SoniaK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

RECAP: ‘Explore-the-Unexplored’ meet-up

It was an impromptu meet-up for Bangladesh Local Guides.

Monsoon has just started kicking off in Bangladesh. The waterfalls have become live again. The scorching heat has also been a little soothing for the rain. We thought it would be the best time to explore the unexplored.

There are several natural waterfalls in Sylhet and it's surrounding area in Bangladesh. Hum Hum waterfalls, having a distance of approximately 250 km from Dhaka city, is probably the least traveled waterfall near the capital. So we decided on going there.

A team of total 13 backpackers of different ages and physical finesses got together to explore the falls.

On 18 May (Thursday) late at night all the backpacker Local Guides met up at Mohakhali Bus Stand, Dhaka to catch our bus for Sreemangal. Our bus started at 12.35 in the morning. It was an overnight journey. We thought it would be a boring sleepy night, but it turned out to be quite an interesting tour. None of the travelers seem to be tired or fatigued due to lack of sleep at night. And apparently we all had a fun filled time together.

All set to kick off the journey......7- in, 5- yet to show upAll set to kick off the journey......7- in, 5- yet to show up

The bus was almost half full of us, okay, at least quarter, may be?  :PThe bus was almost half full of us, okay, at least quarter, may be? 😛 

We reached Sreemangal at 5.30ish in the morning. The weather was just perfect for a trek. Although it seemed it would rain any moment. We started our next leg of journey, towards Adampur, on a pre-booked jeep.

It was a small jeep for the group size. However, we managed to squeeze inIt was a small jeep for the group size. However, we managed to squeeze in

Even before we could reach half the way, it started raining. And to our surprise, we all loved being soaked in rain. It was amazing how we stood up on the footrest while getting wet in rain and yet enjoying our journey.

We had our breakfast on the way. It probably was not very healthy for an early morning breakfast, but it was delicious. Freshly fried parathas (handmade bread) and thick daal (chickpeas) was a mind blowing combination for a hungry stomach after an overnight journey. And the ongoing rain was just a perfect accompany to go with this.

It took us about one and a half hours to reach the bungalow in Adampur. We were given only 30 minutes to freshen up, to get rid of the sleepless night’s tiredness. The rain was gone by that time and we were lucky enough to see a little sunlight too.

A little refreshment was really soothing on that rain-soaked morningA little refreshment was really soothing on that rain-soaked morning

The same jeep took us to our next destination called Kolapara; another small village from where we were about to start our trek for the falls.

What an amazingly incredible journey it was! There was rain, there were bumpy roads, and there was laughing-talking-singing-teasing and what not. The road went through some tea gardens that gave some extraordinary views as well. We could not resist ourselves from taking a break just for photo shoot.

The tea gardens were so green that we could not stop loving it instantlyThe tea gardens were so green that we could not stop loving it instantly 

And finally when we reached Kolapara, it was middle of the day already. The moment we got off the jeep we found ourselves surrounded by some small kids with bamboo sticks in their hands. We realized that they had come to sell the sticks for us. Each costs 5 taka each, each of us bought one stick for our trek. At around 12.30ish we started our walk towards hum hum falls.

No no, we are not going for a fighting nor are we getting ready for a dance show.....these are our walking sticks :)No no, we are not going for a fighting nor are we getting ready for a dance show.....these are our walking sticks 🙂

The trek begins.

It was a beautiful hilly trail with full of greens around us. We climbed up and down quite a lot while walking. Sometimes the trail was so narrow that two persons could not walk side by side. We had to watch out for leeches. The trail was full of leeches of different varieties. The walk required real good attention or else we would end up being attacked by leeches. Well, we still could not save ourselves fully. Almost all of us were attacked by at least 2 or even more leeches on our way.

The trail was really slipperyThe trail was really slipperyI had to take several breaks for photo shoot after all ;)I had to take several breaks for photo shoot after all 😉

The trail concluded at a stream. We walked through it against the current and it took us to the falls. The total trekking was for about 3 hours. 

20170519_124933.jpgA little rest from time to time was a mustA little rest from time to time was a must20170519_151014.jpg

What should I talk about the falls? 

