NurseitN's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Promoting and popularizing Local Guides program in Kazakhstan

Hi all!

I don't know what people at Google will say to this, but I'll take a risk and share my story.

I work in uni and from time to time I go with the Admissions office for recruitment trips around Kazakhstan. I am supposed to give a talk on something that would raise potential applicants' interest in my uni.

So during my last trip I decided to tell high school graduates about my participation in Local Guides program. I showed them videos and photos from my trip to SF as well as showed them how I make maps better by sharing my reviews, photos, etc.

Wow! There were about 100 teenagers with parents in the hall and they were so excited by this. It was a real show to be honest!!!

So in the end of my talk I asked kids who has the largest number of contribution points in GMaps.

One guy had written about 10 reviews and that was it!

So to mark his contribution I gave him some Google souvenirs I got from my Connect Live event. See photo below.

Just sharing my story. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

IIKR5510.JPG

Almaty, Kazakhstan
7 comments
Level 9

Re: Promoting and popularizing Local Guides program in Kazakhstan

@NurseitN you did that from the heart, congratulations!

What was the most interesting reaction or question of the young students about the program of local guides that you remember the most?

Beatriz Aguilar | bandera-de-venezuela-imagen-animada-0001| Instagram
Level 8

Thanks. It was very funny.

I began by saying that I am a new guy in their city.

Without asking them, I then listed some of the best local restaurants for Russian, Georgian and Japanese cuisine. I even said which attractions are the best in city and shared some tips about when is the best time to visit, how much for the tickets, etc.

Next, I asked if they could confirm all of this! They were surprized and asked how do I know all this????

I said Google Maps 🙂

Level 9

Hehehe, I am new on the town too, @NurseitN and using google maps, I was able to get to know places even the locals of the city don't know that exist.

Beatriz Aguilar | bandera-de-venezuela-imagen-animada-0001| Instagram
Former Google Contributor

This is so sweet of you, @NurseitN. Thank you for sharing. I'm sure your love for the Local Guides program impacted them. I hope the students get curious after meeting you.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

Very good job indeed @NurseitN

Thank you for sharing with us.

Level 8

Level 7

Wow that's a really good step to promote the Local Guides Program. Kudos to you!!

Sulaiman Abubakar Salihu