EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

[RECAP] Accessibility Walk Lekki Beach

Caption: Families and friends came out to catch some fun. the Lekki beachCaption: Families and friends came out to catch some fun. the Lekki beach

Beautiful Beach Sands

Lekki Beach was once the most popular beach in Lagos. Then there were basically two main beach attractions with proximity to the large populace. Over the years private owned water recreation spots have emerged along the Lagos Atlantic corridor. Nevertheless, residents still come out to have some fun. Some earthworks are ongoing and I think it's going to wear a new look soon.

From the gate, there's a motorable path which was graded to enable movement of vehicles and wheelchair users. It leads to a parking area and that's the end. People on wheelchairs or special mobility equipment cannot go closer to feel the ocean breeze and the twirling aqua. 

After a brief walk and admiring the large expanse of white sands. We took some 360 photos and water splashes on our feet then did a reconnaissance of the neighbourhood.Caotion: Sands at the Lekki Beach looked like the Sahara Desert sandsCaotion: Sands at the Lekki Beach looked like the Sahara Desert sands
Elegushi Modern Plaza

Beside the open market, there was a modern plaza facing the major highway. We took a walk right inside to see what it looks like. There were shops and outlets but lockedup for the holidays. Some of the shops had "For Rent" at the doors too. Although,the shop fronts are paved, there were no accessible signs, parking or trails.

We visited the popular Art & Craft Market behind the plaza but the shops were locked, it's a holiday, we almost forgot. We hope to organize a dedicated meetup for this.

Caption: Shops at the Elegushi Modern PlazaCaption: Shops at the Elegushi Modern Plaza

Circle Mall

Circle Mall is a large shopping complex with the presence of numerous international and national  brands. The popular grocery store Shoprite and eatry Rhaspody have outlets here. Fun seekers were moving in, out and within the facility. Children were bouncing inside a ballon castle specially provided for the holidays.

Interestingly, the mall is an all inclusive place with dedicated accessible parkings, entrances and restrooms.Caption: Dedicated  accessible Parking Spot with close ramp at the Cirle MallCaption: Dedicated accessible Parking Spot with close ramp at the Cirle Mall

Cation: One of the biggest grocery shops located inside the Circle Mall,LagosCation: One of the biggest grocery shops located inside the Circle Mall,Lagos Lagos Traffic Returning

The city of Lagos has been half full during the Yule Tide with less stress on traffic especially on the Island. We decided to stay longer with the confidence of getting home earlier than normal. We took the pedestrian brigde and guess what...oh Nooooo! 😀 Holiday is over!!

Caption: Cars in a traffic jam beside the Circle Mall, LekkiCaption: Cars in a traffic jam beside the Circle Mall, LekkiEnjoy the album and thank you for reading. If you ever visit Lagos, don't forget to see the beaches, art market and malls too!

#OneAccessibility

Emeka 

Lekki, Nigeria
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] Accessibility Walk Lekki Beach

@EmekaUlor

Again a fantastic recap! Thank you for this nice picture and beach side story.

Great! Maybe 2019 is time for me to create more meaningful meetups with a little bit more sense. I feel that there are to many party meetups created by me 🤔..... 

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

Another Great initiative and than Recap, many congratulations to you brother @EmekaUlor .

Soon I m going to host my next accessiblity & map editing walk in Karachi.

Thank you. 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 8

Hi @EmekaUlor
Fantastic recap with the nice photographs of beachside story. 

Keep continuing brother. 

#LetsGuide

#LocalGuides | #LetsGuide | #Bangladesh |#BangladeshLocalGuides | #SoundOfBeautifulBangladesh
Former Google Contributor

Hey @EmekaUlor,

Great recap, thanks for sharing!

I hope the holiday didn't take you too much by surprise, and i guess it meant there were more people on the beach. 

It's great to see that the big mall had designated handicap parking and a ramp right next to it. 

Unfortunately the beaches are one of those places that tend to get left behind, and people in wheelchairs usually don't have the best condition here.

I've seen pathways of concrete on other beaches for wheelchair users to be able to go all the way to the water.

What do you think a good solution could be?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

@TorM thank you for the commendation. Well, I love a Fun filled meetup like yours. Yes, you can add accessibility or any other activity too.. Hope to see more of your landscape photos in 2019.

@KashifMisidia I am glad you are also a great Local Guide. Your support is appreciated always.

@MdAtikuzzamanLimon thank you. 🙏

@MortenSI there two options for PwD get around those sandy beaches. Create an eco-friendly walk path with carpets or hard surfaces to enable smooth movement. Secondly, they can provide special wheelchairs with all terrain tyres which can manoeuvre around the sands and water too. I'd write about  these issues in our forthcoming series of posts.

I think the hard paths are a great way to start @EmekaUlor, it will at least allow wheelchair users to experience most of the beach. 

These all terrain wheelchairs sound interesting, I've never heard about them. If such a chair will allow users to manoeuvre freely across the beach that would be amazing. 

I will be on the lookout for your future posts on this subject, and ones again thanks for sharing.   

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Thank you @EmekaUlor for sharing this great meetup recap with us. I really loved viewing your photos.

Namaste, 
Niraj

Connect Moderator

@NirajBhusal Namatse! 

Grateful for your kind words.

Hey @EmekaUlor,

Thanks for sharing another great recap!

I'm intrigued to read more about the all terrain wheelchairs and the outcome. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!