noticed maximum of the buildings and business places have no ramps and minimum accessibility for PWDs. Because the maximum of these is aged buildings area and the authority not aware of the disabilities rights of the country. But the new Buildings had partial accessibility like entrance/ parking/parking with an accessible elevator in the absence of accessible entrance. Although we were happy to get some accessible building during our meet up and thought it should increase more to make this city accessible for the PWDs.  So we discussed with them about the disabilities rights and United nation’s 2030 pledges "No one leaves behind” with Sustainable development agenda

Spreading Awareness momentSpreading Awareness moment

We also assist to get Google Maps facilities and how it can be a helpful way for their regular communication if we help disabled by ensuring all citizens rights. This system may build an accessible society for everyone and may throw out our social barriers too. 

We marked some places with Accessibility sign ... Local Guides @MohammadAlauddin  & @BDmafuz showing us the accessibility signWe marked some places with Accessibility sign ... Local Guides @Mohammadalauddin & @bdmafuz showing us the accessibility sign

We also marked some places with our special accessibility sign then we got the appreciation for this initiative by the authority. Hope others will get encouragement to mark accessible facilities to see these mark coz we didn't find any sign for accessible entrance, parking and elevator even where had these facilities. We took so many photos, Accessibility paths photographs besides creating awareness during the Meet-Ups. We updated so many questions together during the Meet-Up.

A special group photo during a Accessibility Meet Up Dec 18A special group photo during a Accessibility Meet Up Dec 18

Then we felt its need for spreading long-time awareness to make the country accessible. There are so many problems besides building facilities like as bad road condition, illegal pedestrian’s walkway, inappropriately installed ramp in our country and I think the same condition in all developing countries in the world. 

So it’s time to work together to make everyone conscious alongside all social development organizations. 

From this Meet-Up, We take a project like to update Maps accessibility information called Let’s Map Accessibility with spreading awareness. Hope we will organize couples of Meet-ups in our country & worldwide sooner.

A beautiful and large rampsA beautiful and large ramps

This Meet Up was a part of ''Worldwide Accessibility Walk [WAW]'' by @EmekaUlor  and thanks him for inviting us with this great concept.

To see the complete Meet Up, don't miss a chance to  visit our album ...

A GIF photo...from the albumA GIF photo...from the album

Special Thanks to @TraciC to encourage us to update Maps Accessibility for the PWDs.

During the Meet Up we deeply missed you @Kamalhasnainee .....

@ShahMdSultan @bdmafuz @MojammelR @Mohammadalauddin  @sworan007 Thanks you all too for joining with me and your all valuable support. 

Let's Map Accessibility!!

Happy Guiding !!!

Banani, Dhaka, Bangladesh
18 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] Let's Map Accessibility

Our project Banner, which we used for the first Map Accessibility campaign in Banani,Dhaka.Our project Banner, which we used for the first Map Accessibility campaign in Banani,Dhaka.

@LucioV @IlankovanT @AlejandraMaria @OmarBD @SalmaanN Hope you all love this ...

Happy Guiding!

2018-11-28.png

Level 10

Congratulations for your successful meetup @ShafiulB! Nice idea to print out accessibility stickers! This is something more than editing a place in maps!

Connect Moderator

@LucioV Thanks dear for your appreciation! I made this sticker to mark places with accessibility coz in our country people is not aware of PWDs facilities and their right. 

Security guards and building staffs were interested to  take a shot After marking a Building with Accessibility sticker .Security guards and building staffs were interested to take a shot After marking a Building with Accessibility sticker .

Happy Guiding!

Googler

Hi @ShafiulB. Thanks for sharing this recap and it's so cool to learn that this was the first accessibility meet-up in Bangladesh as I always thought Bangladesh (at least in Dhaka) has had every type of meet-up. I loved reading that people were interested in what you did!

One note: may I ask that you remove the contact number information? A lot of the data is hidden but still best to remove. 🙂 

Congratulations and thank you again!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 9

Hello @ShafiulB inspiring meet up thank you for sharing with us...

Connect Moderator

@TraciC We are successful that you like it.   Now we got another sprite for Accessibility Meet-Up.

We are working on making awareness first because it's very bad condition here about citizens right in public places. When it is a matter about PRM, it's rarer. But nowadays it improving and we can notice this. But it needs more work globally to make more attention to the state level and building owners to add all citizens facilities in their institutions. 

Google Local Guides are already making this impact by hosting many Accessibility Meet Up. Its really appreciated. Hope more Local Guides will be involve to update  Accessibility information with public level awareness. 

One thing is, we may get the true happiness when we are working for the differently abled people. We got it and felt it during our last accessibility Meet-Up.

Happy Guiding!

Connect Moderator

What a great meet-up and recap, @ShafiulB! I really loved the fact that you all were like a mini army of changemakers, all under the theme of leaving no one behind and trying to help others go beyond the social barriers. I can tell you all really contributed a lot to Maps in order to help others. Kudos!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Connect Moderator

@NirmalTeja Thanks for your valuable comment .

@SP31 You said well and it's our pleasure to do something for the PWDs with Google.  We will try our best to work together for accessible Map.

Keep inspiring...

Happy Guiding!!

Level 8

I am very happy to become a part of this meet-up. I learned many new things from this meet-up. Thanks @ShafiulB for host this type of event and also thanks @TraciC for like our meet-up.
We went many place and try to make awareness. Many people appreciate our work. When we went to 'Star Kabab restaurant' and talk to manager about accessible enterenc he inspired by us and told us he will take to General Manager and make accessible enterenc as soon as possible.
On the other hand we take pictures and try to update Google Maps.
Thanks again to all who pertinent this meet-up.