Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

[RECAP] Abuja Pottery Expedition

Thursday 13th December 2018. 

Weather, Clear as Day. 
Local Guides converging at RendezvousLocal Guides converging at Rendezvous
D-day for what will remain the longest photo-walk for sometime. 

By 7:00 am @Silooobaba and @MusingsOfEnigma were already waiting at the Rendezvous. 

Within minutes the number doubled then tripled till we were at capacity. 

A little stocking up at a nearby retail outlet. 

A little shot before the shotsA little shot before the shots

A little Introduction before take-off
soon we got to know ourselves. 

Marching on....
Introductions and Greetings!Introductions and Greetings!

With two vehicles we set off for a long drive of over 150 Km north. 

A travel break and the mapping continuesA travel break and the mapping continues

Further and further we went, to parts of the country I've never been before, just on the outskirts of Abuja. 

after about 60 Km we got to a pottery center 

Map view after place was addedMap view after place was added

It was called the Ladi Kwali Pottery Center .
Ladi Kwali is the name of a woman whose portrait appears on our currency (the 20 Naira note) the pottery center is named after her, in recognition of her contributions to the industry. 

Ladi Kwali appears on the Nigerian 29 Naira noteLadi Kwali appears on the Nigerian 29 Naira note

A guide at the pottery center gave us a brief history and tour of the place. 

Group photo with the guide and historianGroup photo with the guide and historianAfter mapping and taking pictures for about an hour, we had to go, as the journey ahead was still daunting 
360 Photos and virtual tours of the center

Off we went another 80 Km further north, till we got to Paiko our main destination. 

The paiko pottery village and textile village. It was a most amazing sight to behold. 

you can read about my thoughts/ reviews on the place here

we began to map and take pictures immediately, going all over the entire village and discovering marvelous works of pottery and textile 
Local guides capturing the actionLocal guides capturing the action

Each household had something to show us

Local guide @usualSuspect  takes a pose with a potLocal guide @usualSuspect takes a pose with a pot

So many good works to see and take pictures of

So many good pictures to takeSo many good pictures to take

One cool thing was how nice the people were towards us. They were so friendly 

The children came together for a group selfieThe children came together for a group selfie

From door to door to explored and everywhere and every household was busy with either pottery or textile works, it felt like a village within an industry. 

everyone had a Pot and was busyeveryone had a Pot and was busy

The finished pots all looked excitingly beautiful. 

beautiful clay potsbeautiful clay pots

Lots of 360 photos were captured here
here is a link to view the 360's

Local Guide Silas @silooobaba takes a 360 shotLocal Guide Silas @silooobaba takes a 360 shot

we spent hours touring the village, and only gave up when we got exhausted 

Local Guides resting after a really long walkLocal Guides resting after a really long walk

The tropical sun was at its peak, heating up everything very quickly. That was the condition when we decided to leave the village and start yet another journey back to Abuja city. 
A water fall had been on our way coming to the village so we decided to take a little detour to explore and map the water fall. 

It was the Gurara waterfalls , it was so much cooler and refreshing, we spent very little time here 

Local Guides chilling in the cooler weather of  Gurara water fallsLocal Guides chilling in the cooler weather of Gurara water falls

Local Guides Nkenna and Silas Climbing a flight of  natural stairs at Gurara and looking all exhaustedLocal Guides Nkenna and Silas Climbing a flight of natural stairs at Gurara and looking all exhausted

We left in good time and hurried back to Abuja city. 
The photo-walk had been more of an endurance journey than Mapping.

many thanks to all the Abuja Local Guides who showed up and made the meet-up successfully despite being on a weekday. Cheers.   

@rajuroyal @MortenSI @JAHEDx

Abuja, Nigeria
8 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: [RECAP] Abuja Pottery Expedition

Hi @Anonymous,

Thank you for sharing your Recap! 

It was a long meet-up, and you did a lot. It is so inspirational that the heаt didn't stop you.

I love the photo with kids,and I would like to take a look on the refreshing waterfalls. Can you share some?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Hello @Anonymous

Amazing  wow 🙂 Superb Photography and Nice Description!!

Thanks For Shearing 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @MashaPS. Here are some pictures from the waterfall. By LocalGuide @usualsuspectBy LocalGuide @usualsuspect

By LocalGuide @usualsuspectBy LocalGuide @usualsuspect

By LocalGuide @usualsuspectBy LocalGuide @usualsuspect

Level 9

Hi @Anonymous
Thank U So Much For Ur Abuja Pottery Expedition
You & Your Team Did A Very Good Job, Highly Appreciated
Beautiful Place With Beautiful People, Thanks Again For Ur Recap Post.

Generated using https://ndsmyter.be/local-guides-banner/
JAHED HOSSAiN - THiNK Better - DO Better - FEEL Better
Instagram || FaceBook || Twitter || Linkedin || YouTube || My WebSite
My Local Guides Connect ID || My Google Maps ID || My Popular Post
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @rajuroyal I'm glad you like it. @JAHEDx I appreciate the kind words. 

Level 7

Welldone Nkenna! Very nicely done. I love the Bwari pots, great for deco and for plants. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @adaokoli. They sure would be nice for your Gardening. 

Former Google Contributor

Thanks for sharing @Anonymous and thank you for the tag!

I was looking forward to this recap, and I'm so glad you shared it. It's great to see so many people showed up despite it being on a weekday. 

I loved the photos too, this was a great read for me! 

Can't wait to see what you have in store for us next.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!