SeaGypsySuz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Question on Lists

As I formulate my ideas of coordinating volunteering efforts around the world, I have some questions on Lists.

Do you have to be a Local Guide to make a List?

If I make a List under a nonprofit organization (which is already on the map)...

Who can see that list?

Who can edit that list? 

Is there a way to broadcast those List via other social media channels

IMG_20180905_192133.jpg

Can those Lists be consolidated, or sorted by category, like "volunteering opportunities" via region?

Lastly, would Google be willing to make a tutorial video showing people how to make lists?

Sorry, photo couldn't be deleted...

Mexico
4 comments
Level 10

Re: Question on Lists

@SeaGypsySuz You can refer to this post below to read more about Shared Lists

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/News-Updates/It-s-here-for-you-make-and-share-lists-on-Google-...

Regarding your questions, answers below. Hope it helps.

> Do you have to be a Local Guide to make a List?

No, one doesn't need to be a Local Guide to make a list, it's a Google Maps feature. However, one needs to be signed into a specific Google account, as the information is stored in a specific Google account. (G Suite users at the moment cannot use this feature)

> If I make a List under a nonprofit organization (which is already on the map)...

Lists are tied and stored in a Google account for the Maps app.   

> Who can see that list?

Each list that we create can be set to Private, Shared, or Public independently. Private lists are for our own personal consumption. Shared Lists allows us to share the link to the specific list as a URL. Public lists are viewable by others on our Maps profile.

> Who can edit that list? 

Only the creator and owner of the list can edit the specific list, which is tied to a specific Google account

> Is there a way to broadcast those List via other social media channels

If a list is set to Shared or Public, you can share the link to that list. It will be in the form of a URL.

> Can those Lists be consolidated, or sorted by category, like "volunteering opportunities" via region?

One can create different list for different collections of locations. Currently there is no grouping or sorting. You can however name the list appropriately and provide sufficient description to identify the list.

> Lastly, would Google be willing to make a tutorial video showing people how to make lists?

Haven't seen one, but it could be available. The link provided above should cover a lot of the basics.

> Sorry, photo couldn't be deleted...

For posts in Connect, you can edit, place your cursor after the photo and backspace until the photo is deleted. Or try to select the photo with your mouse and delete. 

Level 8

Thank you for replying to my questions.  When I was at the Connect Live Event, the PM for Lists invited me to contact him directly if I needed help in making Lists work for my Global Volunteer/Charity initiative.  Stupidly, I did not get his name! #@@#@^*  He had longer black hair and glasses.  If you can help me get in touch with him, that would be greatly appreciated.

I did follow your directions on List Making and was able to create a public test list (it resides under Marina Mazatlan).  When I go back to search for my public test list, I cannot find it anywhere, however!  Where does this list show up because I cannot get to it from the Marina Mazatlan page or my Google profile.

To make my project work in the Google Maps software, I need

Lists that are easy to find

Lists that can be editable by multiple users

It would also be nice to have

Lists that were searchable

Icon on Map showing Voulnteering Opportunities

Level 10

@SeaGypsySuz For each list, you can share and get the URL link to each list. You can then share that URL link to any social media or web site or messaging platform.

For examples of sharing a list, you can read this recent post of vegetarian food

Regarding how to find a list from a profile, we just reported some issue on this today. Read and follow this post

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Display-Public-Saved-Lists-on-Maps-profile/...

Level 8

Hi Stephen!

I appreciate the information you provided.  However, I'm hoping to get in touch with the Project Manager heading up lists.  He invited me to contact him specifically about my charitable donations/volunteering opportunities lists initiative.  I have several hundred people (other sailing women) interested in helping to teach nonprofits, schools, orphanages, etc., to create their specific needs list/volunteering opportunities lists.

There are so many people, especially world travelers, who would like to help people by either donating their time or bringing needed things with them 

If Google Maps could show via icon (user enabled) Volunteering opportunities or Donations needed lists by location, that would be so powerful.  It could be World changing!

My problem is that there is very little functionality within Lists.  I would like lists to be searchable and sortable. 

It would also be good if the list was editable by more than one person.  

The PM seemed very excited by my idea and indicated that he wanted to help me.  I'm hoping this request can get pushed up to him so that some enhancements can be made within Lists.

Your help in getting this recognized and elevated in the Connect Live forum would be greatly appreciated.