EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

RECAP: Accessibility Viewing Meetup

In line with our Worldwide Accessibility Walk #WAW events to highlight inclusiveness in our society. We attended a film viewing event hosted at the American Corner in Yaba, Lagos Caption: An image of Richard Turner playing himself in the filmCaption: An image of Richard Turner playing himself in the film

We watched the American Documentary titled DEALT! This film is a visual story about the famous magician Richard Turner who performed at public places like a normal person but was totally blind.

He lost his sight gradually as a child until his vision went "black". It was difficult for him to accept that he could no longer see. Despite his current situation, he never gave up, Richard learned how to shuffle cards and went on to become a magician. Mr. Turner performed at public places within and outside the U.S becoming one of the best card magicians in history.

Many of his admirers and spectators never knew he was blind because he refused to use a walking stick. He relied mostly on his son and wife walking side by side with him. At a point his sister also lost her vision. She learned how to live a normal life,on her own, with the help of a dog and accessible gadgets. She later thought Richard how to use an accessible computer!

Richard Turner earned a black belt, won the top magicians award and lived a normal life.

Caption: Two guests at the Film Viewing meetupCaption: Two guests at the Film Viewing meetup

This is a film everyone needs to see. Local Guides and other attendees were asked to share their thoughts about the film.

Caption: Emeka speaking to attendees after watching the DEALT at the American.Corner in LagosCaption: Emeka speaking to attendees after watching the DEALT at the American.Corner in Lagos

Afterwards, I addressed the attendees on the need to help people like Richard by advocating for accessible society. I explained how Local Guides are contributing towards an inclusive world by adding information which would aid people with disability to live like Richard Turner.

Caption: Interview with one of the guests who is reporter for a national newspaperCaption: Interview with one of the guests who is reporter for a national newspaper

Finally, one of the attendees who was a reporter requested to know more about the Local Guides and our accessibility Meet ups. Chinyere promised to write about accessibility as a way to enlighten Nigerians about inclusiveness. Ten people watched the film..

Although phones are not allowed in the centre, we got a few images. See Photos

Here's a link to the publucation of this event as published in one of Nigeria's major Daily Newspaper

Thank you to Walson for attending and also to Ibrahim who came but couldn't locate the actual floor.

Let's Guide better!

Has anyone else watched this stirring film? @AlexaAC @Sorbe @VasT @AriMar 

Lagos, Nigeria
5 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: RECAP: Accessibility Viewing Meetup

Hi @EmekaUlor,

How did you like the film? Were you many attendants? You could add photos to your post to make it more appealing! Can't wait to hear more.

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hey @EmekaUlor,

Thank you for sharing this feel-good recap. I'm aware of Richard's story, but have not watched the film. I will, however, make a point of watching it soon. Thanks again for your charisma and willingness to help others. This is what it is all about after all, isn't it? 😊

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Thank you for tagging me into this meaningful post @EmekaUlor.

I had a friend who suffered from the same disease, and it was really hard for me realizing that he was gradually losing his eyesight. 

Never seen this movie, but I would definitely add to my list. Reminded me a little bit of "Scent of a Woman", a remake of an old Italian movie with Al Pacino playing the part of one military that lost his eyesight during a training accident. If you haven't seen it I will advise you to do it as it's really inspiring and poetic. 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Thank you for adding more info @EmekaUlor, I haven't watched the film but now I am triggered :). It looks like a very inspiring documentary.

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Nice job @EmekaUlor have seen the movie advert but nerve get chance to watch it, thanks for sharing