JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

[RECAP] Bochum by Night

Now that's what I call a nice way of greeting visitorsNow that's what I call a nice way of greeting visitorsLast Wednesday we held another Meet-up in Bochum (Germany), as follow-up to the 'Surviving the Bermuda Triangle' meet-up in December. Just like the previous time, it was freezing cold and there even was some snow that had fallen the previous night. But did you ever hear of Local Guides being put off by something as trivial as weather conditions? So there we were, this time determined to hunt the city for occasions to take some snaphots in low light circumstances.

As you can see in the picture accompanying this post, the shopping area of the city was welcoming us with a nice big illuminating sign - a perfect test to immediately check if just taking a picture with a smartphone would lead to an acceptable result. If you know that this picture was not edited in any way and no filters were applied and that the smartphone is one in the under $300 range, I am inclined towards a definite yes.

The trip turned out to also be quite educational for me, as I found out, from the other attending Local Guides, a number of highly interesting things about various places in the Bochum city center. One of them was the architecture award-winning underground railway station Bochum Rathaus Süd, which now has some very nice 360 images on its Google Maps entry (if you explore them, you will even see the 3 attending Local Guides captured in the images). The color effects in the walls are very nice to see, as they change from one color to another every few seconds.

Bochum Rathaus Süd underground stationBochum Rathaus Süd underground station

I will definitely revisit that place in daytime to make some other pictures, as the building has a very particular way of bringing daylight in: on the surface there are a number of 'prisms' with glass that is intentionally fractured (a passer-by could easily mistake that for vandalism) to introduce light into the underground construction. In the picture below, showing the Bochum city hall - also not so bad for low light conditions and a relatively cheap smartphone - you can see one of those prisms.

The prism is situated between the lamppostsThe prism is situated between the lampposts

The most amazing moment of the evening was definitely the fact that during our visit of the station, I was able to catch a picture of Star Trek's Starship Enterprise!

Bochum Rathaus Süd entrance hallBochum Rathaus Süd entrance hall

Just kidding of course, it's the entrance hall of the railway station, but you will have to admit that it does have a futuristic element to it.

The Drehscheibe after which the shopping mall was namedThe Drehscheibe after which the shopping mall was namedAnother interesting fact I learned during the meet-up is related to the shopping center called Drehscheibe, which is German for turntable. Turns out this name is derived from a predecessor of what we now know as traffic lights, which you can still see hanging above the streets.

Unfortunately attempts to add this so-called Heuerampel to Google Maps as historic landmark have not been successful, so the 360 pictures taken there are not visible on Maps. 

We also visited Das Labor, a center for education that also is a hackerspace or makerspace (in case you were not yet aware: that's a brand new POI category for that). As Das Labor was already on the map, you can now also see some 360 pictures that were taken at the entrance there. 

On our way back to the car, the final surprise was a perfect illustration of the fact that in everyday life you so often just rush by elements of beauty without even noticing them. 

An old cash register in a shop we walked byAn old cash register in a shop we walked byThis last picture was taken in a shop that I have driven by already hundreds of times without realizing it was there: an amazing antique cash register that stands out immediately when you walk by the brightly lit shop during the evening hours.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Bochum, Germany
8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] Bochum by Night

Great pictures @JanVanHaver ! Especially the ones from the railway....

If it wouldn't been during the week, I would like to attend once, but currently I'm focused to fix my travel to your European Meet Up 😉

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Former Google Contributor

This is awesome @JanVanHaver!

I love the railway station entrance and the fact that you guys were not deterred by the weather. Thanks for sharing the recap and the great photos! 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Former Google Contributor

Hi @JanVanHaver,

Thanks for the tag, it's amazing.

My absolute favorite is the old cash register. I'm sure you had a great time, I can't wait to see the next meet-up.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 7

We seperate the meeting in Woman and Men interst. So not only guys.

Level 7

Betreff: [RECAP] Bochum by Night

Du hast einiges vergessen aber halt keine Bilder gemacht.
Zum einen hatten wir am Anfang ein Kirchenfenster der Pauluskirche ins Visier genommen mit den Männern und die Damenfraktion hat das warme shoppen im größten Bochumer Modehaus bevorzugt.
Das Modehaus ist so riesig mit den vielen Eingängen dass wir uns auf der Suche nach der Damenwelt darin verlaufen haben..Und wirklich das Personal, nach dem Weg für den richtigen Ausgang erfragen mussten. Ich habe mittlerweile für unsere Lokalguidegruppe eine fotografier Erlaubnis eingeholt. Ansonsten sind die Fotos auf Maps illegal. Interessant ist das bestimmt irgendwann mal für diejenigen, die nicht zum Treffen kommen. Aspekte wie Kinderbetreuung und Kino dort sind Dir ncht aufgefallen. Die Getränkespender hast Du ja gesehen.

Die Bilder der Ampel kommen in Maps in 360 nicht so gut, da man dort bislang keinen Startcode eingeben kann. Wenn man es nicht weiss, schaut man nicht nach oben. Zu meiner Hochstativstange mit 5,5m hat leider ca. 1m gefehlt. Dafür ist auf Maps ein schönes Gruppenbild vom Meetup zu sehen.

Das mit dem Rathaus da werde ich in der Facebookgruppe noch ein paar Bilder oder Film hochladen insbesondere habe ich die Tauben im Flug mit 360 in der U-Bahnstation sehr gut erwischt.

Dir ist auch die Tankstelle führ Elektrofahrzeuge entgangen, die direkt neben dem Schrägaufzug positioniert ist. Ich habe die mal Eingetragen jetzt.

Zum Labor ein paar Meter weiter, da ist auch eine Ladestation für Elektrofahrzeuge, Seit Jahren und ich habe auch hier die Gelegenheit genutzt diese mal einzutragen. Sie ist direkt neben der Treppe und kostenfrei. Dort trifft sich ja auch die Gruppe Elektromobilität.
Viele Studenten treffen sich auch regelmäßig im Labor.

Ich und Daniela tüfteln da ja auch schon länger und das Boot von Daniela soll ab Wien auf Solarantrieb umgestellt.werden.
Deswegen sind auch die Openstreetmap Leute integriert, da Google Maps mit den Daten  unbrauchbar ist. Die Openstreetmap Leute treffen sich einmal im Monat im Labor.

Nach dem vielen Technik Kram gab es zum Abschluss noch ein Highlight für die Damenwelt.

Bitte ergänze eventuell noch die Informationen auch dass das nächste Bochumer Monatstreffen vom 28.02.2019 bis zum 04.3.2019 geht. Thema Karneval in Bochum, Düsseldorf und Köln. Da Daniela das Treffen wie letztes Jahr organisiert, wird es auf Guides Connect nicht gelistet werden Sondern nur über die deutsche Facebook  Gruppe. Start ist auf jeden Fall Altweiberfastnacht in Bochum.

Level 7

Betreff: [RECAP] Bochum by Night

Connect Moderator

Great recap, @JanVanHaver! I really like your writing style.

The station is beautiful and I found the Drehscheibe really interesting. I had no idea what was used before traffic lights.

Thank you for sharing this recap!

Connect Moderator

Thanks for the nice words, @Jesi, highly appreciated.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply