SP31's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

Re: RECAP: Accessible Miami [WAW]

Hi @SP31. First, I did read that you were the only person in attendance, but from your recap, photos and information shared, I never would have guessed it which isn't surprising since you're awesome and Local Guides cover a lot of ground.

I, too, noticed some places that were quite inaccessible, too, things that may have been super trendy (and will share my recap soon), but I think Miami has something a little extra in that neighborhood: all of the art that is accessible! What a lovely thing to be able to look at for a bright side.

On being the only one in attendance, I know that sharing about meet-ups could be improved and wanted to reiterate that the team is actively working on improving this experience for everyone.

Thanks for sharing this recap and your thoughts, too! 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Connect Moderator

Thanks so much, @TraciC! Although I was the only one, it was still a great time as I'm never in that neighborhood and I really appreciate your kudos on how much was covered!😊I also appreciate the fact that your team is always working to provide a better experience for us in all regards.😀

But great point about the art that is accessible - it really did make the walk much more enjoyable. There's even art on the trash receptacles that line the street (they also ask that people don't litter, which is awesome!). 

All in all, I am thankful for the opportunity to have hosted it - between the Accessibility session at CL 2018 and this meet-up, I'm learning so much!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 9

@SP31 Great job Steve, proud of you. I too will be posting recap of Accessible Vapi soon. Keep smiling!!

Connect Moderator

Thank you, @PriyankaU 🙂 Looking forward to yours too! 

Hope all is well!

Former Google Contributor

I absolutely adore your post @SP31! It was a very interesting read and a very useful one, because I did pick up some tips and things that I should pay more attention when contributing on Google Maps. Also, I did find your recap, as well as @emeka's, very inspirational, so I'm thinking of focusing more about accessibility from now on. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

😄thanks SO much @KlaudiyaG! I'm so glad that it was not only enjoyable, but provided a lot of insight in terms of implementing accessibility awareness as Guides.😁

Level 9

I have to agree that this is such a great initiative @SP31 that was started by @EmekaUlor! So glad to see that you got to go around Miami making notes of what is accessible! I am wondering, is there any significance to the roosters? It is just an interesting choice of animal for art! Very creative for sure! And of course, I love how you ended this post with donuts 😄 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Connect Moderator

Thanks, @Shirley!😁

It was a great time seeing so many news places and things while scoping out the accessibility options of these places. In regards to the roosters, they're pretty much a symbol when it comes to Cuba and other Caribbean/Latin countries, but the idea to have the statues was started by a Cuban artist named Pedro Damian who was influenced by other statues of animals in other places so he commissioned a 2002 project called Miami Rooster Walk. The statues originally were placed in Downtown Miami but due to vandalism many of them ended up in this neighborhood and in others parts of the world as well. 

And forever on the quest for donuts lol!😋

Level 9

Very interesting about the roosters @SP31! They definitely make a creative art piece. I definitely feel like I've seen them in other cities before! 

Hahaha speaking of donuts, I'm getting hungry!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Connect Moderator

@Shirley I've got just the right solution for that ! 😋