SeanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

Points for Panoramio photos

I've got around 50 photos on Google Maps through Panoramio. I can see these photos in my Google Maps contributions, so my accounts are definitely linked correctly. However, their addition doesn't seem to reflect in my score. My points only recognise the number of photos I've contributed directly to Google Maps.

Will the scores be updated as part of Panoramio closing down?

41 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 7
Solution

Re: Points for Panoramio photos

Probably if you go to Panoramio, and change the coordinates of a photo to a POIs coordinates using the snap feature (http://blog.panoramio.com/2012/04/cross-posted-from-google-lat-long-blog.html) that would make the job done.

But with this approach the original and correct coordinates are lost...

There should be a way to keep a photo both correctly geotagged and linked to a certain place. And that feature should be available in Google Maps when uploading a new photo...

View solution in original post

Level 2

I have the same question. My Panoramio pictures were linked to my google account but they dont make any points. I hope Google soon correct the situation.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @ThierryK @SeanT as per the Help Centre,  panaramio photos will only count for Local Guides points when tied to a point of interest or business. 

Level 7

@YanniY

The problem is that many photos from Panoramio that should be linked with certain POIs, are not. And there is no way to link a photo with a POI through Google Maps.

It would be ideal if it was possible to keep the original coordinates of the photo that correspond to the location at which the photo was taken and additionally to link the photo with a POI relative with its content...

The current implementation lacks of crucial features in my opinion!

Level 3

I can't see a way to link them through Panoramio either. Without the ability to link those photos to points of interest, Google has a system which encourages people to re-upload photos. That wouldn't lend itself to working towards a tidy and complete database.

Level 7
Solution

Probably if you go to Panoramio, and change the coordinates of a photo to a POIs coordinates using the snap feature (http://blog.panoramio.com/2012/04/cross-posted-from-google-lat-long-blog.html) that would make the job done.

But with this approach the original and correct coordinates are lost...

There should be a way to keep a photo both correctly geotagged and linked to a certain place. And that feature should be available in Google Maps when uploading a new photo...

Level 3

Thanks, but that's not always going to work. The generally accepted (albeit certainly not by everyone) solution for picking a location in Panoramio, is to select where the photo was taken from. The snapping system is more concerned with the subject of the photo.

However, I've found a picture I was willing to test on. It's a photo of a train station, taken from a station platform. I've now got to wait a while (few hours? couple of days?) for it to be selected for Google Maps (assuming that's still happening from Panoramio!) I'll report back...

PS - The photo I'm testing with has its original location and the snapped location marked. This may solve my initial problem, though that may be a limited thing during its review for Google Maps. I tread gingerly...

Level 7

@SeanT

In Panoramio the suggestion was to place the photo on the map at the location taken, not of the subject as you said.

That's not possible in Google Maps...

Panoramio will stop working soon and they will take it down next year. So the question now is how do you place a photo to the correct coordinates and at the same time link it to the right place in Google Maps. Even if there is a workaround via Panoramio that won't last forever.

Level 3

In Panoramio the suggestion was to place the photo on the map at the location taken, not of the subject as you said.

I said the location where the photo was taken, not of the subject.

Level 7

Yes, I know.

The "as you said" referred to the first part of the sentence not the second. I should have also used a comma before "as you said" in order to make the phrase "not of the subject" a parenthetical phrase (or even better I should enclose it in dashes).