Peterthehagrid's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Question on temporarily closed restaurants

I live in an area where several restaurants close down over the summer and reopen in the fall for college students. I want to update all of their hours/dates open but see no easy or convenient way. This could also be considered for seasonal places like ice cream shops. Is there a method to do this that I'm unaware of?

Peter

------------------------
Peterthehagrid
Alfred, New York, NY, United States
13 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Question on temporarily closed restaurants

Level 10
Solution

Hi @Peterthehagrid this option is reserved to Google MyBusiness owners, that can manage special hours (eventually forcing holidays or season closure): https://support.google.com/business/answer/6303076?hl=en

Level 5

So several of the restaurants have a very limited online presence, to the point where even the restaurants that have websites don't mention the closure or different hours. There's no way around this as someone trying to update locally?

------------------------
Peterthehagrid
Level 10

Level 5

I finally found all the other discussion posts that confirmed what you said. I'll have to see if I can convince some of them to claim their business. Thanks!

------------------------
Peterthehagrid
Level 9
Level 9

@Peterthehagrid wrote:

Is there a method to do this that I'm unaware of?

The correct procedure for a Local Guide who comes across a business which is closed for the season is to mark it as Permanently Closed. That may sound strange as the place is obviously not 'permanently closed', however ignore the wording. Doing this won't delete the listing from the map it will just be hidden to some extent from category search results. 

Up to two weeks before the start of the next season, the listing can then be marked as open again.

This procedure can also be used on any business closed for more than two weeks, eg one being renovated.

Level 5

@Pea So I finally got around to marking them as closed and I definitely do not think I did it correctly. Is there a way to reverse it or for someone of higher rank to just nullify my changes in order to start over? I think I selected mark permanently closed, and then as private, intending it to mean a private reason, not that it is now a private establishment. Now I can't even observe the two restaurants I edited and they don't show up in my edit contributions. The two restaurants are "ZIPPY'S, Church Street, Alfred, NY" and "Panda Chinese Restaurant, North Main Street, Alfred, NY". Any help/suggestions?

------------------------
Peterthehagrid
Level 9
Level 9

@Peterthehagrid wrote:

Now I can't even observe the two restaurants I edited and they don't show up in my edit contributions.

Sounds like they've been deleted in which case they can't be brought back. If they're seasonal and currently closed then wait until they reopen and create new listings

Level 5

The entries themselves are still there I just can't view or edit any of the information. So I can't delete them, or bring them public again. The information no longer shows up on a google search so I will take your advice for when they are opening back up. 

------------------------
Peterthehagrid
Level 8

Hi @LucioV: I read the article, and while it dose address "Special Hours"  I don't see any mention of "Seasonal Closures".

QUESTION # 1:  Has anything ever been done about this? I have a large number of business in my area (along the ocean in NJ, USA) that close for the winter and before I start marking them  Closed, I wonder if there is any chance a "Closed for the season" might magically appear.

Question # 2: If I do mark them closed,and next year, when they reopen, Will the photos and more importantly the Street View tours still be there?