WaweruM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Points are important in attending the summit, its your in the Application Video

One thing that i have noted is that Points are  as important in attending the summit as your creativity in the Application Video.

Nairobi, Nairobi County, Kenya
160 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Points are not important in attending the summit, its your in the Application Video

@WaweruM it's actually a combination of all of your Local Guides activities. Video and points are not the only things that are important for getting selected If you remember from the application they're asking a bunch of questions regarding our involvement within Local Guides. So our involvement within the community, whether offline (local meetups) or online (G+ community, Local Guides connect, etc) matters as much.

Also if you look at the videos of the people that got picked, you will see varying quality. Yes, some put a lot of effort on the video, but you'll see some that are very simple (but interesting!), and even taken with a phone camera. The team themselves has mentioned that you don't need to invest much on creating the video. They basically want to see your excitement with regards to the Local Guides Summit and program in general. So it's the matter of how you present yourself, not the matter of how much production you put in to your video. 

View solution in original post

Level 10

Re: Points are not important in attending the summit, its your in the Application Video

Hello @WaweruM, I agree that points were not counted. I want to redirect to this post. Please check this and answer me.

If you ask me back then I have no idea how LGs are selected. 🙂

Level 8

100% right.

That is the point why I'm not applied. Because I'm leaving on village area. Here no chance to making "Professional Video".

If I'm submitted my simple video, then sure guaranty end of the result = 0

Level 10

hi @WaweruM

sorry dear I completely disagree with you .

What makes a good application video?

We’re looking for Local Guides to give us a glimpse into their personality to share why they are a Local Guide and why they want to attend this year’s Summit. You do not need to create a video with special effects or video treatments, just be yourself! Please note: your video must be in English.

as announced  ( You do not need to create a video with special effects or video treatments, just be yourself ) and if you see the chosen last year 90% of them just talked selfy .  

its google maps , not a competition to make a video . 

but there is other criteria they never announced .

Level 10

@NABILazeezYour point sounds nice in writing but i am talking about the facts that i have seen, i had your thinking too but the people who were picked proved otherwise.I did not mention about adding effects to the video, i was talking about a professional video.

Level 10

Hi @WaweruM I don't agree with your opinion.

There are many parameters the LG staff is looking into an application, and a nice video is just only one; and, of course, professional tools will not ensure a nice and creative application video, that could be achieved with poor tools too.

My video application is not so nice, only three locations, almost static, and recorded using my smartphone, mounted on a tripod; the only professional tool i've used is some reflector panels and editing software 😉

Level 8

I think it's about your enthusiasm and passion. For example @StuartParker, he admittedly did not have a lot of points or views, but you can see how passionate he was about the places he's traveled to using Google Maps. He showed great enthusiasm, he didn't have over the top special affects. It wasn't about spending all day and night contributing to an app to gain points. He is out there experiencing LIFE and sharing his experiences with everyone in the world, regardless of points and views. If you go on the local guides Facebook page you can see his video 🙂 

Level 10

@WaweruM absolutely not the way you think. points,your presence in connect matter the most .when it comes to video it's just a entry form where you present your thoughts on local guide and your experience. I have seen people with poor quality video and good content got selected to the summit.so don't mistake ,I know all are disappointed but don't take it in.keep contributing ,be genuine in work and who knows you might be the first guy to get selected for summit 2018. Never lose hope mate .

Level 10

Dear @WaweruM

One of the criteria of selection is ( comfortable speaking English )

I think that is may be the obvious aim of the vedio also last year Google announced that they want to hear and see you in the vedio. 

Level 10

Dear @DiAnaUS

As mentioned by traciC 

They can't see all vedios due to large no. But if your application sound good they will see the vedio. 

In the case you mentioned, I think that they like his application but we didn't see his contributions profile to know why .