IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[RECAP] LGC Knowledge Sharing Session

I realized a fact that there are lots of local guides in my area and I was extremely excited! But when I started involving with them much, I got to know that most of them are not aware of Local Guides Connect. This was my initial intention to host a meetup gathering all local guides from my locality and to explain the aspects of it. Initially, not many people registered for the event. I still had an inner thought saying I will be having this meetup even if there is only one participant. As we all know, Connect is 2.0 now and its new features are really awesome. My main motive was to let the people around me network with all other Local guides around the world. When I began my Local Guide journey, there were only less people around me. After getting in to Connect, there are lots of friends even from various parts of the world and we are now like just a Local Guides family. I wanted to make everyone experience this.

Knowledge Sharing SessionKnowledge Sharing Session

On the day of the meetup when I began, there were only two participants @EelamHiphops_Kalai and @Kitthushan. Then the number increased to four @Achyuta, @LVKt@Kabith96@Ubesh07  and then eight @SangeethS@Meshanth  altogether were there. First of all, I asked them who of them are local guides. Few raised their hands and some have attended my previous Monaragala meet up too and that’s where they become local guides. Those who weren’t Local Guides, joined on that day. The first session I explained was about the basics of LG program, especially for the newcomers. Then I asked them about connect. But nobody knew about what it is. Then I gave them the URL to sign in. Some asked about the username whether they can change the name in future. I told you can if you want, and they added their names and created their accounts.

Local Guides in Action - Registering LGCLocal Guides in Action - Registering LGC

Then I explained the difference between mobile and web interfaces. I projected the web interface on a wall and showed them. While explaining, I gave them chances to ask questions too. Then I started the session about navigation panels. How to start a topic, how to tag people and settings on Connect, how to subscribe and various other aspects. I took a little more time explaining about macros. Since it includes some HTML tags. They were really excited to see them.

Then I explained about ethics on Connect on how to behave, what to post and what not to post. I introduced @TraciC & other Google Moderators , Connect moderators and some of our members too..

Fresh Local Guides to the Program :)Fresh Local Guides to the Program 🙂

I explained my local guides journey. At the beginning, I had few friends and now a lot of people are around me including international and local colleagues. I would like to thank LG program for making such a massive change in my life.

Some of my LG friends :)Some of my LG friends 🙂

Then, I trained all eight people based on their interest to make a post on LG connect, attaching photos, sizes of the photos and tools for reducing photo sizes etc.

Some of them gave me a word that based on the RECAP I post on this meetup, they'll also start posting content about meetups they host. Overall I hold the satisfaction of introducing eight new Local guides to connect.

New LG Gang!!New LG Gang!!

The space where the meet up held was iCommunity office which is a non-profit organization adjacent to my home, I had requested my wife to prepare a tea  for all participants and we all had it.

Hoping to do a continuous series of knowledge sharing sessions with many people around.

Happy Guiding!!

Meetup Album

Batticaloa, Sri Lanka
9 comments
Level 7

Re: [RECAP] LGC Knowledge Sharing Session

wow and welcome to local guide family @EelamHiphops_Kalai @Kitthushan  @Achyuta@LVKt@Kabith96@Ubesh07  @SangeethS@Meshant  moreover, connect interfaces are getting cooler. love the new changes. @IlankovanT is the one who inspired me to join the community, thanks... we really enjoy the activities and other events in our community. 

Level 10

Great work @IlankovanT! You are a real LG ambassador! 🙂 I would love to start some sessions like these in Rome!

Level 9

This year you introduced 8 people may your journey goes may goes to next level Inspiring local guide @IlankovanT ...Brand ambassador of local guide ...

Level 9

Thanks for the kind words @LucioV @AsankaJayasuriya, @NirmalTeja 🙂

Asanka we will host a big one in Colbo soon 

Lucio, that's really awesome. Host some knowledge sharing sessions in Rome 🙂

Nirmal, yeh was 8. Hope this will increase more and more soon. 

Level 10

@IlankovanT Good job... 

Level 9

Who's better than @IlankovanT to give such a great knowledge session :-)))

You witness almost all improvements of connect from early days of this program ,

Keep inspire us :-)👍🙂👍🙂👍

Connect Moderator

Great work @IlankovanT

Your meetups always inspires us ! 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Connect Moderator

@IlankovanT Nice one bro . Very helpful i think. Hope we will do something like this in Dhaka/Comilla.

Keep sharing !!!!

Happy Guiding !!!

Level 9

Thank you very much for your kind words @OSAMA@NareshDarji@ShafiulB@AnuradhaP@ShafiulB happy to hear that you like to host on in Dhaka 🙂 I'm sure this will bring more new local guides to LGC from Dhaka/Comilla 🙂