oscarbeltruy's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Quest for the very best Pastor in Merida, Mexico

When traveling to Merida - For those whom may concern it's a 3 hours-drive from Cancun and Playa del Carmen - don't forget to try the "Pastor". (But what the heck exactly it's the "Pastor"?) Well, will be the best thing you'll eat in your entire life. It's simply, it's cheap and you can find them from a street carts to the fine restaurants.  

The 'Pastor" is an achiote-marinated meat that’s formed into a trompo (literally “top,” referring to its shape) and cooked slowly on a vertical spit, sliced and served with a chunk of roasted pineapple on corn tortillas.

In tacos or tortas (bread) it's simply an addictive flavor bomb sparkled with charcoal-grilled onions served as food to feed the soul - And the best thing - for less than a dollar. Don't forget the habanero spectrum of salsas to dress our marvelous national treasure

My favorite spots in Merida:

Chelo's Polcanes - Rounded soft dough filled with pastor

IMG_2513.JPG 

Taqueria Michel - Torta de Pastor

IMG_3340.jpg

Los Trompos - Nachos al Pastor

IMG_3400.jpg

Los taquitos de PM - Nachos al Pastor, torta de pastor and pizza de Pastor (Or ask for the Pizzanocha)

IMG_3356.jpgIMG_3357.jpgIMG_5681.JPG

Oscar Beltruy - Food & Travel <<Follow me on Instagram>> Lastest Post Salva vidas donando tus tapitas de plástico 

8 comments
Level 9

Re: Quest for the very best Pastor in Merida, Mexico

¡Por los clavos de la cruz! Esto md abrió el apetito, @oscarbeltruy; probaría todo, hasta la pizzanocha (¡qué nombre tan cómico!).

¿Ha probado alguna vez el shawarma? La técnica de la preparación de la carne en un trompo me recuerda a ese platillo del Medio Oriente

Beatriz Aguilar | bandera-de-venezuela-imagen-animada-0001| Instagram
Former Google Contributor

Hi @oscarbeltruy,

Wow, words can't describe how absolutely delicious this looks! Thanks so much for sharing the great pics! I'm prepared to try everything!😁

That said, I'm not familiar with all of these dishes, but I guess you can try them with beef, pork or chicken?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Hola!! Claro que lo he probado y está super rico! Precisamente es el mismo modo de preparación pero los condimentos son diferentes (en el pastor es achiote y limón. El achiote es de color rojo rojo por eso se ve así) Espero poder escribir más por aquí. Saludos!! 🙂

Oscar Beltruy - Food & Travel <<Follow me on Instagram>> Lastest Post Salva vidas donando tus tapitas de plástico 

Level 9

@oscarbeltruy he visto por la televisión la forma de armar el taco al pastor, con las lascas de carne y la piña al final. Supongo que es carne vacuna. Y también supongo que la combinación de piña y carne funciona porque el lomo de cerdo ahumado combina con piña en almíbar. Mi pregunta es ¿La piña del taco al pastor es dulce con almíbar o al natural?

P.D para responder directamente a un comentario, es mejor utilizar el @ seguido del nombre de la persona a la cual desea "invocar"

Beatriz Aguilar | bandera-de-venezuela-imagen-animada-0001| Instagram
Level 8

Hi! You can try with the 3 of them, but I definitely recommend with pork. If you coming to Mexico you'll found out that the 'Pastor" it's different from zone to zone. Eg. Different seasoning from the Center (CDMX) in comparison with the southeast region (Yucatan, Campeche and Quintana Roo). Regards! 🙂

Googler

Oh my goodness, @oscarbeltruy. You have made me SO very hungry! Thanks for this post and for giving me a mission to come to Merida sooner instead of later. 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 8

Hi @TraciC ! Yes you should and try the cochinita as well! 

Level 8

@BeatrizAguilar jaja! Gracias! Estoy acostumbrándome al foro 🙂 El Pastor es sólo carne de cerdo. La piña técnicamente debe ser natural, pero a veces utlizan la de almibar. Imagínate la combinación de unas toritllas de maíz hechas a mano, la jugosa carne de pastor, lo dulce de la piña, cebolla cortada en cuadritos con cilantro y sazonada con una salsa roja mediamente picante... Una delicia!