IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[RECAP ] Accessibility Walk ♿

Here we go, my November month accessibility RECAP is live now. I have scheduled to run accessibility meetup every month and for the last few months, I have been doing this. For the month of November, I decided to host an accessibility meetup near the Batticaloa Hospital. 

Batticaloa HospitalBatticaloa Hospital

Before entering to the recap, I would like to write something about accessibility meetups, and who will be benefitted from these contributions.

Contributing accessibility related things will be useful for differently-abled people, pregnant ladies, elders, people who carry luggage to places and etc. On the other side, I’m hosting knowledge sharing sessions with differently able people and educating and training them on Google maps and how it useful for their daily life. I have a habit that whenever I see a place with wheelchair accessible entrances, I do capture those and upload to Google maps right away.
Now let’s talk about the November’s accessibility meetup, as usual, I went to the meetup spot and that time my wife who joined local guides and resumed her contributions very recently came with me. Earlier, I had few other people who have confirmed that they will join this meetup, but no one came apart from @KrithikaA.

Ilankovan & KrithikaIlankovan & Krithika

We had a chance to go inside the hospital with the permission of hospital management. We explained the importance of this meetup and how this will help others, the management really appreciated and gave us a security officer to support this with us. (Since photographs are not allowed normally inside the hospital premises). I was explaining the local guides program and our contributions and many other aspects to them.

We two, myself and Krithika decided to explore the entire hospital and wanted to capture the accessibility-related things. Yes, finally we spent quite a long time on each and every unit and took photographs of those and uploaded to Google map.

Wheelchair accessWheelchair accessWheelchair accessWheelchair accessWheelchair accessWheelchair access

Earlier there was not much accessibility related photos added to google map to this hospital, but with this meetup, we reached a considerable number. I’m sure this contribution will help many people around this place who are in the real need of accessible entrances.
The saddest part of it was, there were no other participants other than Krithika. I would like to pay a humble request from my fellow local guides to give importance to attend / host meetups on accessibility and help millions around the globe. Thank you.

Thank you @EmekaUlor for making more accessibility-related contributions to map and thank you @TraciC for encouraging us to make more accessibility contributions to Google Maps.

For more photos, please check this album

Batticaloa, Sri Lanka
5 comments
Level 8

Re: [RECAP ] Accessibility Walk ♿

Hey @IlankovanT

Thanks for Sharing.  Good Job Bro 🙂

Former Google Contributor

Another wonderful recap @IlankovanT! Thank you so much for sharing. By the way, it's great to hear that the hospital stuff were so open and willing to cooperate.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Once again a fantastic Recap of a walk for great cause. For us this is not just a post, but the way to learn more , that how we can help people who really need our help.

And if more people join meetups like that, we all can learn more by the discussions and activities.

Thank you so much @IlankovanT for sharing the great post.

Nandri and shukriya

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 9

Thank you @rajuroyal@KashifMisidia@KlaudiyaG for the kind words.

Yes @KlaudiyaG they supported us to update this 🙂

@Kashifmisidia thank you and I'm planning to host a big accessibility walk soon with our fellow local guides in Sri Lanka 🙂

Former Google Contributor

I completely agree with you @KashifMisidia! This is one of the reasons why I love reading accessibility recaps that much. I always find them very beneficial and they definitely helped me improve the way I contribute to the Map, when it comes to accessibility.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!