The water droplets from the falls looked like crystal showers. It was an amazing view! Too bad I didn’t have a waterproof camera with me, or else I would have recorded that view. No word or photo does proper justice to the beauty of that amazing view.

A group photo before we pack up for the day was a mustA group photo before we pack up for the day was a mustThe falls itself- isn't she a beauty?The falls itself- isn't she a beauty?

After spending some really good time there and taking loads of pictures, we took our way back through the same trail. This time it took longer time because we all were very hungry and thirsty. At around 6ish, we reached Kolapara again where we had our lunch.

When we reached Adampur forest bungalow again, it was almost 7.30 PM. The day was long and tiring. But we could see the radiance on all the faces for conquering such a beautiful day.

It was of a grade A (easy) level of trekking with 12.57 km (up and down) trekking. The trekking itself was for 6 hours walking all together. Anybody of moderate level of fitness could conquer the trek very easily.

@MahabubMunna@SShuvo@SalmaRuma @MdLuthfulkabirK @zoburaz and seven other local guides (not in Connect) joined this meet up along with me.

I am already in love with ‘explore-the-unexplored’ meet-up session. We hope to continue this with exploring many more less travelled destination in near future. I will look forward to such meet-ups again eagerly and excitedly.

@TraciC @ErmesT @LucioV @Csaba @AnuradhaP- care to join us next time? 😉

Hum Hum Waterfall, Islampur, Sylhet Division, Bangladesh
22 comments
Level 9

Re: RECAP: ‘explore-the-unexplored’ meet-up

দেখে ভালো লাগলো যে একমাত্র বাংলাদেশকে বা বাংলাদেশের সৌন্দর্যকে বিশ্বব্যাপী তুলে ধরার জন্য সবাই এতো কষ্ট করে এতদূরে মিট আপে গিয়েছিল। @SoniaK

তোমাদের সবাইকে অশেষ ধন্যবাদ এরকম একটা মিট আপের ছবি আমাদের সাথে শেয়ার করার জন্য

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Connect Moderator

If I care? @SoniaK, I would like to leave my job now, to be there with you. At the moment, as I also have to work, I'm with you in spirit, enjoying your beautiful story and your photos. The beauty of your country il filling my eyes and my heart.

Thanks Sonia, for sharing this with us.

Connect Moderator

Pleasure was all ours @Kamalhasnainee. We did not do anything that might give us much 'koshto' or trouble, as you may say it. Whatever we did, we did it for fun only, just how we enjoy contributing in the maps. 🙂

Connect Moderator

@SoniaK Wow !!

You all are the Powerful solders of Local Guides Bangladesh. 

Really a appreciate Discovery!!!

Happy Guiding !!! 

Level 9

I am in @ErmesT just tell me when,

no other word,

what a wonderful Exploring & a wonderful story telling, this post must be a chapter in tourist Book or Site about Bangladesh

@SoniaK

Thank you very much for sharing...

Level 10

@SoniaK thanks a lot apu . for share full story with awesome photos . hope you always guide us our next all tour too 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 10

@YanniY it's out trekking meetup recap wait for your feedback 🙂 

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

@ErmesT, anytime, dude. I love sharing my travel stories with people who enjoy traveling too. It would be really fun to see you guys on that slippery trail, I can't imagine how you would act while sliding on that muddy and slippery trail. 😉 

See this video, you will know what I meant. 

@ErmesT wrote:

If I care? @SoniaK, I would like to leave my job now, to be there with you. At the moment, as I also have to work, I'm with you in spirit, enjoying your beautiful story and your photos. The beauty of your country il filling my eyes and my heart.

Thanks Sonia, for sharing this with us.

Connect Moderator

@OSAMA, you are most welcome too. Don't forget to bring your sneakers and backpack along with a tent and a sleeping bag......we will take you to Nafakhum, another wonderful place in Chittagong Hill tracts. You will be blown away with the beauty and the hospitality of the people up there. Talk about diversity, you will know what a magnificent blend is there with the tribes and the locals- together, they are living in perfect harmony.